What's new

Noodler's

What is y'all's consensus on Noodler's inks? I've been having some clogging issues with the bulletproof formulas.

I have not tried my bulletproof Noodlers in any of my Lamy pens.
I had horrible luck in my Ahab, but when I tried Lamy ink, I found the problem was the pen....

But I still don't trust the ink in one of my good pens.
I need to try it in one of my cheapo Benton Clay pens.

Some colors I don't have issue with. Others I do. BBB did not behave in many pens. 5oS and BSIAR have treated me well. I got Liberty's Elsium because I needed a waterproof blue. I hope I don't have problems but I have only had it in my Pilot VP.

I don't care too much about the resistance to chemicals implied by "bulletproof", as I don't usually have chemical agents around that might get spilled. On the other hand, the water resistance of an ink is important to me. There are plenty of other brands of waterproof inks, including registrar's inks that are likely as good as Noodler's bulletproof varieties. The advantage of Noodler's is that they have them in more colors than other makers. If you want a highly water resistant ink in blue, blue-black, or black, there are other brand choices. Noodler's has waterproof/bulletproof greens, browns, and reds, and a bigger choice of waterproof purples. Unfortunately, some do clog. I generally keep them out of my nicer pens. Some varieties are no problem for me, others are trouble.

Noodler's Bad Green Gator has been no problem where I've tried it, and I don't know of any other ink maker that advertises a waterproof green. I don't use green all that often, but this is the only one I do use. Violet Vote is a good purple that hasn't caused problems. Neither has Eternal Brown, although it's not quite the shade I was looking for. I keep a Pilot Varsity refilled with Noodler's Fox as my only waterproof (and bulletproof) red.

La Reine Mauve has caused more issues than any other ink I've tried. Clogging, staining, and nib-creep. Kung Te Cheng has been trouble in some pens. Others may have accounts of trouble with different varieties.

Which bulletproof inks do you have?

The Noodler's Bulletproof Black is an outstanding performer. I have 54th Mass loaded and it is flawless in all pens tried but a few. For those it became awesome when watered down with some distilled water.

Noodler's inks are very saturated. I was once stuck away from my ink about to run out and I was able to load my pen with water and the pen ran flawlessly with a lighter but still deep shade. Amazing.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Noodler's runs the gamut.

their 'black' ink is superb. It dries a bit slowly on good paper, but nothing too bad. "Year of the Golden Pig" highlighter ink is abysmal ... turned to gelatine-goo inside my preppy highlighter.

Most of their inks are very good. Each one is its own singular balancing of different ink qualities, so some dry faster, or slower; some feather more, or less; some clog more, or less ... to me, browns seem to be "cloggy" inks.

Personally I chose to stay away from them, I do have several bottles that I occasionally use. My default ink is Diamine or Organic Studios.

There's a lot I love for noodlers out there on the boards, there's also some apprehension towards them due to concerns about staining, and some vehemently won't use them.

There's a good thread on one of the other boards. (Can I post that here? I'm on a mobile device right now so it's tough to check)

Saturated inks can be an issue, of which noodlers have a good few. I've heard watering them down 10:1 with water works nicely. I've been considering doing that to Mont Blanc blue black, which tends to gum up in my snorkel.

Rob

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Cloggy?

proxy.php

I have several different Noodler's inks and I've used them in multiple pens, both modern and vintage. So far, I've had no issues with any combinations. I have managed to avoid Bay State Blue and other super-saturated inks that have been known to cause problems with certain pens. (Current inventory: Black (bulletproof), 5 O'Clock Shadow, Kiowa Pecan, Bad Belted Kingfisher, Ottoman Azure, and Black Swan in Australian Roses)

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
It would write well, then dry up like it was running out of ink, then after a firm shake write nice and wet again. It seems to clog a lot - terribly cloggy!!

I knew what you meant but the shoe pics were my feeble attempt at being funny. :wink2:

At any rate, your issues seem to be what is known as tip drying or dry starts. In my opinion, clogging is when the pen is so stopped up it can't flow at all and needs to be soaked or taken apart to clean the ink channels. Folks have complained about both with these highly saturated inks.

Legion

Staff member
I use nothing but Noodler's these days, and have had nothing but good results in my vintage Parkers. Black Swan in Australian Roses is my go-to ink, but I've tried a lot of other colours. I'm not really a black and blue kind of guy.

Top Bottom