What's new

Nicks and burn!

OK, so I found some Proraso in a tub and some Gillette platinum blades last night and gave them a try this morning. I seem to do fine on most of my face, but my neck, particularly on the right side of my face, is a mess...lots of little nicks and razor burn. Any suggestions?

I am new at this but I will take a stab.

Assuming you shave with your right hand, could it be possible that you are applying too much pressure on the right side of your face? Shave with just the weight of the blade, aiming for beard reduction, not elimination in a single stroke. Then make another pass until you reach your desired beard length.

I've personally had bad luck with the Gilette Platinum blades, they give me terrible razor burn and slash me up to boot. But I've had good luck with the Proraso. I personally find Israeli personna's to be most gentle and forgiving. If you'd like to try to couple shoot me a PM.

Bob Loblaw said:
I am new at this but I will take a stab.

Assuming you shave with your right hand, could it be possible that you are applying too much pressure on the right side of your face? Shave with just the weight of the blade, aiming for beard reduction, not elimination in a single stroke. Then make another pass until you reach your desired beard length.

Bob,
You're really chiming in with some good insight right off the back. I never thought of that, but I experience the exact same thing. I think you're right, it's much easier for me to put more pressure on the right side of my face with my right hand (I'm right handed), that's probably why I get more razor burn and nicks on that side. Bob, again, I'm impressed. Great thinking. :thumbup:

I'm stuck with the Gillettes for at least the next week and a half as I'm traveling at the moment. When I get back I'll do a sample pack to get a better idea of what works best for me.

But let me ask a follow-up question. Since that part of my face is pretty damaged today, should I give my face a break (keeping in mind that this was only my second attempt with the DE) and use the Mach 3 tomorrow since my face is used to that? I'm thinking that would give me some time to recover.

peacefrog said:
I'm stuck with the Gillettes for at least the next week and a half as I'm traveling at the moment. When I get back I'll do a sample pack to get a better idea of what works best for me.

But let me ask a follow-up question. Since that part of my face is pretty damaged today, should I give my face a break (keeping in mind that this was only my second attempt with the DE) and use the Mach 3 tomorrow since my face is used to that? I'm thinking that would give me some time to recover.

If I were you, and you can get away from it, I'd skip shaving tomorrow all together (is this a sacrilegious thing to say on these boards?) ;) It IS Friday, and hopefully you have the weekend off. I'd keep using the skin condioners and after shave balms, but skip the actual shaving part.

I gashed my face something awful a couple weeks ago (took out a pea-sized-diameter chunk on my chin by applying too much pressure) and taking a few days off of shaving did wonders to make it heal up. And then, once I had built up a pretty thick stubble, I got to be amazed and how easily my new DE razor cut through it all.

-Mike

Monks said:
If I were you, and you can get away from it, I'd skip shaving tomorrow all together (is this a sacrilegious thing to say on these boards?) ;) It IS Friday,

Goodness no it's not sacrilege in a situation like this! It is even recommended (at least by me)! You need to let your skin heal a bit. If you can, take off Fri and the weekend. By Monday you should have a good deal of scruff and be ready to try again.

A lot of folks get their best shaves after a few days off...

Let me know if I can help with anything else.

Not shaving tomorrow is really not an option, so I think I'll use my Mach 3 since I know I at least won't make things worse. I normally don't shave on weekends, so then I'll wait until Monday.

I did something to that effect last week. I took two days off and bathed my face in aloe everytime I got within ten feet of the bathroom. My neck hurt horrible. After two days it was fine (after one day it felt fine but there was no way I was chancing it).

Two things that I have found after experimenting this week.
1. No pressure means no pressure. That was my first problem!
2. Fresh blade. I found that using a balde twice (for two shaves), a merkur super platinum, was a really bad idea for my face. With now pressure the one day old blade did naughty things to my face.

I have a sampler pack and will try to extend the sharper blades two days and maybe three but I do not have high hopes.

Bob,
How many passes are you taking when you shave with your DE? How many with the Mach 3?
If you're doing multiple passes and your face is burned and you can't take a day off, just do one pass. You'll look presentable, and it will be much easier on your face.

Top Bottom