What's new

Newbie Questions

Hi All,
After 8+ years of wet shaving with a DE, I think I might want to try a straight. I have a few questions about hones...

So let's assume I get a decent razor shave ready from one of the many vendors and a decent starter strop. I can see that the strop has many variables to get right and it would be very possible to kill the edge due to improper technique. I'm guessing this is where a hone comes in... What hone (or hones), would I need for this task?

I'm reading that newbies also have issues with honing, but I have a little more trouble understanding that. In my experience in honing pocket knives, the hardest thing is getting the angle right, this is not a consideration with straights as you hone with the tang on the stone, correct? So I guess I fail to see how you could mess it up, please enlighten me!

I have honed knives since I was a small child, but straights for only the last 4 years or so. Straights were and continue to be very educational. The basics of honing remain the same and you will find that you have a very solid foundation to build on. The main difference for me was I never realized how much variation could exist in an edge that will shave. With knives I typically honed until they would shave. My brother and I would try to out do one another for bragging rights. Our tests were would it shave above skin level or what you will see listed here as tree topping. I thought moving to straights would be easy as pie, because surely a tree topping edge would be plenty right? Well, not so much. You will start to explore different levels of shaving sharp. My advice would be to read a LOT in the honing forum before you get started. Read up on different synthetic hones, films, natural hones etc, because all can get you to where you want to be, but you might as well have fun while your at it. Pick a method that appeals to you and then jump in. I am primarily a coticule guy but will refrain from pitching that to you (as bad as I would like to) because we all enjoy different things. In my casual observation it seems like the science and math guys are drawn to synthetics. The high tech guys are drawn to films. The lovers of the old fashioned and historical lean towards natural hones. We all have our reasons to use what we use and we all end up with razors that shave well. Read up and pick your favorite and then jump in! The water is fine!

Sharp enough to shave is not the same as smooth on your face. And that spine that makes straight razor honing so "easy" can sometimes hurt more than it helps - like when it isn't straight or someone has honed it unevenly. Happens more often than you'd think.

Substitute "spine" for "tang" and the rest makes sense.

If you've already been sharpening pocket knives, you already have some hones in your possession. Knowing what these are would be helpful.

I suggest reading post 15 here http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/439553-Honing-advise for an objective and comprehensive overview of stone options for honing razors.

I also come at this from a knife sharpening background. As was mentioned, there are nuances to honing a comfortably keen and sharp edge that maximizes effectiveness of the razor that one rarely pays any attention to when sharpening a knife. Different tools for different applications. The successful straight shaver and straight razor sharpener must pay attention to minute differences in technique in order to obtain successful results at either. I am relatively new to both sides, and I find the journey fascinating. I suggest you get started. We only get so many shaves in our lifetime, I would hate to see you waste any more than necessary.

Substitute "spine" for "tang" and the rest makes sense.

If you've already been sharpening pocket knives, you already have some hones in your possession. Knowing what these are would be helpful.
Probably nothing too applicable, I'm sharpening pocket knives only, so a small selection of DMT diamond hones and a jig to get the angle right. I then finish on a scrap of leather with CrOx on the rough side and strop on the good.

But reading quite a bit in the past few days I think I will go the coticule route, this appeals to me on several levels.

Probably nothing too applicable, I'm sharpening pocket knives only, so a small selection of DMT diamond hones and a jig to get the angle right. I then finish on a scrap of leather with CrOx on the rough side and strop on the good.

But reading quite a bit in the past few days I think I will go the coticule route, this appeals to me on several levels.

There is no shortage of coticule information on B&B and everyone is very willing to share what they have learned. A bit of a learning curve, but no doubt they are my favorite hones.

Top Bottom