What's new

Newbie in New England

Hello all!

I’ve been a big user of forums for other things over the years, mostly automotive… so when I started getting interested in collecting razors I of course had to find a forum, so here I am!

I picked up my first DE on eBay probably 3-4 years ago… some super cheap Chinese made TTO. It didn’t shave all that well and because of that I only used it occasionally. To be fair, I didn’t experiment with different blades or do much reading on technique, either. Despite the limited use the plating started to flake off of the head… at that point I just left it on the stand and went back to the Wilkinson Sword disposables that I had been using before.

Fast forward to this summer… I was poking around an antique/junk shop back in June and I came across a real Gillette TTO for peanuts ($5). Great shape, no corrosion… had to get it. Did a little digging when I got home and it wound up being a 1966 Super Speed :). It cleaned up really nicely and took the place of the crappy Chinese version, which has now gone to razor heaven lol.

My fiancé thought the whole thing was interesting I guess, because she was nice enough to get me some shaving gifts for my birthday in early July. She went all out at The Art Of Shaving and got me a Muhle R89, a nice chrome stand, a chrome handled fine badger hair brush, some shave soap, and teak shave bowl! She's pretty awesome.

I’ve since picked up a 1956 Tech Ball-end from the same shop I found the Super Speed, but haven’t shaved with it yet. Spent a few hours this weekend at other shops and flea markets, but came up empty handed… we found a few razors for sale but they were either vastly over-priced, gold plated, or both. I don’t like the look of gold so I didn’t examine them too closely, but I might go back and buy one of the reasonably priced gold ones… upon further research last night I think it might be a NEW (was marked with a “reissue” patent number)?

I’m trying hard to preserve the joy of the hunt by resisting the urge to buy online … we’ll see how long I can hold out though lol… lots of cool stuff out there!

I do want to try and get my hands on a birth-year razor, and I think the odds of finding that locally are pretty slim. Was Gillette (or anyone) making decent DE’s in 1985??

Hello and welcome. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

Hi, welcome to B&B
Gillette still made the Super Adjustable in 1985
I know how hard it is to find birth-year razors - my dream birth-year razor is a 1969 (O4) Gillette Super Adjustable, so far all the ones I've seen on eBay were either in less than tip top condition, or they were asking silly money for them.
Birth-year razors are a special thing which will hold a lot of sentimental value, it's better to wait for a year or two until you find the right one for a good price than it is to buy one for the sake of it and get ripped off on the quality or price.

Last edited:
There are razors from your birth year/quarter. My advice is to not let an opportunity for one pass, unless the price is simply too high for you. It's worth as much as you think it is. I have one, and like it immensely. Happy hunting!

Thanks for all of the welcomes!

Of course after saying i wantd to stay off of ebay... i of course had to see what was going on over on ebay... wound up bidding on and winning what appears to be an early '47 Super Speed that was ending this afternoon.

As far as the birth year razor it looks like a member has a nice looking '85 adjustable for sale right now... wrong quarter though... to buy or not to buy hmm....

Of course after saying i wantd to stay off of ebay... i of course had to see what was going on over on ebay... wound up bidding on and winning what appears to be an early '47 Super Speed that was ending this afternoon.

As far as the birth year razor it looks like a member has a nice looking '85 adjustable for sale right now... wrong quarter though... to buy or not to buy hmm....

DO IT! It's hard to find adjustable in the 80s during my searches. Even harder to find your quarter. Worst case scenario, you buy it and use it. Down the line you find your birth quarter, and you either sell or PIF the original one you bought.

Win win scenario. :)

To buy:laugh:

Stopped back in at the antique shop this morning to take a second look at the gold razor i mentioned above... luckily it was still there and I decided to get it! I figured, if the gold doesn't grow on me perhaps I'll be able to trade it here for something else...

Got it home and cleaned it up... some plate loss on the head but it still looks pretty good. One slightly bent corner tooth. A few minutes of research later and I'm fairly certain it's a Short Comb NEW with the bar style handle! Looking forward to shaving with it, if nothing else!

This whole razor hobby is making me consider shaving off my beard, for the first time in a while! I've worn a goatee and other smaller style beards on and off since high school, but I've been wearing a mostly full beard now since summer 2012. All I really shave is my upper cheekline and neck.

Top Bottom