What's new

Newbie check-in from me

Hi all! I posted in my welcome thread yesterday, but figured I'd do one of these too. :001_302:

Still a newbie, while I got my Stirling Starter kit spring 2017 I only tried it a few times before it got forgotten in the closet. I still had a couple cartridges left and shaved very rarely anyways.

This spring I'm getting back into it after a bit of cartridge-refill sticker-shock reminding me of the stashed kit I have. :ohmy: I think I failed on the saving money bit, because all the samples I've bought since then are easily 2+ cart-refill packs worth. :001_302:

I know I need more lather practice. The lather on my skin seems to start disappearing before I've completely finished a full pass and it's doesn't feel very slick. The advice I got when I asked before was "load more soap", but my most recent shave was from a tiny sample jar soap so I may have skimped the scoop.

Gear I have:

Brush: Stirling Lil' Brudder
Razor: Stirling beginner kit razor w/ SS handle DE3P7S
Current Blade:
Derby Extra
Bowl: Tidbit bowl that looks like half a lime. Inside design is slightly indented

I have the Feather blade left from my original sampler, a 5 pack each of Voskhod and Derby Extra, and a pair each of 5 other brands I picked off TryABlade

Alum in case from Maggard - does the thing, but the end is crumbly (was expected from reading here though)

Soap Samples - I haven't bought any full soap pucks/tubs yet, but I have a wishlist started!
Stirling
Tea Tree - not tried yet
Sandalwood & Vanilla - Not tried yet
Bay Rum - I like it, but maybe not a full tub's worth
Coconut Lime - I like citrus, would buy tub
Island Man - not tried yet, but like the scent through the wrapper
Hipster - I like it, not decided about getting more
Rambling Man - not tried yet, but like the scent through the wrapper
(I need more tins so I can have more open/in rotation)

Chiseled Face Summer Storm - Tried last night. I NEED all the things in this scent! Sorry wallet!

B&M Reserve Spice - not tried yet, but like the scent
B&M Le Grand Chypre - not tried yet, but like the scent a lot
Wholly Kaw Fougere Bouquet - not tried yet, but like the scent

Also have 2 tubes of the India Old Spice shaving cream bc I wanted to try it & it was cheap on Amazon

Stirling Witch hazel & Aloe samples:
Lemon Chill - it's okay, lemon pledge scent that quickly fades to Froot Loop lemon.
Margaritas in the Arctic - I like it, want the soap now
Coniferous - I like it, want the soap now

Stirling AS samples:
Executive Man - It's ok, might put on Hubby if he has an interview
Stirling Gentleman - It's ok, might put on Hubby if he has an interview
Coconut Lime - I like it
Pharaohs Dreamsicle - Need to try more
Ozark Mountain - Very fresh-cut Xmas tree lot to me

Welcome and holy cow you've got a ton of stuff you've yet to use lol.

I haven't tried any Derby blades but they done seem to be well liked here and my preferences are for much sharper blades.

Either way enjoy and happy shaves,

Mawashi

So far everything I have vaguely fits in the little box that my original Stirling order came in, all the soap is samples besides the Old Spice tubes. The Stirling samples I haven't tried yet I don't have containers for. They are waiting until I get more tins or finish something up. The other three I just got Monday. I forgot to list a half sample of Arkadia that was my original order freebie, that's taking up a tin ^_^

I do need to find better storage though, it's close to overflowing and I probably don't want to leave stuff sitting out - my dog looked like he thought the Coconut Lime soap smelled pretty tasty!

I'll admit I'm super susceptible to Acquisition Disorder - I've been lovingly accused of collecting collections & hobbies, lol! I'm already trying to fit those two new Noble Otter soaps into next month's budget and maybe a full size of CF Summer Storm to be followed by the matching AS & cologne. (where's the throwing-cash-smiley when you need him?)

Welcome to the club. Glad to have you aboard. The handle you picked sounds like it could be painful if you dropped it. :001_rolle

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome the the forum, thanks for checking in and sharing photos of your shaving gear. We LOVE photos.

The handle you picked sounds like it could be painful if you dropped it. :001_rolle

Haha :thumbup1: I picked that handle because it looked really difficult to drop! They only way it should be possible to drop is if I accidentally knock it off the sink or something.

Thanks for the Welcome!:jump:

20190507_130212.jpg
A slightly better pic of my bowl with the brush in it :shaving:

Ok, so I read through the lathering tutorial & managed to load the brush for the first time without getting lather spilling off the puck.

Still struggling with the next part - making the lather in my bowl with the loaded brush. I'm adding a few drops of water at a time, but most of the lather being made is staying in the brush. I got to a point where I decided to go ahead with my shave, and got no nicks, but the lather doesn't seem as moist and fluffy as in the tutorial.

I'll have to bring my phone along next time and get pics :glare: but then I'm sure it'll probably work perfectly just because I'm trying to recreate the problem! :lol:

Ok, so I read through the lathering tutorial & managed to load the brush for the first time without getting lather spilling off the puck.

Still struggling with the next part - making the lather in my bowl with the loaded brush. I'm adding a few drops of water at a time, but most of the lather being made is staying in the brush. I got to a point where I decided to go ahead with my shave, and got no nicks, but the lather doesn't seem as moist and fluffy as in the tutorial.

I'll have to bring my phone along next time and get pics :glare: but then I'm sure it'll probably work perfectly just because I'm trying to recreate the problem! :lol:

A small synthetic like that shouldn't be too much of a lather hog.

The good news is: it's only two ingredients! Soap is cheap and water is free. If there's not enough lather you can always squeeze the brush contents out into the bowl and go back to the soap to load more. Lathering for longer can add some extra fluff and volume to it. Opinions vary, but in my book while a fluffy lather is satisfying to use, volume doesn't necessarily mean it's slick. You've got a list of samples to work on so lather up!

Howdy. Astra SP blades might work better for you.

Lather tip: Start with a damp brush. Add a couple drops of water at a time until you achieve happiness.

I did grab 2 of those in my TryABlade order. I currently have to try:

2 ASTRA - Superior Platinum
2 Dorco - ST-300 Platinum
2 Viking's Sword - Stainless
2 Personna - Med Prep
2 Wilkinson - Sword (Indian)
5 Voskhod - Teflon Coated
5 Derby - Extra

And the Feather left from my first sampler. I read thru other people's suggestions while I was ordering ^_^

Congrats on getting back into wet shaving, it's a wonderful pastime! You're getting some good advice, start with a damp brush, & load until you think you have too much soap loaded. It may seem thick & pasty on the brush, that's OK. Then start swirling in your bowl, add a few drops of water numerous times & work the lather in your bowl. It may take a minute or longer. Add more water. If you're still not getting a good lather, load more soap from the puck.

Another way to lather is to face lather, which means don't use the bowl. Load the brush the same way, then with a damp face, start swirling the brush on your face, adding more water to your brush as you continue to paint the latehr on your face. Keep swirling & adding a few drops of water at a time.

You'll get the hang of it & it will then be easy. But starting out it's frustrating to always get the lather wrong.

Best tip - enjoy!

I had been shaving for almost 50 years when I switched to DE in my 60s. Lathering was the hardest thing for me to master, especially with my well water. It wasn't until I ignored all the tutorials, stopped bowl lathering and went to face lathering soaps that things finally began to click. While many like a wet lather, I went the other way. Blooming soaps, splashing the bloom water on my face, shaking most of the water out of the brush (only adding droplets of water to the soap as needed) and going with a drier, pasty lather worked for me. I'm not saying my method will work for you. I'm just trying to say, don't take any method as gospel and don't keep making the same mistakes. Keep experimenting until you find what works. Once you "crack the code", you won't regret it.

Top Bottom