What's new

New to strictly DE, have a few blade & razor questions.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm new to this...

I have always been into fine wet shaving with various cartridge razor handles, brushes, creams, soaps, etc. but have recently made the switch to strictly DE shaving. I dabbled in the past with an old Gillette black handle butterfly but was scared to make a full switch due to sensitive skin and a crazy grain pattern below the jaw line.

After receiving a Microtouch One with ST300's for Christmas I checked out some YouTube videos about it (and DE shaving in general) and got hooked. I have had really good success with the Microtouch & ST300's since Christmas so I decided to try a few different higher end razors and ordered a sample pack of blades. I went with the Merkur Futur and a Parker 48R. I absolutely loved the few shaves with the Futur and the Merkur blade it came with (although I did suffer a nick or two which I didn't with the MT1 & ST300's). However, I had a major problem with the 48R. I used it with a Feather blade I have only heard great things about, but what ensued was a bloodbath below the jaw line. Nothing from my routine changed as far as prep and technique but this razor and blade set up killed me. I did make sure the blade looked straight and thought I was holding the razor at the proper angle but it does have a much steeper head than the MT1 and Gillette butterflies I was using.

Questions are... Is the Feather a bit too much blade for a noob DE shaver and may there be other to potentially avoid? Could it have been the 48R? It does (at least in my opinion) look a lot more aggressive due to the angle of the head, blade gap, etc. than my others so maybe I just need to develop a little better technique before trying a razor that aggressive?

Any tips will help, thank you... glad to be part of B&B!!!

Welcome to B&B!

I don't know which setting you used with the Futur, but if you didn't experience any issues with it (and it's considered one of the most aggressive razors), then I'd say you're right on track.

Might have been an angle issue with the Parker? I haven't tried one, but looks like a clone of the EJ/Muhle heads, should be fairly mild, but I might be wrong.

Try a shallower angle, shallow angles are always a safe bet. This means more cap touching your face, handle almost parallel to the floor.
Try other blades too, different blades produce different results in different razors.

Here's some very useful info I recommend reading as well:

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Getting_started_wetshaving

Good luck!

Hello and welcome, nite3rd. Great to have you here. B&B is a super forum full of friendly, helpful shavers. You will learn a lot here!

Thank you for the link and the helpful hints. I have had the Futur on a 1 (which I assume is the least aggressive). Shaved with it again tonight with a Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (which I have heard is a pretty smooth blade). Didn't get as close after two passes but it was relatively painless shave and didn't re-open any of the cuts from the last shave. Going to stick with that setup for a while as to not introduce too many variables in.

I use a muhle handle with Astra blades in it. I've tried at least a half dozen different blades in with varying degrees of success. IF you like the Parker I'd get a variety pack of blades and play around them. Different blades will give you different results.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Staying with a blade/razor combo for a while that works for you is a good idea until you get used to the characteristics.

You might try doing shorter strokes/passes with your razor. This is especially true on the chin and neck area. Watch the pressure - no pressure. Go slow and prep well. Prep is a major part of a good shave.

Welcome to the forum, we're pleased to have you as a member! Looks like you've already receive some helpful advice.

Whoever gifted you that one-touch should be informed of your new growing interests. Everyone enjoys learning that their gifts given, however modest, brought new joys to someone.
Here in the noob section there are a couple threads where people first graduated to Feather after several weeks with other blades, and to their surprise did not mutilate themselves. I have not yet had or tried a 48R but have tried the Feather in a Mühle R106. With a length of experience similar to yours - I took it up in early January - and using same techniques and very light pressure, I had no cuts. The Microtouch appears similar to a couple Weishi variants that I have, and those Weishis, in my experience, deliver about the same shave as the middle-of-the-road Mühle R106. There would be no reason not to try the same blade in a different razor, even going back to the Microtouch, which has a handling and performance that is already known to you. That way you will be using an old technology troubleshooting trick and testing your variables only one at a time. If you get a better result then you will know with certainty that there is something about the 48R that requires some change of technique. You can also play with different blades in the 48R, since blades are inexpensive.
Though I baby-stepped the first use of the Feather with the lightest and most cautious strokes, I could still sense its sharpness. However, it made no difference in the overall shave experience. It still took the habitual number of passes to get to BBS. Once past the novelty of trying the Feather, I will have no reason to get brand-loyal with it. I will stick with the Derbys and make occasional forays into some other blades that I have available for rotation.

Thank you for the link and the helpful hints. I have had the Futur on a 1 (which I assume is the least aggressive). Shaved with it again tonight with a Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (which I have heard is a pretty smooth blade). Didn't get as close after two passes but it was relatively painless shave and didn't re-open any of the cuts from the last shave. Going to stick with that setup for a while as to not introduce too many variables in.

Have you improved yet?

Have you improved yet?

Doing a lot better. Been shaving every other day and using a lot of the tips from this thread. Angle and pressure seem to be the trick. Actually tried the 48R again earlier this week, stuck with the 7 O'Clock blades, and had much better results this time around.

Welcome,
Started and stuck with Personna Blues to rule out variables. It's seems all about practicing technique.

Cheers
John

Doing a lot better. Been shaving every other day and using a lot of the tips from this thread. Angle and pressure seem to be the trick. Actually tried the 48R again earlier this week, stuck with the 7 O'Clock blades, and had much better results this time around.

Staying with the same exact routine is a preferred method til you get better.

Top Bottom