What's new

New to FPs. Looking for some help.

Hey guys, like I said I'm very new to fountain pens. I've been sneaking looks in the nib every now and again. I have to admit that I'm very curious. So let's get down to business. I want a nice daily writer that's dependable. I'm looking at $100 (minus shipping) at the most and before you say it, I don't want a Parker 51. I understand that they are really nice and all but, I just don't like the cover over the nib. I know, I know, I'm sure I just sinned by saying that but, I just can't get over it no matter how awesome it performs. I'm sure I just offended a god or two by saying that. I have been looking at the Platinum #3776 Century and I was wondering how you guys feel about it. If not the Platinum then what would you recommend, maybe a vintage?

Thanks for your time,
Richard

Last edited:
Welcome. While you mentioned looking at a $100 pen the Platinum is o.k. They are the parent company of the reknown Nakaya Pen company. Pens I would look at are the Pilot Vanishing Point. You can find one for $150-$175. Very good writers. I know a lot of people suggest pens in the $50 or less range but I like pens in the $125-$200 range. Better nibs and better pens in general. Sailor 1911 Standard are very nice pens and smooth writers. If you are near a large city you might want to search for a store such as Paradise Pen that might have a selection you can look at.

Welcome. While you mentioned looking at a $100 pen the Platinum is o.k. They are the parent company of the reknown Nakaya Pen company. Pens I would look at are the Pilot Vanishing Point. You can find one for $150-$175. Very good writers. I know a lot of people suggest pens in the $50 or less range but I like pens in the $125-$200 range. Better nibs and better pens in general. Sailor 1911 Standard are very nice pens and smooth writers. If you are near a large city you might want to search for a store such as Paradise Pen that might have a selection you can look at.

I live a little over an hour from Memphis. I don't know if they have anything like that but, I'm going to look later on tonight. I have seen the Sailor 1911 and it's very nice. I haven't really looked at the Pilot yet. There's so much to look at. I thought choosing shave gear was tuff, lol. Thanks for your input.

Do you prefer a large or small pen?
Do you have a filling method preference? (cartridge/converter, piston, etc)
Would you prefer new or used?

You may have to take a guess on this one, what size nib do you prefer (extra small, small, medium, bold, etc)

The Lamy All-Star is an inexpensive, cartridge and converter (c/c) pen with a steel nib.
The Pelikan M200 fits your budget and has a piston filler and a gold-plated steel nib, but is a smaller pen.

In the $100 range, you should be able to get a nice M200 series Pelikan. The piston fill holds a ton of ink and they write like a dream. I have 5 of them and love them. Nice smooth writer, medium size, just a great pen for the money.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
For $121.50 you can get a Pilot Custom Heritage 92 piston filler, direct from Japan. Comes in other colours if you don't like the blue, and other nib sizes.

The same seller could get you a Vanishing Point (mentioned above) for about $90.

Do you prefer a large or small pen?
Do you have a filling method preference? (cartridge/converter, piston, etc)
Would you prefer new or used?

You may have to take a guess on this one, what size nib do you prefer (extra small, small, medium, bold, etc)

The Lamy All-Star is an inexpensive, cartridge and converter (c/c) pen with a steel nib.
The Pelikan M200 fits your budget and has a piston filler and a gold-plated steel nib, but is a smaller pen.

I'm new so some of that I have no idea, lol. Size doesn't really matter. I've used all kinds of ball points and it never bothered me. I kinda like the cartridge/converter but, I'm sure I could get used to anything. On nib size I was thinking either fine or medium or one of each. I have a guy that I'm talking to who reapairs/cleans/sells them and he's going to send me some pictures of some of his stuff. A good used pen might be just what I need anyway. I'll have a good working pen while I save up some more money for maybe a fancier one. Thanks guys for the help. iF anyone still has any nuggets feel free to share. I've read a lot of good ones so far including that Pelikan.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I think your choice is a very good one, the nibs on the Platinum #3776 Century pens are unusually smooth. The pen mentioned by Doc4 is also quite nice with a better ink capacity. Both have well-proven Japanese 14K gold nibs.

I'd probably choose a slightly used Pelikan for that price but I'm notorious for that.

Lots of good vintage pens in that price range: most Esterbrooks, several models of Sheaffers including lever fillers and Touchdowns, Parker 45, and my favorite for the money - the Eversharp Symphony. Do some research to find out what types of filling systems you'd prefer, size, appearance, etc. Good luck, ask more questions, and let us know what you get.

I'd like to try something cheaper (around $50, maybe?) and vintage. Any suggestions? It will be my first pen.

Top Bottom