What's new

NEW STONES

Can any one tell me what grit, stones these are? Not sure how to tell. Any help will be appreciated.
One has to different sides and the other is all one stone.
Thanks

Attachments

• PXL_20240106_204641857.jpg
    PXL_20240106_204641857.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 87
  • PXL_20240106_204655172.jpg
    PXL_20240106_204655172.jpg
    784.1 KB · Views: 80
  • PXL_20240106_204628287.jpg
    PXL_20240106_204628287.jpg
    897.3 KB · Views: 86
  • PXL_20240106_204806465.jpg
    PXL_20240106_204806465.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 79
  • PXL_20240106_204826060.jpg
    PXL_20240106_204826060.jpg
    887.9 KB · Views: 90
On my tablet. first looks like a synth oilstone. The second may be a hard arkansas? Someone on a desktop able to confirm?

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
The second one does look like a modern hark Arkansas. Neat stone if it is with the pink hues.

Looks like a carbo/ fine India combo and then either a very fine soft ark/pink translucent and then a translucent Arkim not sure but the first pic looks like a SiC, is the second and third pic the same stone?

The first one could be a lot of things, India is not one of my guesses. I had a soft/hard Ark combo that looked similar but I can't tell by pix, I'd have to handle the stones to know. Guessing is fun but it's guessing. When I deal with stones, I prefer facts over guesses. Guesswork turns into fleabay listings with dubious titles all too often. If there is no chance of getting any background info on them, then try sharpening stuff on them, see how it goes. That will tell you something about what you're dealing with, grit-wise. If it's important enough, maybe send them to someone that knows stones to evaluate.

The first one could be a lot of things, India is not one of my guesses. I had a soft/hard Ark combo that looked similar but I can't tell by pix, I'd have to handle the stones to know. Guessing is fun but it's guessing. When I deal with stones, I prefer facts over guesses. Guesswork turns into fleabay listings with dubious titles all too often. If there is no chance of getting any background info on them, then try sharpening stuff on them, see how it goes. That will tell you something about what you're dealing with, grit-wise. If it's important enough, maybe send them to someone that knows stones to evaluate.
I have reason to believe they are Arkansas stones, especially the pink one. I have nothing to base it on though. Thanks for your help.

Grey side is definitely synth oilstone (OK iM 99% sure of this... there's a sliiiim chance as Gamma noted that it could be a black ark with an absolutely laughably rough finish on it). White side of that stone may be a soft ark or reform ark, or another synth. I'd lean towards it's a Crystolon/soft ark combo...

Pink one is a translucent ark.

My guess is it's a nice tri-stone combo (boxed instead of on the rotating axis)... with a Coarse Crysto, Soft ark & Hard ark... probably some store brand from 90s/early 00's. Pretty sure Nat whetstone co sold a set almost identical to this years ago (though I dont think they're getting translucent material that nice anymore so it probably wouldn't be recent).

Last edited:
I only said I had an Ark combo that looked like that.
I wasn't guessing that is what it is. I have no idea what the OP's stone is.
Could be 2 naturals, could be 1 natural one synth, or two synths. Dunno without holding it.
I was trying to convey that a lot of things look like a lot of things and guessing can cause confusion.
Honing on them might shed some light on the subject though....

Top Bottom