What's new

NEW Santa Maria Novella - Reformulated

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Just for the record,
I'm really starting to like the new version.

It's completely different from the old, and it's close cousin Proraso.

Curious how you think it compares to the new Proraso. I have the old SMN and new Proraso green tub, and I can't tell the difference, frankly, I'll stick with the new Proraso. I could tell the difference with OLD Proraso, but now I would not buy SMN again over the new Proraso green.

Since I have not compared new Proraso to new SMN, I'm curious what you think.

Curious how you think it compares to the new Proraso. I have the old SMN and new Proraso green tub, and I can't tell the difference, frankly, I'll stick with the new Proraso. I could tell the difference with OLD Proraso, but now I would not buy SMN again over the new Proraso green.

Since I have not compared new Proraso to new SMN, I'm curious what you think.

Interesting question.
I'd say the new SMN is tad more like the old Proraso. The lather doesn't 'explode' as much as the new Proraso, however it feels more like a milled soap of sorts. It's given me the closest shaves in a long time. Although there is no lanoline anymore, I believe that they've compensated in adding more veggie oils than any other previous version of their Proraso or SMN. This may explain why lathering is a tad more tedious.
Load your brush properly, and be generous with water and you'll have no problems at all.

Also, the addition of a SMN signature scent 'Toscano', and extra veggie oils finally makes it stand apart from Proraso. You won't be confusing these two anymore.

Hope this helps clarify things a tad more.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
No lanolin means I can now try this legendary cream. But if it is now a different formula is it still legendary?

If you really want to, go for it, by all means. But here is why I would not bother, and it's based on logic (which probably does not work around here :lol: )

The old SMN was clearly a little better than the old Proraso. Enough to justify the upcharge? That's YMMV. But it was better.

I have a tub of the new Proraso and the old SMN and I flat out cannot tell the difference. I really can't. Now folks say the reformulation of SMN was not the clear winner Proraso's reform was. So, if ...

Let A = old Proraso
Let B = old SMN
Let C = new Proraso
Let D = new SMN

A < B That was pretty much a given around here.

B = C That's my opinion, but any differences others could tease out are clearly reduced with new Proraso.

D < B Assuming that is the consensus, then it follows that

D < C

I'd skip the new SMN. If you liked the old, keep an eye out for it. But I'm not the least bit interested in the new SMN. I LOVE the new Proraso.

I'd skip the new SMN. If you liked the old, keep an eye out for it. But I'm not the least bit interested in the new SMN. I LOVE the new Proraso.

Now that I noticed the new formulation still has menthol (although near the bottom of the list) I will take a pass on all of them. Thanks for the rec, though.

My favorite luxury cream, now gone to the dumps! Still like their EDT and will use them. I have bad luck when they change formula. Such as Cyril Salter. I have TH and Castle Forbes still. Again, this is the best cream out there. Nice day, Jimmy

Proraso is by no means a slouch. With my floppy brush I'm able to get exceptional lather with it. Load time is a bit longer than most but the lather is worth it. I always chuckle here is a soap for only $10 that can hit far above it's price to performance ratio. Many soaps have come and gone but this Proraso will always be in my rotation.

I tried a sample of the old SMN and liked it very much. I was set to order but was disappointed they made a formulation change. I decided to try RR Santa Maria. RR Santa Maria contains lanolin and is eucalyptus scented but contains no menthol. It has a clean and not heavily scented eucalyptus scent. I find it really a great performer. I added a drop of lanolin and a few drops of menthol oil, really nice and a little different from anything else I have tried. Quite happy with this purchase. When I run this out I will make a decision as to trying the new SMN, RR XXX Eucalyptus or reorder RR Santa Maria. Proraso will always be in the mix. Nice to see there are a nice number of eucalyptus and eucalyptus/menthol variants to chose from.

Reading this thread earlier in the day made me decide to use my old SMN cream for this evening's shave. What a shave! I haven't had a shave with this little irritation in quite some time. Near BBS. What a slick lather and the post shave feel is great as well. I hope my old formulation tub of SMN lasts forever as it has been rumored to do for some in the past. This is great stuff.

Ben

Top Bottom