What's new

New Plant-Based Synthetic from Mühle

What a start to 2024! It seems Muhle has just dropped some super interesting news. They're introducing a new plant based fibre that will be the standard in their STF line going forward:

"This eco-efficient fibre consists of 37% renewable, plant-based raw materials. The revolutionary polymer impresses with its durability, flexibility and high volume. At the same time, its production requires 30% less energy and produces 63% fewer greenhouse gases than the production of conventional synthetic fibres."

It's interesting that only 37% of the materials are plant based and they haven't managed to make a 100% plant based knot yet. I also found it interesting that they haven't really listed an easy way of acquiring the new plant based fibre in a brush other than the Sophist line on their original site, and that doesn't ship to Canada or USA (the muhle usa website doesn't even mention the plant based fibres yet). So we'll have to wait on the opinions of our European friends first.

I do have a direct line with Muhle so I'm working on getting a sample in, and if it's as good as the original STF, offering it as a loose knot option. I'll keep you all posted on that front.

Read more here: Saving natural resources has never been so beautiful - https://www.muehle-shaving.com/en/blog/sophist

Plus some UGLY year of Dragon Stuff. Just got the email, :eek2:

I'm a big fan of the current STF knots. They don't have the scritch of the scritchy badgers, if that's what you like most. But they do work well with everything from creams to triple milled soaps and have more scrubbiness than most synthetics I've tried. I hope the new fibers are just as good as the old and this isn't like when all the European soaps changed formulations to eliminate tallow.

Very interested to hear your thoughts once you receive a sample or two.

So it’s arrived. Haven’t had a shave with it yet as it’s drying in a handle as I type this but it’s quite an interesting knot. My initial thoughts are that I’m impressed. There’s a few subtle differences I can detect off the bat, colour being the biggest with the tips whiter on the original STF, but overall the feel is remarkably similar, considering over 1/3 of this knot is now using plant based materials. Quite stunning how similar they are given this fact. More details to come as I get a few shaves in it. Drop me a line if you have any questions!
IMG_3428.jpeg

IMG_3430.jpeg

IMG_3431.jpeg
IMG_3432.jpeg

I would like to know how it compares to your titanium knot.
The STF is definitely more splay friendly and as such has way less backbone. The firmness of the fibers is significantly less.

I compare more knots to the STF here [link below] (will update it with the plant based STF once I try it out a bit more)

Aren't all synthetics to some part plant based anyway?? The fibers are made from petrochemicals (i.e. crude oil) and the crude oil is created from dead organisms such as algae and zooplankton. I contacted Muehle to clarify this a bit.
Interested to hear what they say but disagree based on their original messaging: “This eco-efficient fibre consists of 37% renewable, plant-based raw materials.”

Crude oil would surely not be considered renewable.

Not sure how to answer this one as I don’t feel a noticeable scritch in STFv2…anyone else experience this? Or maybe you had received a defective knot?
I’m comparing to Plisson blonde fiber. Maybe it’s relative. Have you tried the Plisson? Plisson’s current offering is closer to STF from what I have read.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
They answered me early this morning, and here it what the wrote (translated from German to English by Mr Google):
"Dear Mr. Vey,
Thank you for your message.
Yes that is correct. In the spirit of sustainability, we now use a plant-based fiber to mix our synthetic brush fibers. This ecoefficient fiber consists of 37% renewable, plant-based raw materials. The revolutionary polymer impresses with its durability, flexibility and high volume. At the same time, its production requires 30% less energy and produces 63% fewer greenhouse gases than the production of conventional synthetic fibers."

They answered me early this morning, and here it what the wrote (translated from German to English by Mr Google):
"Dear Mr. Vey,
Thank you for your message.
Yes that is correct. In the spirit of sustainability, we now use a plant-based fiber to mix our synthetic brush fibers. This ecoefficient fiber consists of 37% renewable, plant-based raw materials. The revolutionary polymer impresses with its durability, flexibility and high volume. At the same time, its production requires 30% less energy and produces 63% fewer greenhouse gases than the production of conventional synthetic fibers."
It seems that if you asked them if today is Monday their answer would be:

“Yes it is Monday. In the spirit of sustainability, we now use a plant-based fiber to mix our synthetic brush fibers. This ecoefficient fiber consists of 37% renewable, plant-based raw materials. The revolutionary polymer impresses with its durability, flexibility and high volume. At the same time, its production requires 30% less energy and produces 63% fewer greenhouse gases than the production of conventional synthetic fibers.”

Top Bottom