What's new

New Member from Canada! Hello everyone! :

Hello! I just joined up and this is my first post.

I recently made the switch to DE shaving and I'm really excited about it. Kind of feels like a new hobby blossoming.

So a little back story; For years and years I was using those cheap plastic Wal-Mart disposable razors... You know, the store brand kind that come in a pack of ten and cost like $2.95. And using the cheapest shave gel they sold too. So my typical shaving set up cost me basically $5 or 6 and I'd stretch it as long as I could, basically until the razors ran out, got too clogged up, or started actually hurting me when I shaved.... Terrible, right? But that's how I did it for a long time. Often skipping shaving for days or even weeks just because I hated those blue plastic devils, but not wanting to pay for anything else.

I'd like to say I didn't know any better, but the reality is I did know better, and just let price dictate the choice. About a year ago I got fascinated with straight razors and bought a Gold Dollar off eBay thinking that would be a game changer. But once again economy played a role and because I wasn't willing to buy a strop, brush, stones, and everything else needed, the cheapo Gold Dollar eventually dulled out and became useless for shaving and has now acted as a letter opener for most of this year. Partly my own fault too, because I (stupidly) attempted to "strop" it using a pant leg off an old pair of jeans and probably ended up rolling the blade and blunting it to a point where I can't even slide it down my cheek without major tugging and pain.

View attachment 710431

So last week, I noticed Wal-mart selling a DE shave set! At first I through it wasn't worth it, because I assumed it was a junk Chinese razor and synthetic brush. But after coming online and seeing some comments and even a video review of it, I was more impressed. $29.99 Canadian got me a Merkur 34c knock-off made by Wahl, a decent boar hair brush, a small little bowl perfect size for Williams Mug soap, and a plastic stand. Plus one Chinese made blade. Not too bad all things considered. I looked around, and reasoned that buying all those things off Amazon or eBay would likely cost me 2 or even 3 times more with shipping.

View attachment 710437

5 days later and already I can see a lot of my facial irritation has gone away, and several ingrown hairs/bumps have finally lifted to the surface and are now healing up. I'm very happy! It was well worth the $29.99 in my opinion. Picked up some cheap Aqua Velva after shave to cool my face down.

View attachment 710440

There are no shave shops around where I live, so no real possibility to get other supplies, so I went back online and ordered 100 Voskhod blades from Russia off eBay! But those will take a month to get here, so in the mean time I ordered a dozen or so various blades from tryablade.com. I picked ones that seemed to have a lot of good reviews from YouTube videos like Nick Shaves and Busta. Hopefully they will arrive today or in a day or two, because that Chinese blade is nearing the end of its usefulness. As I recall I got a couple Feathers, some Astras, Perma-Sharps, Personnas, and a few others to try out.

View attachment 710441

Last night, in a moment of late night online shopping weakness I bought an Edwin Jagger DE89. :) Don't really need it... I know, but I wanted it and hopefully it will last me many many years. I just like the look of them, plus it seems they have universal praise. Should have bought it first to be honest, but oh well. The Wal-Mart one works just fine, but I can see the craftsmanship is a bit lacking, a few bubbles in the chrome job, and blade alignment is a little bit off, so one side ends up being higher than the other. Minor detail, but enough to make me want to upgrade already. I'll still use it, or maybe save it to give to a friend someday in hopes to lure then into DE shaving too.

View attachment 710439
So that's my story, from the guy who was so worried about spending money on shaving I've certainly already spent a fair amount, upward of $90 already! LOL So hopefully the cost will work itself off and pay for itself over the upcoming years. Seems like I'll have enough blades to last me well into 2018, and all I'll really need to buy going forward is soap and after shave.

Cheers everyone! :001_smile

Welcome to the B&B forums. The EJ89 is a decent razor. You have got yourself setup, now the hard part is avoiding the difference acquisition fevers.

Well first I'd like to say welcome to B&B and I'm glad you decided to join us. I bought my son (for Christmas) a Edwin Jagger Kelvin; same razor just a textured handle. My preference for blades are Polsilvers and Astras (just haven't tried Voskhods), but with everything YMMV. Aqua Velva works well, but I didn't like scent (prefer Pinaud Clubman). Since I switched to DE my face has been very happy, I'm glad it is working well for you.:thumbup1:

Hello and welcome. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

Hey man,
I'm from Canada too. Welcome! When it's this cold and dry outside, you may want to try a balm aftershave. Nivea sensitive is a classic that you can find anywhere. If you want to try something even richer, L'Oréal or Neutrogena sold a Shoppers are pretty decent too.

Hey fellow Canuck ....... I love the " I didnt really need it " part of your post. I was there about 12 soaps, 3 brushes, 3 razors, 10 aftershaves and hundreds of blades ago ..... all in 8 months lol.

Welcome to B&B @GrumpyCat, and thanks for the Wahl kit review.
I've seen those on the shelf, but couldn't tell much about the razor because the box is sealed. The small size of the bowl makes sense now, if it fits a Williams puck. It seems (for my taste) small for building lather, but okay for charging the brush.

What part of Canada are you in?

Last night, in a moment of late night online shopping weakness I bought an Edwin Jagger DE89. :) Don't really need it... I know, but I wanted it and hopefully it will last me many many years.
Given your description of the Wahl kit razor, clearly you do need the EJ.

Hopefully they will arrive today or in a day or two, because that Chinese blade is nearing the end of its usefulness.
If you're in a pinch, most Canadian pharmacies will carry a few 5-packs of Wilkinson Sword blades. Not my faves, and over-priced, but they'll get you through.

When it's this cold and dry outside, you may want to try a balm aftershave. Nivea sensitive is a classic that you can find anywhere. If you want to try something even richer, L'Oréal or Neutrogena sold a Shoppers are pretty decent too.
I have some of the l'Oréal balm too, but I find it feels rather gooey/greasy for a long time after application. Now I only use it after the rare disastrous shave experiment.

Last edited:
Welcome! Looks like you are making great progress.

IMO the main thing is to focus on technique rather than hardware or software.

Top Bottom