What's new

New Member - California

Hello everyone! I stumbled upon exactly what a DE razor was while cruising around on the web a month or so ago. I was unaware there was such a following for a traditional wet shave and was completely unaware of the benefits to a traditional wet shave. Previously I had been using an electric razor as cartridge razors tend to give me extreme razor burn in the neck area.

After doing some research I decided to take the plunge a few weeks ago and bought the cheap Van Der Hagen razor & soap from Target to get me started (I already had a badger fur brush from years ago). The first few shaves were a little rough, though my technique is getting better and my shaves are starting to get closer and cleaner.

I also received my Proraso green shave cream and sample blade pack a few days ago. My plan now is to run through each blade in the pack (Derby Extra, Merkur orange, Feather, Personna Red & Crystal) and see what suits me best. Ideally I'll use two from each pack to make sure it is the blade and not the technique causing any issues. So that should give me 6-8 shaves with each blade I think.

This morning was my first go through with the Derby Extra blade and it seemed a little grabby. Again, could have easily been my technique but it didn't seem to be easily slicing through the hair. Either way, I'm excited for the second shave tomorrow to see if I can get a better one!

I couldn't be happier I picked up a safety razor and have begun a morning shave routine. There is something very invigorating and yet relaxing about a traditional morning wet shave. It starts the day off productively, and makes me feel like I'm ready to tackle my day. Amazing that a simple change can be so significant :001_smile

-Joe

Welcome to the group Joe! As you've discovered there are quite a few of us who have discovered the many benefits of shaving with DE razors. Many of us are former users of cart & electric razors and have come to love this rather retro form of shaving. More & more people are doing the same thing. Once they realize that shaving with double edge razors & other forms of wet shaving we tend to not return to any other form of shaving.

You should find over time that you will wonder why you used other forms of shaving. While you're a member here feel free to ask any questions that may come to mind. We are a group of people who enjoy helping new wet shavers improve their technique.

Again, welcome to the group!

Hello and welcome to B&B, Joe. This is a great forum full of friendly, helpful shavers. You'll learn a lot here.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! This site is a great resource for those starting out. I lurked around here for a while researching everything I could and this site is invaluable. Truly a great resource for all those who are even curious about traditional shaving or simply getting a better shave.

I may throw in an update now and then about my progress in this thread, though I might consider starting a newbie's journey journal over in the Journals and Diaries subforum.

jovan said:
Welcome Joe to B&B. Greetings from Sacramento area.

I happen to be from the Sacramento area as well! Not a bad place to be with the bay area and Tahoe both close by.

As you've discovered there are quite a few of us who have discovered the many benefits of shaving with DE razors. Many of us are former users of cart & electric razors and have come to love this rather retro form of shaving. More & more people are doing the same thing. Once they realize that shaving with double edge razors & other forms of wet shaving we tend to not return to any other form of shaving.

+1
Welcome to B&B!

Top Bottom