What's new

New in the Game

Hello and welcome to B&B. Get yourself a badger brush and a quality soap or cream. Vaseline and baby oil is just going to clog up your skin and cause more irritation. Best wishes.

Having just started myself, I would recommend that you get a decent badger brush and a tube of Proraso (C.O. Bigelow). It's fairly easy to lather and very enjoyable. You'll wonder why you ever used anything else.
I picked a $15 Tweezer-Man brush up at Harris Teeter, it's not as soft as I thought it would be and the badger hairs are getting stuck to my face while shaving (not sure if that would reduce the quality of my shave)

I tried Skipping the Oil and my shave felt really rough and I got some irritation with a new Derby Extra blade :frown:.

Could be due to shaving too soon (shaved 2 days ago).

Any recommendations on a really soft and no so expensive brush? or all they all this rough (I feel the pricks of the badger hair)

I haven't gotten my technique perfected yet but I feel that I'am 50-60% their.

Thanks!

Hello and welcome to B&B. Get yourself a badger brush and a quality soap or cream. Vaseline and baby oil is just going to clog up your skin and cause more irritation. Best wishes.
it feels smoother when I put on the oil and then the shave gel and I get less irritation (sensitive skin) is it because I haven't found the right gel/cream? and what are the consequences of a clogged pore? (acne?)

Try some King of Shaves shave oil in place of the baby oil. Put a couple of drops of the oil in your hands, rub your hands together, then rub it onto your face. Splash your face with hot water, then put on your cream or lather.

As far as gels go, the KoS is about the best there is. Using Proraso or C.O. Bigelow lathered up with a brush is a big improvement. Get the lather thick and rich, moving into peaks like meringue. Make your lather in a bowl or mug instead of on your face, for now. You can even apply the lather to your face with your fingers if the brush hairs bother you.

Over time, the brush hairs will soften up and you may find you enjoy the feel of the brush on your face.

Hope this helps.

Thanks GURU, I'll skip the dry/oil. Do you have any recommendations for a good gel? (KOS is ok but I know that their is a perfect gel out there for me).

I echo the above posts about soap or cream and a brush. Your prep seems good. Use a brush and whip a lather and that will improve your shave the most.

Top Bottom