What's new

Needs some help IDing a couple of razors I scored off ebay, brass Gillettes

Pocket sets. Ball end OLD types, I think both from the '21-'28 time frame. Good score! You can't use the Durham Duplex blades in them.

The one in the four-rivet case, no ''Made in ...'' stamp on the head and patent info on the handle is definitely not from the '20s, it should have a serial number, so you can date it

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/US_Gillette_Dating_Information

The set with a two-rivet case is newer, post 1915 IIRC ... the pics are a bit confusing, though ... or I'm just too tired ... :lol:

Post some more pics once you have the sets in your possession. Nice scores, congrats!

proxy.php

proxy.php

The one in the four-rivet case, no ''Made in ...'' stamp on the head and patent info on the handle is definitely not from the '20s, it should have a serial number, so you can date it

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/US_Gillette_Dating_Information

The set with a two-rivet case is newer, post 1915 IIRC ... the pics are a bit confusing, though ... or I'm just too tired ... :lol:

Post some more pics once you have the sets in your possession. Nice scores, congrats!

Flower case without connecting piece on top rivet

$s-l1600 (1).jpg$s-l1600 (2).jpg

Basket weave thin version case 2 rivets

$s-l1600.jpg$s-l1600 (3).jpg

I don't think they're ABC sets, I think they're Pocket sets. But shouldn't the handle with the pat. no. go with the head with the serial no. and the handle with no pat. no. with the head with no serial no.?

I didn't even notice that, that does sort of make sense, though I do not know much about the manufacturing history.

I don't think they're ABC sets, I think they're Pocket sets. But shouldn't the handle with the pat. no. go with the head with the serial no. and the handle with no pat. no. with the head with no serial no.?

I didn't even notice that, that does sort of make sense, though I do not know much about the manufacturing history.

I used the pic as an illustration to the link. The link has info on Pocket Editions and ABCsets from Gillette

There ABC sets handles 8 variety

As noted above, part 1 of this post will be concerned with only the razor itself.

Designs and Materials
There were five handle designs:
1) Shell with one ring (two variants exist. For more details, see below)
2) Shell with two rings
3) Scroll
4) Flower
5) Empire

Each of the five different designs came in either silver or gold.

Here are 8 different variations of the ABC handles that are in Len’s collection.

View attachment 681850

Top Bottom