What's new

Need you guys to look at this and give me your thoughts

I have ordered quite a bit of shaving products the last few months, mostly from Pasteurs and some from The Razor Company.

Today, I received as part of a larger order from Pasteurs, this bottle of Floid The Genuine in 150 ML. It came in a nice box that was not sealed (taped, if you will). My initial thought when seeing the bottle was it looked like some had been used out of it but then let it go thinking no way. Then I thought, I have a brand new bottle of Floid Black in 150 ml that has been in my closet for a year or so. This is the side by side comparison. I did check the bottles closely to ensure they are the same size (width, height etc) and as best I can tell, they are the same size.

IMG_2733.JPG

What are your thoughts? Is there an explanation that I am not aware of regarding the bottle comparisons? I have not contacted them yet to question it.

Now, one of my more recent shipments from Pasteurs included this tub of Grooming Dept. Ousia II. When I opened it, this is what I saw...a noticeable scoop taken out of it. I did contact them with this picture and they were certainly apologetic and made it more than right in return product compensation. Just wondering if anyone has had this experience with orders you've received from them??

IMG_2654.JPG

Thanks,
Gerry

I've been very satisfied with Pasteur so far, with about four orders over a couple of years. Everything I got seemed brand new. There were a few soaps that were clearly older stock, but I knew that going in, since those were on deep discount as close-out items.

Looks a little low, I would pour it into a graduated cylinder and if the bottom of the meniscus curve isn't above the 150ml mark I would probably ask for some kind of restitution. If it turns out that you do still have 150ml or slightly more then I would be content that I got what I paid for.

At least in some respects, your bottles look good to me. I bought 150ml bottles of Vigoroso and Black from Maggard in 2020, and the colors match your left and right bottles respectively. The label on my bottle of Black matches yours too. I can't speak to whether or not the lower fluid level in your Original bottle is normal. OTOH the scoop in the Ousia II does not look right at all to me, and I would contact Pasteur about that.

Last edited:
I believe with the cream that someone sampled it and returned it. Either didn't like it or impulse buy.
Received a tube of Prorasso Blue 'Super.' The carton was dinged up and looked like it had been opened. The tube looked like it was squeezed, and there was some dry cream in the threads of the cap.
Like someone opened it to smell it and more came out than expected.
I figured it wasn't contaminated and have used it no problem.
Can't recall where I ordered it from because I've ordered from several places this spring.

Legion

Staff member
It's quite possible that these fairly niche products are filled by hand, by a human, rather than the robots we have become used to.

Small variations and discrepancies are to be expected. The one with a scoop is a little odd, but as the rest has been poured in, perhaps the person who did the pouring put in a little too much, and had to take a little out to make the exact weight, lest he be beaten again by the boss.

Thank you all for the replies. I did contact them about the soap scoop and they admitted they did it and that bowl should not have gone out. As said, they did make it right with extra product compensation. As far as the aftershave, I am awaiting their response and will let you all know.

Thank you all for the replies. I did contact them about the soap scoop and they admitted they did it and that bowl should not have gone out. As said, they did make it right with extra product compensation. As far as the aftershave, I am awaiting their response and will let you all know.
If they admitted their error and made it right, that’s a stand up company that I would continue to work with. Anything short of that, terminate the relationship, tell them why, and let the world know about it. We are at the end of the supply chain and can be taken advantage of; only if we police these transactions rigorously will we and everyone else receive satisfaction.

I had something similar happen with two different orders. In one case it was an aftershave that looked very underfilled but I wrote it off to evaporation or a misfill. The second time I received a soap that appeared poured flat and smooth. The only problem is I know the soap well and they ship with very natural and rough pours. So I suspect it had been used from the tub. Unrelated I had a separate and less important issue with a bottle of expensive aftershave. I reached out and never received a response from them. I have largely stopped ordering from Pasteurs even though they have great sales and shipping times.

TL;DR...I've had mixed results when ordering from Pasteur Pharmacy.

I debated leaving this comment as I appreciate Pasteur Pharmacy for making quality shaving products available to us at a reasonable price with free and fast shipping and no sales tax. They offer up to 15-20% off during quite regular sales events. If you have not, you really should subscribe to their newsletter...I apologize in advance for any enabling that may occur. 😁 I've also found them to be immediately responsive to any question/issue that I've posed.

I've had a handful of orders over the last year. My first order was well packaged in a box and arrived in perfect condition. Over the next purchases, items were poorly boxed with minimal packing material. The most recent orders arrived in a minimally padded plastic envelop with no packing material. I've had one item cracked/damaged in a box with little to no packing material that they immediately reshipped a replacement. I've had a couple of soap jars where the labels had minor damage...no big deal, but something my anal retentive eye catches with every use. I've noted to them each time that it would be appreciated if items were more securely packaged and they've always responded that they try to improve. I understand this is a byproduct of the free shipping.

My personal conclusion is that I will continue to do business with them taking in consideration what I am purchasing. I've not had any shipping issues with The Razor Company, Connaught Shaving, Italian Barber, Murphy & McNeil, Mens Room Barber Shop and New England Shaving...so if I am worried about my item arriving perfectly then I will look elsewhere. Also, with Pasteur being both a physical storefront and an online website which I am assuming are both pulling from the same stock, the possibility of a customer(s) handling an item you ordered item is real.

I'm not wanting to come across as negative, just wanting to share my experiences. Would I pay full price for shipping if items were better packaged and assured to be from stock not handled by customers...YES!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
FWIW - I have had issues with Floid before because the cap seems to loosen for no apparent reason (temperature swings possibly) and I've had both spillage and evaporation occur.
If I have a bottle of Floid out for use, I periodically check the cap tightness. Don't seem to have the issue when it's boxed up and stored, probably because boxed up and stored it is less affected by temperature swings.
I do not recall the supplier, but in one case I had Floid shipped to me with plastic wrap taped around the top of the bottle, so they were aware of the potential issue.

Looks a little low, I would pour it into a graduated cylinder and if the bottom of the meniscus curve isn't above the 150ml mark I would probably ask for some kind of restitution. If it turns out that you do still have 150ml or slightly more then I would be content that I got what I paid for.

+1! Beat me to it! This is the way to answer your question. :thumbup:

I'm guessing it's within allowable tolerances and probably 30cents worth of shortfall. That said, the "used soap" would have my Spidey Sense tingling.

If in doubt, send a pic to the vendor (BEFORE you start decanting it).

If you pour it out, it'll be a bugger to get back in based on my Floids glass bottles.

I'm guessing it's within allowable tolerances and probably 30cents worth of shortfall. That said, the "used soap" would have my Spidey Sense tingling.

If in doubt, send a pic to the vendor (BEFORE you start decanting it).

If you pour it out, it'll be a bugger to get back in based on my Floids glass bottles.
Perhaps you are right. I would probably never said anything if I didn't have what happened with the soap. I sent pics yesterday. Awaiting response.

This is the response from Pasteurs:

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention and sharing your concerns regarding the Floid The Genuine aftershave you received. We apologize for any confusion or inconvenience caused by the difference in fill levels between the Genuine and Black products.

After reviewing your case, we conducted an inspection of the same items on our shelves to better understand the situation. We can assure you that the fill level variation you noticed is within the normal range for the Floid The Genuine aftershave. We apologize for any confusion this may have caused. (Please see attached pictures).

Once again, we apologize for any inconvenience caused, and we appreciate your understanding in this matter. We value your business and aim to provide you with the highest level of service.

Attachments

• IMG_1284.jpg
    IMG_1284.jpg
    1,010.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1285.jpg
    IMG_1285.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
my floid seemed low like yours :) cant remember where I got it but seemed that is kinda the case with some

the soap thing though :) hahahah OH yeah that was something

like others its how they handle it that matters I reckon

Top Bottom