What's new

Need some mystery/crime book recommendations

Check out John Connolly's books as well... murder / mystery combined with a touch of the occult... good page turners.

I tend toward the caper/crime end of the mystery spectrum, so some of my favorite authors there are Elmore Leonard, Carl Hiassen, Tommy Dorsey, and Robert Crais.

For something so gritty it makes Mickey Spillane look like a big ol' wussy girl, check out Andrew Vachss. :thumbup1:

NANP™

Anything by James Lee Burke or Dennis Lehane. If you are looking for something to keep you up late laughing, you cannot do better than early Carl Hiaason.

Just finished "Swan Peak" on the front porch this morning......The guy puts you on the scene in your mind..You hear the wind, smell the rain, anticipate the violence..Great character development...I swear I don't know how he keeps all those little subtle details in order.......

Two recommendations for just great books, The Chase by Clive Cussler, set in 1906 about the hunt for a bank robber, and Tom Clancy's Without Remorse, about a Navy SEAL going "off the reservation". Both are one more chapter, then bed, books.

Lets not forget standards like Conan Doyle

I just wanted to quote this for emphasis. Love the Sherlock Holmes collection.

I also second Dennis Lehane

And I would like to add Lee Child to the mix. I think Jack Reacher is a great character.

I have a love/hate thing with the Lee Child "Reacher" books. Love the whole modern take on the spaghetti western loner concept, but I swear half the time when I read them I think Lee Child is just poking fun at us Yanks.

Top Bottom