What's new

Need New Work Boots - Dr. Martens?

Hi guys. Again, thank you for all the responses. I am quite familiar with Double H boots. They have never been my first choice but may get another look. I didn't want to necessarily dump on Red Wings but boy, unless I can see significant improvement over the last pair I had in the early 90' then that will probably be a non starter. The classic, pull on work boot from them is the "Pecos". An oil tanned boot with neoprene soles. My dad had a pair of these he got from a doctor's widow. She gave them to him in the mid 70's and the sawbones had originally purchased them in the 60's. They lasted for years. Even through dad's horrid treatment of them with diesel fuel and everything else. I can't begin to tell you how much production boots have suffered in the last 25 years. Just horrid in some instances. I bought one pair of Pecos in the mid 80's and they weren't too bad. I then replaced them with another pair about 1990 and they didn't hold up a year before the stitching on the inside of the shaft/foot area came apart. This was disheartening to say the least for a pair of boots that topped $100 at the time. I then switched to Tony Lama's 4010's and they were SMASHING good. Five years later, after Justin Industries bought them out, they were complete trash. I then found the Chippewas and they are built the way the old Tony's were. At least they were. It has been four years since I bought the last pair. Justin has since moved the plant from Missouri to Texas so we'll see if they survived intact. I was mostly thinking of trying a lower soled, wider nosed style of shoe/boot for work. My trade is hard on footwear. I know it doesn't seem like it but it is. You are constantly standing on or walking over construction and maintenance rubble, chunks of metal and wire, and various other obstacles. The search continues.

Regards, Todd

My vote is for Frye if you can find some that meet your requirements. They are absurdly well made. Better, I think, than Red Wings were when they were made in the USA.

Hey chaps. One more small update. Dr. Martens does indeed make ANSI rated steel toe boots. I personally don't like wearing steel toes but there are a number of models in their Industrial line that have them. The corporate web site is very clear that they make two different steel toe style boots. Functional and "stylish" whatever that means for steel toed foot wear.:wink:

Thanks for the memory jog about Frye. I haven't heard that name mentioned in years.

Regards, Todd

Hey chaps. One more small update. Dr. Martens does indeed make ANSI rated steel toe boots. I personally don't like wearing steel toes but there are a number of models in their Industrial line that have them. The corporate web site is very clear that they make two different steel toe style boots. Functional and "stylish" whatever that means for steel toed foot wear.:wink:

Thanks for the memory jog about Frye. I haven't heard that name mentioned in years.

Regards, Todd

Perhaps it would be clearer what a "stylish" steel toe is useful for if you were aware that Docs are popular among young ruffians.

I have a pair of Danners and I love them. They are the best combat boot I have ever worn.

A little late on the reply but, I have had a pair of Danner's (Tinner) for about 4 years now. I use them whenever I am on the job site and they are great.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I’ve been asked to get safety boots before I work. I have doc martens but they’re not very tough on the toe area, do you think they would be ok?
You are asking a question of a member who has not been on the forum in almost four years. I have some Docs from the 1980s and they are in great shape; some that I bought in the last 20 years have fallen apart. To answer your question - it depends - Docs are not safety boots in my opinion but it will depend on the exact nature of your job. If you are walking around a factory then they may be OK, if you are labouring on a building site then probably not. If in doubt then get some proper approved safety boot is my advice, your employer or colleagues should be able to recommend something suitable.

Legion

Staff member
Doc Martins
I’ve been asked to get safety boots before I work. I have doc martens but they’re not very tough on the toe area, do you think they would be ok?
nooooo. They are not safety boots in any sense of the word. They are barely work boots.

You can buy much safer safety boots for way less than the cost of DM’s, and they will probably be more comfortable. Take it from a guy who has owned several pairs of DM’s, but has had his feet saved by real safety boots in the workplace. Not the same thing at all.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Red Wings.
The upper end of the scale are great.
I hated lacing and unlacing dirty work boots, so I always bought steel toe pull ons.
You can get them with the steel shank in the sole if puncture is an issue.

My daughter is on her 3rd pair of D Martens in last 3 years. Comfy sole, great style (for her) but complete junk leather. I had a pair for a decade as a young man, I wouldn’t purchase for myself today.
If you want a good electrician boot that isn’t too expensive, very comfy and will last at least 2 years, I like these very much. 351CCEE1-EBD4-4603-8324-BECFA6A91EC3.png

I wear size 14 EE. Carolina boots makes a hood product. I buy wedge soles as they seem better for walking. Thorogood boots are also good.

I'm very happy with my RedWings ... if you go that route, seek out a RedWing company store and buy them there. You'll have a much wider selection, and they have a computerized custom-fit machine that measures your foot and the pressure you bear down with heel, toe and instep, then recommends whichever model best suits your needs.

Also look at their upgrade insoles ... the ones I got were the high-end $50 model ... you put them in the oven to soften them up for 2 minutes, put them in your boots, then stand at attention for 2 minutes while they mold themselves to your feet.

RedWing has products made in the USA and China ... the USA products are more expensive, but better made. The Chinese shoes are nothing to sneeze at, either.

Everyone at work thought I was crazy for spending $165 on a pair of shoes. But I get the last laugh, because at the end of the day, my feet feel GOOD. That's all that counts.
RedWings were my father's work boot of choice and he was an ironworker. Every year for his birthday we'd take him to the redwings store about 2 miles from his house and let him pick a new pair usually they were about $165. He retired earlier in the year but it always had to be Redwings for a lot of years.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
“Safety boots” can encompass so many different things it really depends on what you’ll be doing. Do you need a safety toe and if so do they specify metal or composite? Do you need puncture resistance in the shank? Do they need to be waterproof or chemical resistant? Are you going to be working outside and need insulation in the boot? Do they need to be blood borne pathogens resistant? Do you need ankle support or will slip-on work.

I’ve worn RedWings for 30yrs. When I was actively working in construction they’d last me about 2 years before the steel toe wore through. Working on the ambulance I’d get about 5yrs from a pair before they needed to be replaced but I’d resole them every year. I’ve tried Danners, Timberline, Wolverine, and some others but I always return to Redwings. The only boot I was satisfied with other than RedWings were Thorogood leather fire boots.

If cost is an issue buy something you can afford now and save up to get a pair that will last. Being able to resole a pair of boots will also allow you to use them longer.

Ariats. Love the square toe personally.. Hands down love these boots. A pair generally lasts a year or two, even if doing dirt work in my experience. Wether you'll be doing construction, iron etc you'll be very happy and your toes will thank you. I feel steel is superior to carbon toe. I've seen carbon crush toes but I've also seen a few toes lopped off with steel if toes get crushed if not paying attention... SO PAY ATTENTION. Steel toes get much colder if working in winter conditions but I find a few layers of wool socks solve that no issue. For a few hundred (200-230ish) you'll be happy. 20220921_075100.jpg

Top Bottom