What's new

Need New (To Me) Music

Seasick Steve! Keith Richards gets by with only five strings. But SS gets it done with just three!

My impression is that GvF is quoted as being very anti-drug, but I agree that Josh Kiszka has a strange affect. It may be partly calculated though and he does seem supremely in control of this voice, though, and that is an amazing voice. And being anti-drug early does not mean they won't be junkies in short order. I suppose a question is can any group or even any musician keep it up. Joni Mitchell once said she was no longer the same person who put out her earlier material. I like that earlier person better!

I think Bowie ruined Iggy, too.

Way different than anything else listed here, but re other kinds of music, I have been liking Maggie Rogers. Better if one can listen to her cold and avoid the hype. I was liking Ray LaMontagne, too. But he seems have about three good songs.

I was late to the Jayhawks, too, and the album before last, Paging Mr. Proust, was excellent. Not so much the latest album.

As I read through this thread, I realized that you and I might just enjoy a night of whiskey and arguing the merits of what we passionately hold in high regards. Here some new stuff for you. Maybe you've heard it, maybe not. I didn't see much like these entries in the thread. The Ty Segall reference comes close'ish but I promise, I didn't put any Fuzz on here (but you can never go wrong with QOTSA).

My top three recommendations:
Whores
Russian Circles
Kowloon Walled City

More Goodies:
Pigs
Insect Ark
Dead Otter
Elder

These two were just released this week. One is a band out of Norway and the other is out of Russia:
Fuzzthrone
Saver

Last but not least... If you dug the surf recommendations here are three girlies out of NY that sound pretty cool:
Sharkmuffin

Maybe you like this stuff, maybe you don't. I hope it's all new though for you.
Okay just went through this whole thing, the sharkmuffin is actually my fav of the bunch lol

Not sure if they are a bit too far off your path but you should check out a band called veil of Maya. You may dig them

if we're going to Josh Homme Iggy Pop mentioned why not put them together. Funny i mentioned Them Crooked Vultures in a post Saturday.

Whats cooking in 2019?

''''''''''''''''''''''''

Iggy Pop on Austin City Limits

Paraguay by Homme/Pop, probably my favourite piece by Pop since he worked with Bowie. Great way to close out an album... "hey nothing personal".

''''''''''''''''''''''''

And John Paul Jones having some fun.

'''''''''''''''''''''''

And now i have some serious catching up to do. Keep 'em coming!
dave
This Steve guy is pretty cool

Not knowing where you are, when you went to high school, what's old to you, hard to make recommendations, Canadian exposure?

The Melvins play Toronto house party...

'''''''''
'''''''''dave
Was born in 79... Live just outside of Toronto

If you like alt rock along the lines of the strokes these guys seem worth a listen

And the guys are fun, along the same lines, strokes meet blur ?

And this guy may have just won my night. I dig him, the first three songs on this album seem to get a foot tapping in time

Last edited:
Wow Chicago blues style rock (ish) from post 2010, out of Ireland.

These guys have a bit of swing.... Again not what I was looking for, but I want this album for my vinyl collection now lol

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Such a tease... no link!

Here though, I'll help you out ;)
Thanks, Ralph!
Billy Talent took there name from a character in the film Hard Core Logo which starred a guy named Hugh Dillon from the band The Headstones who were/are a great Canadian rock band when Dillon isn't on an acting gig.

ABBA...
dave
Read that but never heard The Headstones. Very catchy tunes! I went down to the cemetary looking for love....now it in my head!
Billy talents lead singer actually started as a radio guy here in Toronto while trying to get his music going... He was there when they started playing the band. Was pretty cool. Until recently one of the guys from Alexisonfire was a host as well
That is awesome. I should have known you'd know BT. Canadians know their musicians! I mention them in Pennsylvania and people look at me weird.

Wow Chicago blues style rock (ish) from post 2010, out of Ireland.

These guys have a bit of swing.... Again not what I was looking for, but I want this album for my vinyl collection now lol

I really enjoyed this. It did just reinforce for me how ridiculous videos are though. I (my own personal opinion) find it ridiculous to "watch" music outside of a live environment. I'm also not really a fan of lyrics either, so my opinion doesn't mean much outside of certain circles.

I decided to go to Bandcamp and look and see if The Strypes had anything up there. The first result from search brought this up from 2013. It's not The Strypes from the post above. Think maybe Capt. Beefheart does a circus album? Don't be scared. It's only 15 minutes and can guarantee that it will be a unique experience for today.

Studio stuff recorded down the road from you by Daniel & Bob Lanois in 1974, maybe still in their mom's house. Simply Saucer Cyborgs Revisited. Live tracks recorded atop a downtown shopping mall.

Julian Cope named Cyborgs his album of the month on Head Heritage in May 2001, and Sonic Youth once announced on stage, during a concert in Hamilton, that the show was dedicated to Simply Saucer.

dave

Fred 'Sonic' Smith of MC5 & later married to Patti Smith, Sonic's Rendezvous Band with Scott Ashton (Stooges) on drums.

City Slang cover by the Hellacopters

dave

Last edited:
I like 'Buckcherry'. They've been around a while. They have a few albums out now. Great singer. Tunes ranging from plaintive whiny "I'm Sorry" type songs to hard-rocking 'meat & potatoes' rock with some swearing thrown in as people do nowadays to music. Check 'em out, eh?

Top Bottom