What's new

Need advice on selecting a backpack suitable for a young successful business guy

I would say buy luggage based on commute and eganomics over fashion and social convention. good call on the Moab10 btw, beautiful pack. I regularly wonder if I should have got one over the rush but the rush is an amazing pack aswell though it is abit tacticool but it's stood up to a year with me which is more than I can say for any other pack.
as another unrelated and unhelpful point, I really want a small day pack of 10L or under, I'm looking at the SORD scavenger pack. I love the look of messenger bags but the arnt comfortable if your carrying a decent load which at times I know I do.

Last edited:
How big is this laptop in regards to dimensions and weight? If it is a beast, backpack may be your only option for comfortable travel. However I would consider a briefcase with a shoulder strap. Have a look at Mitchell leather. Their briefcases are made to order, quite a bit of dosh, but absolutely stunning and fitting if you are in senior management.

I just looked at their website.....holy cow! They are very close to me so it's an option, but I would/should probably upgrade my 12 year old car first, or else I could be looking rather dapper thumbing a ride to work when if it breaks down. Maybe in a couple years if I keep moving up.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I just looked at their website.....holy cow! They are very close to me so it's an option, but I would/should probably upgrade my 12 year old car first, or else I could be looking rather dapper thumbing a ride to work when if it breaks down. Maybe in a couple years if I keep moving up.

Mitchell makes great stuff, but like you say, remember your priorities. A good looking case isn't going to get you to work, but going to work may one day get you a good looking case.

Yeah, that will be something to aspire to. I'm actually pretty realistic and like I originally said, I have a tough time even asking about a $500 bag. My parents can easily afford it, and I could if I wanted to as well, but I still feel guilty asking for nice things, even for a special occasion.

I would personally get a very nice leather messenger bag with a laptop compartment. That's the modern version of a traditional briefcase. You can use it as a personal bag during travel. Then get a sturdy backpack that is compatible with overhead storage.

Congrats on the degree!

Saddleback Leather Messenger Bag, messenger bag and can convert into a backpack.

http://www.saddlebackleather.com/messenger-bag
$image.jpeg
$image.jpg

I own a tom bihn brain bag (tombihn.com). It is made to carry 2 laptops plus anything else you need. They are guaranteed for life. Very durable and well made. I would highly recommend it....

Steve

If a backpack is really driving the train. NOTE: both of the bags below have hidaway shoulder/backpack straps such that you could carry it like a briefcase/messenger bag

Generally speaking.
http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/tls-professional-slim-laptop-backpack/249582?productid=10230513

If you overnight and tend to be a one bag travel kind of guy.
http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/tls-professional-weekender/272275?productid=10299286

Ebags, while sewn overseas, stil uses Tier 1 fasteners (duraflex) and zippers ( YKK) wtc. They are warrantied for life ( 5 yrs for commercial ie airline use) to include normal wear and tear unlike many other more expensive brands. Ebags absolutely exceeds the intersection of quality and value. 20% coupons abound and you she never pay retail for an Ebags bag.

Tom Bihn and Red Oxx make some great stuff, sewn in the US and their price reflects it. Tom Bihn probaly does a better job of designing for an IT guy re their Bihn'sd various sleeves, drop ins and storage sacks etc.

It does not sound like you are going to be taking a lot of public transportation. If that were the case, I too would default to a messenger bag so I could maintain better visual control over my bags' openings/closings.

To echo another poster here, I suspect you could go with the backpack most of the time and a simple messenger bag ( all leather?) for the few times you are in a jacket and tie.

Last edited:
+1. For Tom Bihn.

I have many bags, briefcase, etc. these are in leather (some very expensive), canvas, canvas and leather, etc. Most sit in the closet.

Tom's bags are more functional, adaptable (they are modular so you change inserts when you get a new laptop), durable (one travel bag has over 500,000 air miles!) and light weight.

There are only two negatives: 1. these do not look as good as leather (but the cognizanti will give you a knowing smile and compliments), and 2. Bihn bags are expensive as you would expect from a US manufacturer using the highest quality materials.

Thanks guys. You have given me pause about the backpack. It's still a possibility, but I'm considering the front pocket briefcase from Saddleback as well. I've handled them before and love how they patina. The only public transportation I take would be the occasional commercial flight, and that bag would be carried on so I'm not afraid of it getting stolen like some nice checked luggage.

Most at of my colleagues understand the benefits of a backpack for road warrior travel, and it's definitely not abnormal to take it to a diesel truck shop, so I'll probably keep my current bag for the rare trip like that and get the briefcase with a shoulder strap (Saddleback front pocket).

Thanks everyone! You swayed me.

I'm sure. But I will not sling a book bag on my back and go into a customer's office. I could not have worn a backpack into a court room when I was practiced law. Might just be me, but I would not feel comfortable with such a bag. The gym? Sure. But otherwise, not for me.

I agree...I find backpacks to be more for college and less for business/professional situations. I carry a tumi alpha bravo andersen slim commuter bag. It will hold my iPad, Laptop, lunch, umbrella and many other items I carry on a daily basis and is very light weight.

http://www.tumi.com/p/andersen-slim-commuter-brief-0222640HK2

CB, You are a bigger man than I. 395 retail, for leather trimmed, mostly nylon bag sewn offshore would give me pause.

Personally, i'd go leather. Plenty of companies out there with great leather backpacks. Start with Saddleback. I work at the GM Tech center and see plenty of well dressed people with the run of the mill backpack, the ones with a higher end leather one stand out. I carry a Saddleback leather large satchel daily.

Top Bottom