What's new

Need a bit of historical help

Trying to identify a scent that my father used.

Back story: Got a bottle of RazoRock American Barber AS the other day along with a tub of the matching soap. Of course I couldn't wait to give it a sniff, so I shook it a bit and put a few drops on my upper lip. I'm loving the scent! It lasts and seems to react to bodily warmth.

Anyway, I swear that my father used an after shave (he didn't use cologne) that had a scent just like this. I keep getting olfactory flashbacks. (not to be confused my my occasional 1960's Hendrix induced flashbacks)

I read that the scent is just like YSL Rive Gauche for men. However, that scent was introduced in 2003 and my father passed away in 1987.

Soooo, long shot I know, but anyone recollect a brand of AS from late 50's - late 60's that would have had a similar scent?

$Barber AS.jpg

Last edited:
Smells can bring back incredibly powerful memories. Good luck on your quest for your dad's aftershave.

The most popular brands of AS during that time were Aqua Velva, Old Spice, and English Leather. There may have been 1 or 2 others I have not remembered. And the formulations of those products may have changed over the years. I hope you find what you are looking for.

The most popular brands of AS during that time were Aqua Velva, Old Spice, and English Leather. There may have been 1 or 2 others I have not remembered. And the formulations of those products may have changed over the years. I hope you find what you are looking for.
Don't forget Pinaud Clubman has been around since King David was a Buck Private in the Jewish army.

Honorable mention: There was also a couple of Bay Rums that came out a very long time ago; Hai Karate in the late 60's; and Brut which came out at around 1962-63.

Brut, possibly Knize 10. A bunch of Avon scents.
Old Spice had a variety of scents, aside from the original, there was Fresh Limes, Musk, Leather, and Burley.

Some from the 60's-70's:

Mennon Skin Bracer, Old Spice, Avon Wild Country, English Leather, 007, Jade East, Swing, Sportsman, Yardley Black Label, Denim Splash, Avon Spicy, Hai Karate, Hugo Boss, Musk for Men, Brut. Several of these are still available.

Mike

Top Bottom