What's new

Nanocloth strop

Have anyone tried these strops.
If yes, do they offer anything other types of hard backed strops can?

Screenshot_20231111_111239_Samsung Internet.jpg

I made a couple of balsa strop boards covered with nanocloth a few years back. Although they worked fine I didn't notice any discernible improvement over CBN spray on balsa. Dr. Matt made a video that raved about how amazing it was. Inspired me to give it a try. It was a cheap easy experiment, but didn't find it's way into my progression. FWIW

If you want a paste substrate with no weave, try Pellon a polyester/cotton/paper like cloth used to stiffen shirt collars and other sewing stiffening needs.

A yard, 45 inches wide, enough to make, 30, 3X18” hanging strops is $5. It holds nano paste very well. Available at any Fabric store.

The problem with aggressive nano paste is that most razors can not support the aggressive thinning of diamond and CBN paste, and Nano paste strops can become contaminated easily by airborne dust, larger than nano paste. But for short term can make smoking edges.

I have the .25 to 4 micron set with boxes to store them. I still have mixed feeling about them. The color to micron is nice, they are flat, heavy, and look cool. They drink the diamond paste, it will take several coatings to get them right. So buy the bigger bottles. Some days I want to sell the set, others I will decide to keep. Think it is just cause I do not want to sell them individually and get stuck with stragglers.

But I think for the best money spent and great edge you can't go wrong with a synthetic paddle strop using DMT Diaspray. 22.99 Diaspray + 19.99 or 29.99 for the large strop is way cheaper. And will give great results. It is still my go to, if I do not want to think and need a great edge.

I have now gone back to my JNAT and strop on leather. No paste, edge is smooth and keen. But next week I might change it up.

Happy trails down the rabbit hole of edges and supplies!

I do not use paste to finish razors any more. I occasionally will strop on paste, Diamonds, CBN or Chrome Oxide to strop between stones while honing then finish on Ark or Jnat, but not for finishing, I do not like the edge.

I do strop on Diamond and CBN for knives and tools, both sprays and paste thinned with WD40 on leather paddles.

Never tried the Nano cloth, any clean smooth cloth will work with paste.

Can you please elaborate a little more on this suggestion. I am clear on the DTM diaspray. But what strop are you referring to? Glad to see some pics of this setup.

Do you use 1um paste or 0.5 um?

But I think for the best money spent and great edge you can't go wrong with a synthetic paddle strop using DMT Diaspray. 22.99 Diaspray + 19.99 or 29.99 for the large strop is way cheaper. And will give great results. It is still my go to, if I do not want to think and need a great edge.

Top Bottom