What's new

My new shaving scuttle!

While shopping the antique stores at Alton Illinois today I wondered into the http://mississippimudpottery.biz/shop/ and found this scuttle on the shelf for $30.00. The Potter who made it said that a barber had come in and actually designed it for them to make. It's huge!!!:w00t: That Burt's Bees mug is an absolute monster of a mug but my new scuttle dwarfs it by comparison.:tongue_sm

Last edited:
Here is a normal sized Col. Conk mug sitting inside the scuttle. :laugh: Heck, there's enough room around the mug to fill the scuttle's bowl with water to heat the mug, it's so big.:001_rolle:001_rolle

Would you mind PMing me the sellers information about this scuttle? I live on Scott Air Force Base (well, my family does, I'm in Korea until next June) and would like to check this place out. My wife goes to church in Alton so I could have her talk to the potter for me.

Very nice, and good to be able to support a local artisan.

I ended up going with a faux ivory shaving bowl made of acrylic. Since my bathroom sink is a predestal, and the floor is tile, I liked the idea of a shatterproof shaving bowl that woulnd't chip my sink or break a tile if dropped.

That said, you'll be able to use that scuttle with great confidence that you'll never have more lather than bowl. :thumbup:

It's similar enough to the Schwartzweisskeramik scuttle to be a copy and a not very elegant one.

The joints are crudely executed and the hole for putting water into the bottom bowl is too low.

That said, the price is right and I'm sure it will work well for you.

It's similar enough to the Schwartzweisskeramik scuttle to be a copy and a not very elegant one.
The joints are crudely executed and the hole for putting water into the bottom bowl is too low.

I think that's a bit harsh.
OP wrote that the potter did not design it themselves - a barber came in and specified how it should look.
I think it looks fine, and kudos to him for buying locally and finding a great scuttle for $50 less than what the Schwartzweisskeramik costs.

Must be a custom piece I didn't see any Scuttles on their website.

I did not see any, but did you see the glazes in the gallary? I think some of them look amazing. I might have to hope over the river and pick one up.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Looks like a mighty fine scuttle here -- good price & a locavore kind of purchase. Congratulations!

Wow, everybody else seems to have really liked that scuttle. The hole really doesn't matter as long as the spout comes up even with the top of the scuttle, allowing the water to still fill up to the top, and it does.

Last edited:
Well I use boiling water, first I fill it with boiling water to take the chill away and to heat up the stoneware and then I pour that out and fill it again with boiling water. It keeps it really hot, actually it dries out my lather because of the heat inside. It keeps it hot long enough for my 10 minute shave.

Top Bottom