What's new

My latest batch of shaving soaps, shaving mug, and shaving bowl

I bought my latest batch of shaving supplies from amazon. Amazon delayed delivery for one week because I'm not an amazon prime member. Because I am not a US citizen and live far from USA, it took exactly two weeks for products to arrive my home. Next time, I won't order from amazon.

Product List
  • Shaving Mug with Mustache by Untold Goods
    • 14.99USD
  • Colonel Conk Model 129 Super Shave Mug with Soap
    • 19.04USD
  • Shaving Factory Shaving Soap, 1.75 Ounce
    • 3.30USD
  • Mitchell's Wool Fat Shave Soap
    • 13.96USD
  • Henry Cavendish Himalaya Shaving Soap with Shea Butter & Coconut Oil 3.8 oz
    • 13.47USD
  • Delivery Cost
    • 10.80 USD
  • Total Cost
    • 75.56 USD
Rationale for this purchase

I ran out of soaps and wanted a better shaving bowl than marvy rubber mug cup that has a small elevated ring that makes it difficult to lather large soaps. I wanted a shaving mug for containing a shaving soap and loading my brush. I wanted a separate shaving bowl for lathering. The rest are just more shaving soaps.

Product Pictures

IMG_20180312_100823.jpg

IMG_20180312_101227.jpg

IMG_20180312_101357.jpg

IMG_20180312_101712.jpg

Shaving Soap Moisture Retention

I bought 4 pieces of 10cm silicon cup lids. They fit my shaving mug and shaving bowl perfectly. Those lids will keep moisture and soap scent from escaping. Soap scent was an annoying problem because I kept shaving soap in my marvy rubber shaving mug in my room. My room was filled with soap scent although my nose got used to the scent very quickly. I also wanted some degree of moisture retention. Those silicon cup lids are good for retention of moisture and scent.

I'm slightly worried about soap disintegration due to water retention because my last soap was spent more quickly after I started blooming my soap and placing a lid on the mug after shaving. Does moisture accelerate soap consumption?

IMG_20180312_131729.jpg

My first impression on Shaving Mug with Mustache by Untold Goods

As you can see in the following pictures, the handles have some holes. I think those are not cracks but originate from a mediocre finish. At the bottom of the mug is written china. It was made in china. China has had reputation for poor build quality. I'm slightly worried about cracks on this product. But, there has been no amazon review that reports cracks in this product. On the other hand, Colonel Conk Model 129 Super Shave Mug doesn't have holes or gaps on it.

IMG_20180312_105510.jpg

IMG_20180312_105545.jpg

IMG_20180312_105604.jpg

Although it is big enough to hold any soap, I'll probably use it as a lather bowl.

My first impression on Colonel Conk Model 129 Super Shave Mug with Soap

It is taller than Shaving Mug with Mustache by Untold Goods and as wide as Shaving Mug with Mustache. Colonel Conk Model 129 Super Shave Mug and Shaving Mug with Mustache both can serve as a lather bowl, but Colonel Conk Model 129 Super Shave Mug seems to be a better soap container because I can hold onto its handle while loading my brush and it is taller than Shaving Mug with Mustache. Its height compensates for heights of shaving soaps. I'm going to use it as a shaving soap container.

Last edited:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have found with purchases from China that the quality is not the best. Just little things like you have found such, as finishes. The products seem to work fine but the finishes are not. The products are usually cheap enough and that is sometimes why I purchase them. But as we all know, you get what you pay for. With soaps I usually let them dry out before putting the lids back on. That is me, others may do it different. Just what works for you.

With soaps I usually let them dry out before putting the lids back on. That is me, others may do it different. Just what works for you.

Do you wash soap bubbles away in your soap container after each shave? Or, do you just let the bubbles dry?

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I let the bubbles dry. It doesn't worry me, I usually shave early in the morning before going to work. I leave the soap container/tub to dry on the vanity basin and when I come home for lunch, I put the lid on and stick it in the drawer or in the basket.

Top Bottom