What's new

My Journey towards a BBS dream: W/Photos. (Warning, not for the faint-hearted)

When I was in college, I had a friend who would suffer ingrowns as well. His skin however was very smooth and nearly bump free. He (and he was a clipper shaver) that he would shave every other day, which isn't he point of my story. When he was on his "off day" he would take a butter knife (yes a steel butterknife) and run it ATG of his beard growth. He said that it could lift the hairs (and in some cases pop them out of that little forming postule) and let them set against his face so that they were exposed when he shaved. He also said it helped with the itch.

Now, I can in no way warranty or reccomend this as a course of treatment (mostly because I was thoroughly disgusted at the thought of silverware being scraped along beard growth, and no I didn't eat in his dorm room) however, if you're looking for relief that's what he did, he said his father passed that tip on to him.

Butter knife? I can see how that would work actually. Probably less irritable than a brush too.
Although For the time being I'm using a fine toothed comb from my clipper set. From past experience I know that things will get better once the hair is longer and more reachable.

I dont know if it has already been mentioned in this thread, as I have not read it in its entirety, but you might try a less agressive razor. you might try using an adjustable razor such as a Gillette.

I dont know if it has already been mentioned in this thread, as I have not read it in its entirety, but you might try a less agressive razor. you might try using an adjustable razor such as a Gillette.

Thanks for the advice and yes, it has been thoroughly mentioned. I'm looking into purchasing a Futur and I have a Weishi on the way as we speak....read.

Dont do the magic shaving powder... I really hope that in time your problems will subside. It seems like you are really using your head about this. Dont give up on the DE and again I hope your issues are resolved. I won't give any tips just for the fact I might contradict something else that might work for you. Take care.

I've tried the Magic depilatory before. Horrible stuff. I sooner recommend sandpaper to someone. LOL

It stings like mad and it does not remove all the hairs entirely. The result? You're left with patches of brittle hair over your face, and you can not use the stuff again within 24 hours I think.

Not to mention the smell is repugnent. :smile:

I've heard some decent things about the bump fighter. Try your new DE's first though and if really nothing works, then try the bump fighter

I too have heard great things about the bump fighter razor. I may place an order for a couple.
Goodness, this is all getting a bit pricey and I haven't even had any results. LOL

OH well, trial and error I suppose.

Just spent the last hour and a half with the misses tweezing out my ingrowns. God love her!

In the morn I'll be doing a shave with my adjustable hair clippers just for a touch up. Will update to let you all know the results.

Honestly, I'd avoid buying too much if it's gettin too expensive. A brush is probably the only thing you need to try. Something soft. You've bought blades and razors, at this point, stop. Maybe get a bumpfighter if nothing else works...no more creams or asb's and whatnot. Those things won't help that much, and nivea sensitive asb is great and cheap...

So after doing some work with the tweezers Friday night, I decided to clean up a bit for the wedding I went to yesterday, which was good times.

I just lined up my beard with my clippers and let it sit for a while. Then as I was getting ready I used one of the Bic single blade disposables. I figured this would be the safest way to go for now seeing as i'm just trying to get on track with a mild shave.

To my suprise it worked pretty good. No shower, Just did a simple hot facecloth prep for a few minutes and applied the proraso pre shave cream. Then used my body shop macca root shave cream. I must say that out of what i've tried already, this body shop stuff is quite good; and being that it's easily accessible (i'm a 5 minute walk from the local mall) i may just stick with it for now rather than going all out with the option available online.

My shave was a simple llight WTG around the bottom of the neck and above the beard around the cheeks. So far so good. irritation has gone down quite a bit.

Photos will follow once I get a chance. For now though, I need to recover from last nights festivities. :biggrin:

Things are clearing up well actually. Still haven't been brave enough to use the DE on my face yet. Just did a shave with a bic single blade last Saturday and haven't shaved again since. I let it go for a few days to see if any irritation would appear again.......so far so good.

Just got my Weish DE and a bottle of Thayers Witch Hazel in the mail a couple days ago, so I'm up for the challenge again. Will probably do a shave today granted I manage to find some time.

Below is just a quick pick that I took whilst sitting here typing this reply. Just got home from work so you'll have to excuse the "neglect to groom" look :biggrin:

Strangely enough, the level of reduction seems to be much more impressive when looking at it in 1st person. I feel no itching, tightness of the skin or any discomfort at all other than the normal slight tingle due to lack of a recent shave.

Not sure about how you all feel, but I definitely see and feel improvement.

proxy.php

When I get the next shave done, i'll post one of the photos from the O.P alongside the new one.

Last edited:
Hello!

As a fellow sufferer of ingrowns that still won't die even with DE shaving, I've found some ways to mostly get rid of them.

1. Kyle's Prep and anything pre-shave did not help in the slightest for me (YMMV.) Exfoliation and skin cleaners give me acne on top of irritation too. I wash my face with fairly hot water for about 10 seconds. Then I load my brush and wash again just to make sure it stays wet.

2. Shaving soaps that have essential oils that are reported to have anti-septic properties seem to help a LOT. The most notable are: Ogalalla Bay Rum (Clove Oil) and Mama Bear's Awakenings (Tea Tree Oil.) Alcohol-based aftershaves also seem to cut it down, as well as Thayer's Original which has alcohol in it. I would also recommend face-lathering instead of the bowl.

3. I shave a light XTG first, then a more aggressive XTG. I agree with you that WTG seems to force the hairs down into the skin. Be very careful with ATG though. Razor burn on top of the bumps along with the itch of regrowth sucks big time.

4. No cold water rinse. I can't remember the thread, but even Mantic has said that some people just can't do it. This really brings them out for me.

5. I end with a light coat of High Times Bump-Stopper 2. If they're really bad I will apply it again before bed after a splash of Thayer's.

Your latest pic looks a lot better, so hopefully things will clear up completely for you. I'll be glad if I could help in any way!

80 bucks for a Mekrur classic?! Son of a *****!
I recommend Truefitt and Hill ultimate comfort, and conditioner in your beard in the shower, soften it up. And I love the HD Slant, I have a Merkur classic but it's too light and I keep needing to go over and over.
Also, a good blade helps!

Yeah, no kidding. I knew nothing about DE's then and still don't. But atleast I know now that there was absolutely no need to spend that much on a razor.

Any how, here's my latest pics after last nights shave.
Prep invlove the very basics really, K.I.S.S.

-Washed face with Nivea sensitive skin face wash for Men
- Let my bowl and brush sit in hot water for a few minutes
- Body Shop Macca Root cream lather,
- Then hot towelled my face for a few minutes whilst the bowl w/lather sat in hot water.
- Immediately applied lather once the towel was removed
- Did a mild 2 pass WTG shave with a bic single blade. Still a bit nervous when it comes to getting the DE out again, even though I have a Weishi now.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

The Camera really puts a clear perspective on the issue. I personally don't even see this much when in the mirror. These digital lenses don't miss an iota.:smile:

Plus, although the shave is not up to par at the moment, the best part of this shave was that it was done close to 24hrs ago now; and even after going to work last night in my cold climate conditions, i haven't had the need, urge or even the thought of having a good scratch cross my mind. That alone to me is massive progress.
Can't remember the last time I did a shave that wasn't followed by a good scratching session within the next few hours or even minutes.

Last edited:
Greatly improved skin!

Just stick with the Bic's while you improve technique. I'm currently doing 2x WTG shaves and getting great results.

Well done to you sir!:001_smile

That looks much better!

I would say go for the DE at some point, but be prepared for more bumps than with the BIC for a while while you get the hang of it. Maybe switch them up and go with the BIC's in between?

Top Bottom