What's new

My Guess... 3017

Thanks, you two! Seems like, with the liner, it's about 50g. My container weighed about 146g tonight. I can't say exactly how much of that is water, but in the next 30 to 45 days I'd imagine that I'll have a better idea just how much soap I'm using per shave. At this point, it looks like it's probably in the 1.5 to 2g/shave range which seems a little lower than average for 3017 treatment of Italian soft soap.

The content weights vary as well. The tub of 160 I am 3017ing, was 10g less then the others.

It's listed at 125ml but came in at 96g when I transferred it.

Last edited:
The content weights vary as well. The tub of 160 I am 3017ing, was 10g less then the others.

It's listed at 125ml but came in at 96g when I transferred it.

I'm actually not clear if it is weigh or volume. ML implies volume. A given volume of the soft soap may weigh less that an given volume of water. (1 liter of water weighs 1 kg at a specific temperature). And the P.160 may be less dense that the others. Or that tub just had less product. Hard to tell.

I'll be starting my RR Don Marco today 6/30 -

I've weighed all my RR soaps and with my calculations the container w/lid weighs 1.1oz. That's if there the exact 4.2oz their suppose to weigh. For instance the Don Marco weighs 5.3oz total so the soap should be exactly 4.2oz. Now I have a few other soaps that vary between 5.5, 5.6 and XXX is 5.8oz.

Wish me luck on the Don Marco this is my first real 3017 attempt. :)

I'm actually not clear if it is weigh or volume. ML implies volume. A given volume of the soft soap may weigh less that an given volume of water. (1 liter of water weighs 1 kg at a specific temperature). And the P.160 may be less dense that the others. Or that tub just had less product. Hard to tell.
I'm not 100% sure either, but believe it's volume.

The only thing I know for sure is when I weighed my other P.160 tubs, full, untouched, the one I am currently using was 10g less then the others.

No big deal and I could care less, but it factors in to overall use numbers when 3017ing. One or two grams not so much, but 10 can be an extra 3-7 shaves. Even my tubs of CF were like this. One had 20+g more then the other and were weighed when untouched.

Last edited:
I'm so excited!! I'll DEFINITELY finish the Haslinger this week! Every time I think there are two shaves left on it... I end up getting two and having more left. I loaded as hard and as long as possible, and even let my son have a go at mug lathering with it this weekend. I have a tiny sliver left on the bottom of my Old Spice mug! If my first 3017 attempt isn't in the books by Saturday, I'll be heartbroken!

I tried something completely radical with the Captain's this morning....almost no added water. I took a damp brush and soap that had been soaked, loaded for 40 seconds, did a minuscule dip in the water, and continued loading for another 20 seconds. Scrape the protolather off of the puck onto the brush, and face lather from there with painting strokes. No more water was added, but the soap "lathered" up pretty well. It was thick, surely, but also very slick. For pass two, no rinse, and then applied more soap/lather and did a very small dip in the water to finish lathering up. The lather was super slick and sufficiently cushioning that I got an incredibly close shave with no irritation. The alcohol-based AS didn't even sting. Captain Fawcett's Luxurious Shaving Soap likes water about as much as the average house cat. Like a cat, if you cater to it, it will treat you right.

I tried something completely radical with the Captain's this morning....almost no added water. I took a damp brush and soap that had been soaked, loaded for 40 seconds, did a minuscule dip in the water, and continued loading for another 20 seconds. Scrape the protolather off of the puck onto the brush, and face lather from there with painting strokes. No more water was added, but the soap "lathered" up pretty well. It was thick, surely, but also very slick. For pass two, no rinse, and then applied more soap/lather and did a very small dip in the water to finish lathering up. The lather was super slick and sufficiently cushioning that I got an incredibly close shave with no irritation. The alcohol-based AS didn't even sting. Captain Fawcett's Luxurious Shaving Soap likes water about as much as the average house cat. Like a cat, if you cater to it, it will treat you right.

It would seem to me that the general opinion is that if a soap requires very little water to achieve an acceptable later, it is deemed to be more "fussy" than soaps that require the majority seems to understand as a "reasonable" amount of water. I wonder why this is the case? Is it because our natural inclination is to add water? It seems that a soap that requires very little water like the Captain Fawcett's would in fact be "less fussy." Is it just because it's outside the range of our typical experience?

I'm so excited!! I'll DEFINITELY finish the Haslinger this week! Every time I think there are two shaves left on it... I end up getting two and having more left. I loaded as hard and as long as possible, and even let my son have a go at mug lathering with it this weekend. I have a tiny sliver left on the bottom of my Old Spice mug! If my first 3017 attempt isn't in the books by Saturday, I'll be heartbroken!

Don't let that Haslinger puck get the best of you! It's going to weave and circle around the ring (mug?) dodging all your loading attempts...

In any case, what's your next victim?

Don't let that Haslinger puck get the best of you! It's going to weave and circle around the ring (mug?) dodging all your loading attempts...

In any case, what's your next victim?

Taking a break from the lanolin to demolish a Speick stick that's been tempting me for some time. It's out on the counter and ready for action! It shouldn't last more than a month, then it'll be on to MWF... probably for the remainder of the year. If I finish the MWF before Christmastime though, I'll be on to QED Special 217!

It would seem to me that the general opinion is that if a soap requires very little water to achieve an acceptable later, it is deemed to be more "fussy" than soaps that require the majority seems to understand as a "reasonable" amount of water. I wonder why this is the case? Is it because our natural inclination is to add water? It seems that a soap that requires very little water like the Captain Fawcett's would in fact be "less fussy." Is it just because it's outside the range of our typical experience?

It seems that some soaps are more tolerant of water additions, and allow you to gradually add water until the consistency is right, whereas soaps such as this create lathers that fall apart very easily unless the water additions fall in a tight range.

I have noticed some soaps fall into this category of working better when you load somewhat dry to make a paste on the tips of your brush, and add water conservatively to the right consistency. MWF works in this manner in my experience, which is also why it seems to require a break in period where the puck softens up through continuous use.

As with everything else, you just modify your technique to the product at hand.

Last edited:
Hi all. I've been following this thread for some time and think it's time to introduce myself. For the past few months I've been 3017'ing a puck of DRH Arlington. My intention was to finish that, then formally join you all here. But today, having gotten fed up with my slow progress, I decided to attack another product at the same time by adding a squirt of KMF to the mix. I'd never made a superlather before and didn't expect anything great. What a surprise! The resulting shave was one of my best in a long time. Obviously I need to use more product.

Resolution: I will finish Arlington by the end of July. It was started February 20 and probably has 70+ shaves on it by now (I don't shave daily, clearly). No breakthrough through yet. In fact, for the past week or so I have seen no change in the shape of the puck at all. Do you think it is possible to overcome Chronic Underloading Disorder in this time frame?

That's just beautiful.

The NOS Crabtree & Evelyn Sweet Almond Oil soap rendered its last shave today. (5/21/2014 to 6/29/2014). I did enjoy the puck but now I am looking forward to spending the rest of the summer with a puck of Arlington.

Where does the C&E rank on the list, and how did it compare to the Sandalwood with which you kicked off this thread?

It seems that some soaps are more tolerant of water additions, and allow you to gradually add water until the consistency is right, whereas soaps such as this create lathers that fall apart very easily unless the water additions fall in a tight range.

I have noticed some soaps fall into this category of working better when you load somewhat dry to make a paste on the tips of your brush, and add water conservatively to the right consistency. MWF works in this manner in my experience, which is also why it seems to require a break in period where the puck softens up through continuous use.

As with everything else, you just modify your technique to the product at hand.

Yes, I think this is the very case with the Captain. MWF is a lot better, though.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Where does the C&E rank on the list, and how did it compare to the Sandalwood with which you kicked off this thread?

The NOS C&E was a fine soap. Compared to the Sandalwood, there was no comparison. The Sandalwood I found to be very drying. I did like the scent of the Sandalwood very much but the performance didn't compare to the Sweet Almond Oil (which had no scent whatsoever). After using a scent-less soap for the last six weeks or so, using the Arlington this morning was really an olfactory overload (which I didn't mind at all). Overall, the C&E soaps are ok but let's face it... There are better soaps out there.

I'm not 100% sure either, but believe it's volume.

The only thing I know for sure is when I weighed my other P.160 tubs, full, untouched, the one I am currently using was 10g less then the others.

No big deal and I could care less, but it factors in to overall use numbers when 3017ing. One or two grams not so much, but 10 can be an extra 3-7 shaves. Even my tubs of CF were like this. One had 20+g more then the other and were weighed when untouched.

The old P.160 was sold by volume not by weight. Though, I checked once and found that the difference in ml vs grams was negligible - at least with my samples before use. If I remember correctly, 200ml ended up weighing about 198 grams.

I am going strong with Col Conk Bay Rum and having consistently good shaves that provide great results. I was thinking of posting a lather pic, but maybe I'll just wait for this thread to move a little further away from Burnside's amazing looking lather!

I haven't checked to see how much soap I am using, but suspect it will be around 2 grams per shave. The soap is plenty slick, moisturizing enough, and provides enough protection. I am also one of few who really like this sweeter form of the bay rum scent, which comes through well both pre and post lathering with Col Conk. All in all, I am having a good time shaving with this soap and my face is enjoying it a lot more than the drying and barely protective modern Williams I was using before.

The old P.160 was sold by volume not by weight. Though, I checked once and found that the difference in ml vs grams was negligible - at least with my samples before use. If I remember correctly, 200ml ended up weighing about 198 grams.

Did you ever start the tub I sent you?

Did you ever start the tub I sent you?

If you sent a tub to me, I used it....... Though I don't recall at the moment.

If you are talking about last summer, I know you sent a tub of Saint Charles Woods to me, which was lovely and I chronicled the use of that tub in the 3017 thread.

I'll do more digging, sorry if I don't recall right away, but I am on the way out the door. I also recall a number of great pen goodies that have also been well appreciated...

Top Bottom