What's new

My Guess... 3017

Well, I seem to be on a losing streak. First the RR/CC Bay Rum gave me irritation and finally a rash. Next, I tried TOBS Peperment. The first shave was ok, but the second shave lit my face up!!! My face was beet red all day yesterday. It was the worst reaction I have ever had to a product.
This has me worried. Will everything I try end in disaster?

Next up will be RR P160. The original P160 was the best product I have tried so far, so I'm hoping this will get me back on track.

I had two duds in a row that I discontinued. I "almost" feel like I failed 3017ing them, but there are much better soaps out there, and if it doesn't work for you, why suffer through them? It wasn't a "one lather" test, so I feel that I gave it a reasonable shot.
Bin the soaps and move on. Feel no remorse.

What else are you 3017-ing?

I am 3017'ing a Chevy truck. Bought her new Feb 2001 so she turns 14 next month. 268,000 miles. I do all the maintenance myself. She's been to 49 states including Alaska, just have to figure out a way to get her half way across the Pacific to Hawaii. Maybe next year.

I am still working thru Mikes Rose and Cedarwood soap and still working on the master bath remodeling project. Some day soon the new den will be complete.

I am 3017'ing a Chevy truck. Bought her new Feb 2001 so she turns 14 next month. 268,000 miles. I do all the maintenance myself. She's been to 49 states including Alaska, just have to figure out a way to get her half way across the Pacific to Hawaii. Maybe next year.

Shouldn't be too hard.. Just need some very high flotation tires and an extra fuel tank in the bed :lol: Or you can cheat and send it air freight drive around a bit and check Hawaii off the list.

It CAN be done.....
$Chevy raft.jpg

I'm definitely not a 3017 kind of guy. I haven't owned any of my cars long enough to pay them off before trading them in, mostly because the repair bills are massive and I can't take it any more. That hopefully changed with my current Civic, which I've had for three years with literally nothing other than fluid, tire, and wiper changes. Although I'm considering getting a CRV next year because we have two kids and a dog and have no room in my car with the seats. Wife has a Prius so we use that for now. Still would be nice not to have to play Jenga whenever anything more than a bag of groceries is in the car.

Been the same way with musical instruments. I don't form sentimental attachments. I'll have a guitar for 5-10 years and get bored and sell it. My one guitar I've had for 15 that i bought in high school on a vacation, that one my mother always kept me from selling. I also have an acoustic guitar that I love to death which I won't sell. Otherwise they have come and gone and got wrenched on like crazy. Maybe it's just because I have bought cheap crap?

Clothes unfortunately slow weight gain prevents me from keeping them for more than a couple years if they don't wear out. I suppose I've had my dress slacks for three years now, repaired some seams about a year ago. Shoes always wear out within a couple years, so I'm considering investing in expensive ones this year. My belts I've had for two and ten years respectively, the latter with some extra notches.

But yeah grooming products get 3017. Two years ago I found a conditioner I like and stock up. Last year I finally found some pomade I liked and ordered a bunch of tins online. And I don't have a toothpaste rotation!

Last edited:
What else are you 3017-ing?

Great question. I'm definitely a 3017'er by nature.

Cars, clothes, tech gadgets (like computers, cell phones, iPods etc.), guitar strings spring to mind. I'm also careful to check the pantry and freezer before I shop for food so I use up what I've got.

The shaving 3017 is a bit different in that I'm trying to maximize performance/enjoyment. The other stuff is more out of practicality and because I'm also inherently a saver. I can say that I've started thinking much more about maximizing total benefit - which is what i think is the real point of the 3017 thing - rather that just purely financial on larger purchases lately. It really is a great mindset for other stuff than just shave stuff.

Anyway, MWF shave today was good. Had a thin lather with little cushion but very slick. Early estimates are 1.5g per shave give or take.
During my shave this morning I was thinking about your troubles loading more and just getting bubbles.

I have been squeezing my brush almost dry but leaving a small amount of water at the tips. Then I essentially puck lather until it gets thick and stops loading more. The tips are gooey enough that they don't seem to pick up any more soap no matter how long I swirl. So I can vary the amount of lather I get by how much water I leave in the brush.

At the start I get foamy/bubbly protolather, but I load/lather long enough that I just push it back down and it gets incorporated into the brush.

Could you apply that to your MWF? Puck lather and keep pushing down the bubbly stuff so it get incorporated into the brush until it won't pick up anymore? When I load/puck lather I'm going for 60-90 seconds, but since there isn't a lot of water in the brush I get a sane amount of lather.

Just an idea. Maybe you've already tried that and it didn't work.

Bob, or anyone else that knows/remembers. What are the asterisks next to some of the soaps in your completion list? Is that the typical "would replace" designation? Or the opposite?

For me, I rate them on a scale of one star to three stars. If I ever have to buy soap again (see me in 2025), I'll be referring back to the list and hitting the 3 star soaps first.

During my shave this morning I was thinking about your troubles loading more and just getting bubbles.

I have been squeezing my brush almost dry but leaving a small amount of water at the tips. Then I essentially puck lather until it gets thick and stops loading more. The tips are gooey enough that they don't seem to pick up any more soap no matter how long I swirl. So I can vary the amount of lather I get by how much water I leave in the brush.

At the start I get foamy/bubbly protolather, but I load/lather long enough that I just push it back down and it gets incorporated into the brush.

Could you apply that to your MWF? Puck lather and keep pushing down the bubbly stuff so it get incorporated into the brush until it won't pick up anymore? When I load/puck lather I'm going for 60-90 seconds, but since there isn't a lot of water in the brush I get a sane amount of lather.

Just an idea. Maybe you've already tried that and it didn't work.

Here was today's process. Soak the brush

View attachment 540233

Load for 30 seconds

View attachment 540235

Work on the face and add water

View attachment 540236

Lather in the brush

View attachment 540237

It's not pretty lather but it works. I won't say it works better than other soaps though. But you can see when I load, it turns to foam.

Here's WSP loading on the brush:

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421351815.938509.jpg

The Mitchell's loads a foam where the other soaps I've used are a paste. Not sure how to get around it, or if it's necessary.

Here's the celebratory post when he finished the stash.
Thanks for finding that! A moderator should edit the original post with that link!

This has already stuck, to a small degree, with me. I left yesterday planning to do a rotation of about 8 soaps and creams (two weeks shaving) before settling on something. After Proraso Red this morning, which I had missed, I plan on at least a few more with it before I 'rotate out'.

All this MWF talk makes me want to buy a puck :w00t:

I can't seem to have consecutive quality shaves with Cella. I fear tomorrow may be my last day with it.

Too many other good soaps in my den to have on and off good shaves for the next 30 days.

I'm still going on the PannaCrema Libanese. I'm getting really nice lathers with it and the post shave feeling is nice. It's not disappearing as fast as I thought it might, which is he opposite of what happened with my puck of Haslinger Aloe Vera.

It's not pretty lather but it works. I won't say it works better than other soaps though. But you can see when I load, it turns to foam.

The Mitchell's loads a foam where the other soaps I've used are a paste. Not sure how to get around it, or if it's necessary.
If you're happy with it I'm certainly not trying to convince you to change your method. It does look very shave-able on your face.

My suggestion is don't just load the MWF, but build your lather right on the puck without adding more water. Push the foam back down so it keeps getting worked into finer and finer bubbles to see if you can get it creamier. Then apply it to your face to work it in and paint in some water to get it hydrated.

I won't have any time tonight but maybe this weekend I can take some pictures of the difference in my lather when I just load it and face lather vs puck lather and then add water by painting it on.

All this MWF talk makes me want to buy a puck :w00t:

I can't seem to have consecutive quality shaves with Cella. I fear tomorrow may be my last day with it.

Too many other good soaps in my den to have on and off good shaves for the next 30 days.

Bruce, glad we can keep this conversation going for you to be the enablers we are. Also sorry to hear the Cella may not be working out. It's a bummer you've got the whole kilo and might not be able to show us how fast you can use it up. I thought we were going to get a poll going here.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Between today and tomorrow, SWMBO will be 3017ing the dozen chocolate chip cookies I just made. Hey, what can I say, I'm at home right now :001_smile

Between today and tomorrow, SWMBO will be 3017ing the dozen chocolate chip cookies I just made. Hey, what can I say, I'm at home right now :001_smile

Bummer it isn't the other way around.

It is for me though, my wife made cookies yesterday and I don't plan to eat any other kind of cookie until these are all gone.

Bruce, glad we can keep this conversation going for you to be the enablers we are. Also sorry to hear the Cella may not be working out. It's a bummer you've got the whole kilo and might not be able to show us how fast you can use it up. I thought we were going to get a poll going here.
Yeah, I have enough stuff waiting that I want to try. Makes giving up a bit easier.

Keep your eye open as some of it may get PIF'd.
Mmmmmm, that sounds like a good item to 3017. But cooking pics are needed for the full effect. :drool:

Top Bottom