What's new

My Guess... 3017

My Stirling may be done -- there's still soap in the dish but I'm not sure if it's enough to build a lather. We'll see. I've been getting acceptable shaves although not as thick and protective as some other brands. As excited as I am by the Stirling Barbershop scent (another sample in my drawer) I am done with this brand for a bit.

I never had any luck with Mitchell's. I could achieve decent lather after significant work, but it just wasn't on par with many other products for me. Haslinger grated into the Mitchell's dish? I think so.

That's kind of what I was thinking.

Haslinger Schafmilch for the winter
Martin de Candre for the spring
RazoRock XXX for the summer
Proraso Sandalwood for the fall
TOBS for special occasions

Wouldn't make a bad rotation at all.

My Stirling may be done -- there's still soap in the dish but I'm not sure if it's enough to build a lather. We'll see. I've been getting acceptable shaves although not as thick and protective as some other brands. As excited as I am by the Stirling Barbershop scent (another sample in my drawer) I am done with this brand for a bit.

I've used Stirling periodically. I like the lather and the post shave feel...but...For me, Stirling takes a lot of work to get a good lather. By the time the lather is where I want it to be, I could've lathered up AND shaved with my other soaps.

I still use Stirling from time to time, though.

That's a ton of lather in your 1305! Only 16 shaves, eh? Maybe I'll finish one of my partial tubes before I move onto Valobra Menthol after I kill the C&E Sandalwood.
Oh yes. I could've got another shave or 2 from what was left, but was itching to start the PdP so just finished it off:blush:. I begun with about 75-80% of a 70gram tube so 16 shaves worked out to just under 3.5grams per shave. The 1305 was to blame as well. Seems to like a bit more cream than my other boars.

Just a heads up gents that we are only about 3 weeks out until the February MdC 3017 event takes off. I'm thinking that we have a separate thread for it so as not to overwhelm this thread. For planning purposes, please copy and add your name to the list of anticipated participants below. Please indicate which flavor of MdC you plan to use.

MdC 3017 Fest

1. beginish, Scented

I've used Stirling periodically. I like the lather and the post shave feel...but...For me, Stirling takes a lot of work to get a good lather. By the time the lather is where I want it to be, I could've lathered up AND shaved with my other soaps.

I still use Stirling from time to time, though.

I look back at some of my posts and I seem a little too critical of Stirling. There's nothing wrong with the soap, and while Autumn wasn't for me I do really like the scent of Barbershop, through the package anyway. Maybe a more exciting scent will help.

After I'm done with my last shave, I will be rotating at least once through everything, then deciding if I will 3017 again.

Just a heads up gents that we are only about 3 weeks out until the February MdC 3017 event takes off. I'm thinking that we have a separate thread for it so as not to overwhelm this thread. For planning purposes, please copy and add your name to the list of anticipated participants below. Please indicate which flavor of MdC you plan to use.

MdC 3017 Fest

1. beginish, Scented

1. beginish, Scented
2. ruckin, Fougère

Motoring along with Proraso Red at a little over 3g/shave. For a 22mm boar, does that sound right? I'm enjoying the shaves and that's all that counts, but I wanted to see if that's consistent with everyone else.

I used up the last of the RR Christmas-in-Tuscany this morning. Well, not quite, there was a little tiny bit hanging out in the corner. I used that to anchor the last of the Scottish Fine Soap puck that I am returning to. It had dried out and was loose in the wooden bowl. I love that CIT. I'm glad I used it during the twelve days of Christmas - that just felt right. So, tomorrow I'm back to the Scottish Fine and should use it up in under three weeks. The puck is well dished at this point.

The journey up to now:
Razorock Artisan – Christmas in Tuscany (last half box): 12/24/2014 – 01/12/2015
Scottish Fine Soap: 11/23/2014 – 12/23/2014 (interrupted for CIT)
Tabac: 10/15/2014 – 11/23/2014
Strop Shoppe Special Edition with Tallow – Lemon Eucalyptus: 9/17/2014 – 10/14/2014
Queen Charlotte Soaps - Cubano Breeze: 8/16/2014 – 9/16/2014
Strop Shoppe Special Edition with Tallow – Lemon Eucalyptus: 8/6/2014 - 8/15/2014 (interrupted for special QCS puck PIF’ed to me.)
Razorock Artisan – ABCBA (1/2 box): 6/29/2014 – 8/6/2014
Stirling Soap - Lime (Sample): 6/20/2014 – 6/28/2014
Mike’s Natural – Lily of the Valley: 5/12/2014 – 6/19/2014
Pannacrema – Namaste (Lemongrass and Oak Moss): 4/21/2014 – 5/11/2014
Pannacrema – San Francesco (Sandalwood, Incense, and Spices): 4/4/2014 – 4/20/2014
Stirling Soap - Scots Pine Sheep Soap (2 pucks): 2/18/2014 -4/3/2014
Mystic Water - Marrakesh: 1/16/2014 – 2/17/2014
Razorock – Christmas in Tuscany (First half of box): 12/28/2013 – 1/15/2014
Pannacrema – Nostalgia (Orange and Clove): 12/8/2013 – 12/22/2013
Stirling Soap – Coniferous: 11/10/2013 – 12/7/2013
Mike’s Natural – Orange, Cedarwood and Black Pepper: 10/19/2013 – 11/9/2013
Mystic Water - Lavender Lime: 9/22/2013 – 10/18/2013
Queen Charlotte – Vostok: 8/30/2013 – 9/21/2013
D.R. Harris – Arlington: 6/18/2013 – 8/29/2013
Stirling Soap Barbershop: 5/23/2013 - 6/17/2013 (second puck – not grated)
Stirling Soap Barbershop: 5/7/2013 - 5/22/2013 (first puck – grated into large container)
Cella (48g left): 4/27/2013 - 5/6/2013
Pannacrema – Fumo di Londra : 4/15/2013 – 4/26/2013
Mike’s Natural – Bay Rum: 3/31/2013 – 4/14/2013
Queen Charlotte – Rose Otto: 3/15/2013 – 3/30/2013
Mystic Water - Adirondack Jack: 2/21/2013 – 3/14/2013

Yipes! I'm almost to two years in this thread. How long have the rest of you been 3017'ing?

Motoring along with Proraso Red at a little over 3g/shave. For a 22mm boar, does that sound right? I'm enjoying the shaves and that's all that counts, but I wanted to see if that's consistent with everyone else.
That seems about right to me. Just finished off a tube of that a few days ago and got just under 50 shaves from it so that should be about 3g/shave from me too.

I used up the last of the RR Christmas-in-Tuscany this morning....

The journey up to now:
Razorock Artisan – Christmas in Tuscany (last half box): 12/24/2014 – 01/12/2015

Yipes! I'm almost to two years in this thread. How long have the rest of you been 3017'ing?

So it that's 20 or so shaves for 150g of soap? They were 300ml(g) bricks.

I just completed my 2nd official year of 3017ing, but had done it a few months prior but not tracked or recorded anything. I think I officially joined in at the start of my 2013 Sabbatical year and then never left.

I had to call it quits on the Maggards Lime and Bergamot sample. I lathered up today with an Omega boar 10810, beehive handle. Used my mildest razor, a no date code tech with a Parker 26C handle and a new Treet Black Beauty. Down the cheeks, it went okay, then onto my jawline, it was like shaving with wet sand as lather. I immediately washed my face, rinsed out the brush, and Dottie bowl, and threw out the rest of the Lime and Bergamot sample. I got quite a bit of irritation from yesterday's shave, so the L&B was on a very short leash for today. I opened up a Sitrling Scots Pine Sheep sample and lathered away. The rest of the shave was much much better. The Lime and Bergamot had less glide for me than a Wilkinson Sword blue bowl, if that tells you anything.
This Stirling sample is my last before I start on full sized pucks and creams. I do still have a sample of B&M Leviathan, but I bought a full sized jar after I got the sample because I love the smell. I will just add the sample on top of the full jar.

Unless MWF is a failure for me I'm going to stick with it, then move onto MdC afterwards. Would imagine if that's the case, I'll be doing about 60% of a 200g jar around April or so.

I look back at some of my posts and I seem a little too critical of Stirling. There's nothing wrong with the soap, and while Autumn wasn't for me I do really like the scent of Barbershop, through the package anyway. Maybe a more exciting scent will help.

I didn't read your previous posts, but you likely weren't too critical. Stirling makes a fine product. I, like many others, have had a helluva time getting that incredible lather that others describe and display. I have a couple of pucks stashed and give it a whirl very few months.

That's kind of what I was thinking.

Haslinger Schafmilch for the winter
Martin de Candre for the spring
RazoRock XXX for the summer
Proraso Sandalwood for the fall
TOBS for special occasions

Wouldn't make a bad rotation at all.

Not bad at all!
Winter - MW Bay Rum
Spring - RR XXX or Classic
Summer - MW Maestrale or Proraso Green
Fall - Palmolive Menthol followed Arko (just because)

So it that's 20 or so shaves for 150g of soap? They were 300ml(g) bricks.

Bruce, I didn't weigh it so I don't know. I may have divided it unequally last year when I cut it in half. I do use a lot of product especially since I shave my head every other day in addition to the daily face shave. I usually do a four-pass face shave.

Genetics has left me with a wire brush growing out of my face. It needs a lot of lather to keep me from cutting myself up.

Top Bottom