What's new

My Foray into the world of methodshaving....

Charles Roberts has a large and loyal following. I feel no need to defend his methods or products. I couldn't care less what other people think. The products work absolutely beatifully for me and I have met very few people as nice and helpful as Charles and his wife.

Charles Roberts has a large and loyal following. I feel no need to defend his methods or products. I couldn't care less what other people think. The products work absolutely beatifully for me and I have met very few people as nice and helpful as Charles and his wife.

+1. What I meant to say.

It never ceases to amaze me how CAR can inspire such venom from people who have never used his products and have not met him. To me, Charles is a great guy with a ton of knowledge who wants to advance wet shaving and make a living doing it. Period, end of story.

He is neither evil, greedy or crazy. He IS passionate and uses strange terms to describe shaving and his products, but if you understand the intent, the terms even make sense. I don't use the terms, but I occasionally use the products and they are top notch. He helped me a ton when I was getting started in wet shaving several years ago, and I consider him and his wife Jean friends.

Maybe this post a year ago from leisureguy, (who I think everyone respects) will convince you there is something to Charles' products.

http://leisureguy.wordpress.com/2007/11/08/how-long-has-this-been-going-on-shaving-dept/

Even mantic has posted several videos on method shaving as well, and I think he has helped thousands of wet shavers with their techniques.

You don't have to like Charles or his products, but I have trouble understanding what makes people who have never met him so angry. I think i t speaks to their character or lack thereof. Relax, that is what shaving is supposed to be all about. Enjoy what you do and try new products. If you don't like them, sell them in BST!

Brad

What about the guys with sensitive skin ? This method with the many different scents , oils and perfumes would be a killer for most .

I see you guys are using ( I also have tried this method ) many items to achieve a nice clean shave .

From the preshave with scent X to the shave cube with scent y to a cutting oil with scent z . Then douse on the after shave with another scent . So after this method of shave , what does your skin actually smell like ? X + Y + Z + A = ?????

But if it works for you , by all means continue . Just offer a caution for those with sensitive skin about this method shaving .

cityjim

What about the guys with sensitive skin ? This method with the many different scents , oils and perfumes would be a killer for most .

I see you guys are using ( I also have tried this method ) many items to achieve a nice clean shave .

From the preshave with scent X to the shave cube with scent y to a cutting oil with scent z . Then douse on the after shave with another scent . So after this method of shave , what does your skin actually smell like ? X + Y + Z + A = ?????

But if it works for you , by all means continue . Just offer a caution for those with sensitive skin about this method shaving .

cityjim

Method Shaving products are the most pure ingredient products out in the shaving world. Their are no perservatives in the products, so careful when buying from another shaver hydrolast products. Still, like the post above me, you can get it unscented. Also, go to the site and get a starter kit with shave cloth. Try it, its the best shaves I get.

I have nothing much to add. Method sounds like somebody's bad dream. Take a fun and simple hobby one step further by inventing additional steps and products that make it even more complex and expensive to shave in the morning, with the added plus that your product smells like ... . Thanks but no thanks.

brothers, I agree with you. This is all too "metrosexual" for my taste. If he were alive today, I doubt "The Duke" would own "an arsenal of creams, lotions and brushes" to shave when a bar of castille soap, strong enough for getting rid of trail dust, and a sharp Bowie knive would do the trick Barbaric, uh! :letterk1:

Very, very funny prologification, Joel! Just beautiful. :lol: One nearly urinated oneself due to the excessive physical response to a shared experience. I can just picture MR CAR at this very moment, cachinnating in front of his highly lustrous reflective surface. That said, I'm sure he's a lovely bloke - I actually found his Method presentation quite mesmerising. "Saponification"...priceless!

. . . couldn't get a lather that was as lubricating as the traditional creams.

I've been a DE wet-shaver for better than two and a half years that's (if my government school math serves) just shy of one thousand (1,000) shaves. In that time I have spent a small fortune experimenting with all manner of soaps, creams, lotions and sundry items only to return to the Hydrolast product line because I've not found a slicker, more lubricating shaving soap/cream. Not to mention that Hydrolast doesn't make my face hurt as does AOS, TF&S, Institute Karite and anything with just plain Glycerin!

My experience is similar. It takes time to get the technique right, but I got great results from the very beginning. When you get down to it, its all about how your face feels. Even with my half-assed initial attempts, The 'ole face felt smooth as glass!

I keep seeing my wife's lips moving while reading this ... Hysterical LOL:lol:

This whole method thing has allowed me to create my own method of shaving, I call it the Jeremy method of shaving or JMS for short (my last name is Parker but the initials of PMS just didnt fly with me.) Here is how it works:

1.) Take out all the money you have saved up and spend it on shaving supplies. Razors, creams, soaps, etc.

2.) Fill sink with water.

3.) Upon shaving, accidentally slit your throat due to how tight your jaw muscles were due to depth of thought and misery from being completely broke from all youve spent on your shaving addiction and finding out that your friends and family are planning to put you on the A&E show "Intervention" because of your shaving addiction.

4.) Refer to above.

always fun to go back and read this thread.. such emotion. :001_rolle

I agree with what the others say.. if you don't like it, stay away.

I agree with mantic.. some good ideas here even if you don't follow the whole "Method"

There.

I just met Charles about an hour or so ago. He's a great guy but will definitely talk your ear off. I like some of the products I use, but am willing to try Method shaving. The fact that he now encourages use of his <$10 cloth in place of a $50-$150 brush makes Method more affordable.

I'll follow up once I've completed his clinic.

:badger: The badgers are fans of the cloth as well! :badger:

Seriously, I do like the cloth. It is easy to use, and really does make a nice lather for me... and the price is TOTALLY right.

Can't wait for my cloth to wear out to get another one. I'll take a pic of it and post it in the Shaving Brush forum. :tongue_sm

Top Bottom