What's new

My first Thiers Issard and I'm sending it back.

Having taken many hundreds of TIs directly from the factory from 2010-2013 I'm unconvinced this was honed by anyone but them, believe the vendor DID abide your original decree, and don't understand why everyone above presumes with full certainty the appearance had to be from influence beyond the factory. I don't doubt can be further worn down to a straight line that would please, however.

Thanks for your input and I appreciate your experience, but I'm sorry, I find the spine being ground off of a brand new, high end razor unacceptable. It doesn't matter who did it. Grinding even further as a solution is not something that I'm willing to consider. The seller won't return my calls or my emails and before the end of the day, I will stop payment on the CC and do it the hard way. Here are pictures of new TI razors (including mine) from various sites and I don't seem to notice the excessive hone wear and wonky bevels. I don't believe that all TI razors come to the retailers in the condition that mine did. If so, it is still unacceptable. False advertising at the least.

I am sorry to read this Ronnie, I hope it will turn out well. I have had the same experience. I'll PM you the name of the retailer.

Good for you, Alpster and hope this gets resolved for you in a favorable way. I can't tell you how much I regret not doing what you suggest. I try to avoid the hassle of dealing with a retailer and end up trying to fix their errors. It ends up taking me a lot of time I don't have and I'm never truly happy with the product after that. Thanks for posting.

Wasn't implying that you've no right to return, Alpster, only saying I think what u see/received is indeed what they made, so vendor likely did what they were told by you...saw similar too many times to believe otherwise. You would open up the factory seal and wipe off the Ballistol and there was occasionally a funhouse mirror awaiting you (sort of the impetus to individual pics of stock to hopefully take the wind out of the return sails, though in the end it was just the genesis for the newer "initially upon seeing the individual pictures I was pleased...however, upon personal inspection, I discovered _____, which displeases me" genre).

Is tang stamped? Maybe the stamping causes out of true alignments and they grind down further to hopefully compensate? Just guessing here, I don't really know why this happens, but was historically able to make all razor sharp and straight via the 'rolling-X' and they still had that superior thinness, albeit with accompanied reduction of max width to get there.

I was always more mad when the bevel as supplied wouldn't cut arm hair, and in some cases would take an hour of shop time lost to achieve so...that did indeed boil my blood, and until last yr w/ some Bokers had not once seen it occur w/ any others despite occurring repeatedly with them. Their zeniths, however, were the highest.

Wasn't implying that you've no right to return, Alpster, only saying I think what u see/received is indeed what they made, so vendor likely did what they were told by you...saw similar too many times to believe otherwise. You would open up the factory seal and wipe off the Ballistol and there was occasionally a funhouse mirror awaiting you (sort of the impetus to individual pics of stock to hopefully take the wind out of the return sails, though in the end it was just the genesis for the newer "initially upon seeing the individual pictures I was pleased...however, upon personal inspection, I discovered _____, which displeases me" genre).

Is tang stamped? Maybe the stamping causes out of true alignments and they grind down further to hopefully compensate? Just guessing here, I don't really know why this happens, but was historically able to make all razor sharp and straight via the 'rolling-X' and they still had that superior thinness, albeit with accompanied reduction of max width to get there.

I was always more mad when the bevel as supplied wouldn't cut arm hair, and in some cases would take an hour of shop time lost to achieve so...that did indeed boil my blood, and until last yr w/ some Bokers had not once seen it occur w/ any others despite occurring repeatedly with them. Their zeniths, however, were the highest.

I wasn't questioning your word, just making the point that it really doesn't matter WHY the razor is damaged, it should be in new, undamaged condition. I really do appreciate your insight and experience as a vendor. BTW the seller did indeed hone the razor before it went out. I finally received a response form them. I still won't mention their name until I see how they handle this. I have already gotten a PM from 2 other members with similar issues. Below is a paste from the vendor's email to me.

"Ronnie, please send us a picture, and describe the damage. We open and sharpen each razor, and it is then inspected twice, and oiled prior to being packaged and sent out."

I sent the picture as requested and am waiting to hear the remedy.

I,ve seen loads of ti,s look like that. Not many have an even bevel . I,ll bet that came from ti like that. I no phill at classic shaving once told me he asked ti not to hone the razors he ordered due to the fact the bevels were never true . They still honed them when they sent them out to Phil . That's the reason I,d never have a ti yours looks real bad I,d send it back and get a refund.

I,ve seen loads of ti,s look like that. Not many have an even bevel . I,ll bet that came from ti like that. I no phill at classic shaving once told me he asked ti not to hone the razors he ordered due to the fact the bevels were never true . They still honed them when they sent them out to Phil . That's the reason I,d never have a ti yours looks real bad I,d send it back and get a refund.

In my post above, in the email I received from the seller, he states clearly that he honed the razor. We will see how they handle it.

having personally gone through about 20 'new' Thiers Issard razors, I can say that their quality from the factory is a variable function.
Some are perfect and some are not.
Some issues arise at factory and some at the reseller, whether handling, prep or shipping issues.
I've learned to expect to send any new TI's to a honemeister for proper sharpening plus any corrective measures.
Once corrected and honed well, these are great shaving razors.
Just my experience, FYI.
$thiers issard feston collection array november 16 2015.jpg

icon1.png

If anyone is still following this saga. After a couple of emails and sending them pictures of the razor with new ones for comparison, I received and email that my $ will be refunded when I reply with the tracking # shipping the razor back. All's well that ends well. I'm off to the post office to ship the razor back and later I will order a new Revsor to replace it. Thanks for everyone's support and good advise. Glad this is over.​

If anyone is still following this saga. After a couple of emails and sending them pictures of the razor with new ones for comparison, I received and email that my $ will be refunded when I reply with the tracking # shipping the razor back. All's well that ends well. I'm off to the post office to ship the razor back and later I will order a new Revsor to replace it. Thanks for everyone's support and good advise. Glad this is over.

having personally gone through about 20 'new' Thiers Issard razors, I can say that their quality from the factory is a variable function.
Some are perfect and some are not.
Some issues arise at factory and some at the reseller, whether handling, prep or shipping issues.
I've learned to expect to send any new TI's to a honemeister for proper sharpening plus any corrective measures.
Once corrected and honed well, these are great shaving razors.
Just my experience, FYI.
View attachment 625982

Well shoot shooby dang, now that's an eyefull!!!!

I'm following it Ronnie. I'm glad that everything seems to turn out to the best. Revisor makes nice razors. Their 6/8 thumb notch razors are very similar to the Dovo Bismarck razors in every aspect. I know that you like your Bismarck razors. I have one Revisor thumb notch with a golden spine and 'Revisor' engraved into the spine I can recommend the razor but the gold on the spine fades fast. I've read that at least one other member have had the same experience.

Top Bottom