What's new

My first straight razor shaving

Hi all,
After a couple of months doing some research and checking what to get and for how much, and after reading some people's posts about the Gold Dollar razors, I decided to get a nice Gold Dollar 66, and I've found here a nice guy, jrabi, that gave me a review about his experience with these razors so all I had to find someone to make it shave ready for me, so jrabi kindly offered his help with this and he ordered for me a Gold Dollar, honed it to shave ready and sent it to me, I've got it yesterday, with a self made strop he was so kind to give me for free as a gift. I'm very grateful for this gentle service he made for me, and I'm glad to see there are still nice people in the world you can trust and they will help you without trying to scam you or make profit out of it.
The razor is a cheap one, the scales look cheap, but the blade looks great and very sharp.
I had to hold myself not to shave yesterday as it was a bit late and I wanted to dedicate enough time to do it slowly, so I waited for today, I was so excited about it!
I took a nice shower, washed my face, applied some hair conditioner, then washed again with hot water, took my Omega boar brush and covered my face with lathe.
Following many people's suggestions, I only did two passes WTG, slow, slow, and then a short careful one XTG.
I was so surprised I succeeded not to cut myself at all, I only got a couple of little nicks that didn't even need to do nothing about, they stopped bleeding as soon as I've finished washing my face with cold water at the end of the shave.
Of course the shaving is not perfect, far from it, and there are some spots that don't look really well shaved, such as right under my nose, I guess that's a place you can get good results only with an ATG pass, but I'll wait for it a little longer...
My face is a little irritated, I mean I can feel it still burns a bit since I applied aftershave balm, but so far it doesn't look red, let's wait to see how I wake up tomorrow.
I'm really happy with the results, especially with the fact I didn't need any stitches! :clap:
I can't wait for my beard to grow so I can shave again!
I feel so green, so newbie, that I know I still have a lot of time remaining until it becomes a routine, so I can only expect a long time of fun, I think the most interesting and enjoyable part is the learning path, more than reaching the objective itself!
I feel I've got the stropping technique quite well right off the bat, I didn't cut anything, and it went very nice, thanks to all those guys that posted videos about it.
No matter how many videos I watched, I still was confused about how to pull the skin, how to place the razor, from where to where to make the stroke, etc. but it was fun!
I think I understand better now about the pleasure one gets from having that sharp blade so close to your face, your neck. I would even say it's kinda morbid pleasure, don't you think? The fact this lethal weapon is actually shaving your face, making the peculiar noise you hear so close with every stroke, exciting!
Am I a pervert, or you feel the same?
I'm 41 y/o, but today was one of the first times I felt a real "man", I think that's one of the reasons I chose this hobby (nowadays, I wouldn't call it otherwise)
It's an art, an art of manliness!

Sometimes, I felt the razor was pulling the hair a bit too hard, what could be the reason for that? Bad technique? Bad angle? Not enough beard prep? Razor not sharp enough?

I hope you enjoyed this chronicle as much as I did!
Cheers and thanks all for the helpful info you all share with us!
Ziv

Excellent. Please keep it up. If your razor gets dull (and it will) I'll touch it up for you for the price of shipping.

Congrats.

Sometimes, I felt the razor was pulling the hair a bit too hard, what could be the reason for that? Bad technique? Bad angle? Not enough beard prep? Razor not sharp enough?
Could be any one of them, but easiest to fix is the blade angle, keep the angle pretty steep vs the skin, ie, lift the spine of the blade just off the skin maybe 1/4 inch or so.
Are you stretching the skin, this also helps reduce the pulling sensation.
Also if your strokes are slow, they will tend to pull/tug more at the whiskers, a quicker more deliberate stroke will reduce this pulling, but this all comes with practice.

I'm glad that you started straight shaving with good experiences! I wish you lots of fun experience further straight shave!

Thanks all for the kind words!
My beard is growing again, I guess the fact my last shaving wasn't so good...
I think it's long enough so can give it another try this evening, or tomorrow! I had never been so keen about shaving in my life!! This is really cool!

Top Bottom