What's new

My first Custom Dress Shirt review

Hi All,

I'd been having trouble finding a dress shirt that fit me well, and decided to try my first custom made or "made-to-measure" dress shirt. After doing some online research, I decided to try out Proper Cloth. Although you can input your measurements, design your shirt, and do everything on their website, I decided to go to their brick and mortar office here in NYC to get measured and pick a fabric in person.

The employee who helped me was fantastic. Via a laptop at their office/store, I created an account, and he quickly took my measurements and input them into the account. The measurements were very detailed, even taking into account which wrist I wear my watch on, and allowing extra space under the cuff!

We then selected fabrics. Being on a budget, I only browsed their most affordable options, but there are a huge range if money is no object. I ended up going with a classic all purpose light blue, the "Bowery Light Blue Wrinkle-Resistant Pinpoint." We then picked a collar (English Spread), cuff style (normal single button), button style (plain, not mother of pearl), a pocket options (no pocket.). The grand total (with shipping) was $110. Not exactly cheap, but not bad for custom made. Also, once it arrives, if anything doesn't fit correctly, they will adjust or remake it for NO CHARGE.

The shirt should arrive in two weeks, and if folks are interested, I'll post pics and a review of the actual shirt. Also, if you use my referral link to create an account, you will get a discount, and I'll score some credit.

Stay tuned!

-Zap

Last edited:
I have used iTailor.com for several orders with great luck. Their prices on tailored shirts are surprisingly competitive, and they have just started offering suits, pants, and sport coats. I think shoes are planned for the future.

How in the world do you figure out which fabric to order? Thread count and grams per something and oh my dear!!! Takes more knowledge than I have!

Yeah, I'm still trying to learn the specifics but I know most of the basics and most importantly, I know my price range. I know I want 4 shirts, 100% Egyptian cotton broadcloth/poplin 120 or 140, low sheen (2 blue, 2 blue/white stripe). The only problem I'm having is trying to decide collar styles and whether I want a fused and/or soft collar. I'll probably order a couple different options to see what I like. Remember, prices include VAT, so deduct the VAT (20%) for the US price.

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The only problem I'm having is trying to decide collar styles and whether I want a fused and/or soft collar. I'll probably order a couple different options to see what I like.

Decide on that before you order a whole whack of shirts. Four shirts is probably (assuming you wear them all the time) a "small order" so you can experiment with different options. It boils down to personal preference: a fused collar will look "crisper" (unless the fusing comes apart and then it looks "bubbly", but fusing technology is good enough nowadays that that is rare on better quality shirts) and soft will be lacking that crispness ... whatever you call the alternative.

Proper Cloth has received some good reviews, so I took a flyer and ordered a test shirt from them this afternoon. Oxford broadcloth, white, point collar, mother of pearl buttons, French cuffs, and watch allowance on the left wrist. In other words, my standard dress shirt.

Can't wait to see how they do.

Ken

How in the world do you figure out which fabric to order? Thread count and grams per something and oh my dear!!! Takes more knowledge than I have!
I am fortunate/unfortunate enough to live in NYC, so I was able to go into their office in SoHo and check out the fabric swatches in person. It wasn't so hard to choose, since I knew I wanted to go with the lowest price range, in a light weight light blue, so there were only 2 or 3 options that fit that bill.

Decide on that before you order a whole whack of shirts. Four shirts is probably (assuming you wear them all the time) a "small order" so you can experiment with different options. It boils down to personal preference: a fused collar will look "crisper" (unless the fusing comes apart and then it looks "bubbly", but fusing technology is good enough nowadays that that is rare on better quality shirts) and soft will be lacking that crispness ... whatever you call the alternative.

Thanks for the info...I'm thinking about ordering 2 soft collars and 2 unfused collars. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the soft collars are still lined but uses softer fusing and the unfused collar still has lining but not fused to the shirting.

$110 seems a little expensive for online M2M to me. Starting bespoke shirts start at about $135 depending on the tailor. Much better in my opinion.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I'm thinking about ordering 2 soft collars and 2 unfused collars. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the soft collars are still lined but uses softer fusing and the unfused collar still has lining but not fused to the shirting.

I'd check with the maker to see how they are using the terms.

Top Bottom