What's new

my dilema

Ok here awile back I decided to try a Str8. So I bought the junk one from the antique store, then a very generous member here offered a shave ready razor for the price of shipping. So I bought my strop and got my razor.

Today I had my First shave with it. Well it was intersting. I managed to finish without cutting any arteries, only one minor 1.5" scratch on the neck. The shave itself was not so good, my beard is still pretty rough in places.

So here is my dilema, my wife is planning on buying me a new str8 and a hone for Christmas. So she asks this morning if i shaved with the str8, so i tell her the story. She then asks if that is what i still want for Christmas or do i want to wait and see if it gets any better. I know if I wait, she will give me a hard time about spending the money on the razor and hone later, but if i get it for Christmas and decide not to use it later, she is will probably be upset.

Hmmmm, what to do?

What you have to ask yourself is do you really want to shave with a straight. If the answer is no move on. If the answer is yes remember that straight shaving is a skill that must be learned. It takes time to master. Most will tell you it took somewhere between weeks and months to get descent shaves and many months to become really comfortable.

Keep at it. You'll get better, not worse.

IF you decide in the end to drop it, straights and hones go quickly on the BST forum. You can liquidate them and get something else you want.

STR8 Shaving takes time to learn. It will take practice to become proficient well alone great. I would not give up after one shave. If you like the idea and the process stick with it the great shaves will come. Then there is the thrill of shaving with a edge you honed yourself once you learn to hone or trying differnt hones to experiment. I could go on for ever just stick with it, I doubt you will regret it.

IF you decide in the end to drop it, straights and hones go quickly on the BST forum. You can liquidate them and get something else you want.

This is undoubtedly true, however depending on what you and your wife value it may not work for a straight razor that was a Christmas present. But then again some people like to have one straight just as a display object even if they don't shave or only shave occasionally with it.
Try few more shaves over the next week or so and you may be able to decide.

I have only 5 straight shaves under my belt, but the difference between the first and the last is night and day. It is fun, addictive and you get a little better each time you use it. Keep at it, you cannot get worse, right?

I'm sure you'll get better at it, but will you continue to use it? I think that's your question and that's something you have to answer yourself.

==Tom

I echo the comments of others you WILL get better as you learn and there is a learning curve.

The questions then becomes are you willing to commit the time needed to maintain the razor or are you more comfortable with the convenience of a DE blade. There is significantly less concentration required to use a DE.

I know if I wait, she will give me a hard time about spending the money on the razor and hone later, but if i get it for Christmas and decide not to use it later, she is will probably be upset.

Hmmmm, what to do?

You know your wife, so you'll have to decide if this will fly with her or not.

I'd tell her that you really want to give try straight shaving a try. This is just a big, fun experiment. The skill takes time to develop. It is too soon to tell if you'll be able to make it part of your daily routine.

The real gift is about the experience of straight shaving, not the razor and hone itself. You are at the beginner stage and don't have the experience to determine that these are the ideal tools for you. Finding what works for you is all part of the fun. You might decide that a different razor or hone would work better and make a trade. You might decide that this just isn't your thing after all.

Regardless of the ultimate outcome, it will be a great gift because you got to try something new.

If she understands this explanation, then she won't get her feelings hurt if decide to sell or trade the gear later.

Get it for Christmas, because your into shaving. Straights are a part of your hobby. Don't even worry about shaving with it or not. You will though, even if you only "finish" DE shaves with it. Its like buying a violin even if you don't plan to join the orchestra. Its still cool. Everything for Christmas doesn't have to be practical.

Thanks for the advice.

I told my wife to go ahead with what she had planned on. I know i will get better with it.

I guess I just needed a little encouragement from someone else.

Thanks again,

Top Bottom