What's new

Moths.

Legion

Staff member
Has anybody got a good solution to keep moths at bay? I just pulled out a fairly valuable coat from my closet (Vintage Burberrys) and it has been destroyed! There is no evidence of the culprits, but I guess it must have been moths. A year ago I had the same thing happen to a vintage wool picnic blanket, but the coat is particularly upsetting, as I had it tailored to fit, and it was worth a bit. I really liked that coat.

I don't really want to use mothballs/naphthaline because of the smell, and it is not very good for you. I had a bunch of cedar disks and balls in that closet, and they obviously did nothing...

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Aromatic Cedar-wood. Maybe every 5 years or so give it a quick sanding with coarse sanding paper. We have small planks of it in all our cabinets with clothing, never had any issue. I picked up a good amount of tongue and groove many years ago, meant to be the inside wall liner of a cedar cabinet for clothing. Never seen it offered again.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I have read that sanded cedar is a mild repellant, but if you have moths or moths eggs, it does not kill them. First and foremost, begin with freshly cleaned woolens and put them in a sealed bag. The moths that lay the eggs that turn into the larvae that eat the holes are very small. You will probably not even notice them. As to methods other than mothballs, I have read that wrapping the clothing and putting it in the freezer at or below 0 F, at least three days but some suggest a week, will kill them.

Legion

Staff member
I have read that sanded cedar is a mild repellant, but if you have moths or moths eggs, it does not kill them. First and foremost, begin with freshly cleaned woolens and put them in a sealed bag. The moths that lay the eggs that turn into the larvae that eat the holes are very small. You will probably not even notice them. As to methods other than mothballs, I have read that wrapping the clothing and putting it in the freezer at or below 0 F, at least three days but some suggest a week, will kill them.
It will kill them. Museums have big walk in freezer rooms that they put new acquisitions in when they arrive. That’s all well and good, but it doesn’t stop them coming back.

I have these cedar disks that go on the top of all the coat hangers that are supposed to repel them, but clearly they don’t work.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
It will kill them. Museums have big walk in freezer rooms that they put new acquisitions in when they arrive. That’s all well and good, but it doesn’t stop them coming back.

I have these cedar disks that go on the top of all the coat hangers that are supposed to repel them, but clearly they don’t work.

This is also the typical method used with tobacco beetle eggs in cigars. Deep freezing shatters the eggs, killing them. Most larger volume cigar makers (but not all) flash freeze their production at some point before sale for that reason.

To do it at home effectively, you need a deep freezer that gets to at least -10F. The old units would get that cold, but a lot of the newer ones don’t.

Top Bottom