What's new

Morgans High Shine Pomade and a pomade odyssey

Good afternoon

Around 20 years ago my hair products of choice were rigorously pomades: Brylcreem followed by Sweet Georgia Brown, Black and White, Nunile, Dax Wave and Groom, Dax Wax and Dax Super Light (what a truly wonderful perfume). All oil based, old school products purchased in the main, from Flip- a lamentably defunct vintage second-hand clothes store in Edinburgh. Unfortunately one particularly short and misplaced haircut drew me towards more commerical waxes and, latterly, gels- wet look in particular. Superglue hold, apply and forget. Crunchy, flaky and horrible to the touch. My attentions later turned to Groom and Clean which brought with it the virtues of sheen and day-long softness; furthermore it was easy to wash out while avoiding sofa, car seat and bed clothes stains. However the nauseating smell and light hold meant the product was not my ideal fix.

Last week I came across a jar of Morgans High Shine water-based pomade and given the lack of reviews on this particular UK offering, thought I'd let you know my impressions. Brownish black and soft, if slightly waxy to the touch, with a peculiar medicinal smell not unlike Dandelion and Burdock (or Chinotto for Italian readers). It applies well to damp hair with little resistance when combed through. The shine isn't as good as advertised but has reasonable longevity, and the hold is very impressive indeed, not overly drying and, if needed, easily re-stylable with a wet comb. All in all an impressive find, piquing my interest in other similar products. Daimon Barber no1 and a jar of the all-natural Ominous Style water based pomade are now on order; needless to say I'm hoping for great things...

Finally, a curiosity I have noticed with most hair products is that while they may tame my locks perfectly for a period, my hair eventually fights back and requires an alternative solution, independent of length and style. I suspect I may not be alone here. If nothing else it's a worthwhile excuse for product hoarding...

Last edited:
Top Bottom