What's new

More brush woes...

I seem to be going through an unlucky streak with my brushes and I'm looking for some feedback from all of you on the latest...

I bought a Rooney 3/1 from Vintage Blades in July and while it was smaller then I thought it would be it did a great job. The problem was that it seemed to be losing a fair amount of hairs. Like 2-6 every shave. I didn't want to be a whiner and I know that new brushes are prone to losing a few hairs but this seemed ridiculous. I finally realized about two weeks ago that this wasn't right or getting better and sent an email to the vendor.

Completely unshockingly, I got an immediate response asking me to take a few steps to clean it and let them know if the problem continues. Since then the brush has lost only about 2-3 hairs each shave but this still seems like an awful lot from a cummulative sense.

Of course the brush has also hit its stride in terms of comfort and ability and I'm seeing why it comes so recommended.

So here's the question. This is not normal, right? Faulty brush? Thank Vintage Blades for their phenomenal customer service, cut my losses, and try again with a new brush?

I'm just a bit gun shy after sending back my broken yet perfectly broken in 1305 a month ago, only to hear howls of protest from other guys on the board about how I should have just epoxied the thing back together.

Okay, I'm all ears fellas...

Let Jim know it's still shedding and he'll likely want to do an exchange with you. Vintage blades has great customer service.

Clayton

Wouldn't rush to declare either way yet. Vendor has been notified and is aware of possible problem. Gave you steps which may or may not solve the problem and I would give it a month long trial. Vendor would certainly feel your fairness in your final decision as would you knowing for sure that it was the right one.

I have a Rooney 3, 1 that shed hair just like yours. I decided to stick with it and it eventually stopped. However, it was a good year or so after I got it. At one point the vendor offered to replace it, but I decided to keep it. I used it in a rotation with a couple of others, it wasn't my favorite, and figured it was so densely packed it could stand to lose a few.

Oh, and don't let others make you feel bad about your stuff. If I buy something new and it doesn't work right, especially if the knot falls out or some other major flaw in an item, I'm sending it back for a replacement. Epoxy it back in yourself? That's ridiculous. You did the right thing.

Last edited:
I'm curious to know the cleaning steps / process provided by the vendor. I have a new brush, not a Rooney, that's shedding and willing to try about anything.

Sounds like you have done the right thing. Since Jim is aware, hang on to it a little longer and see if it settles down. You can always contact him later. It can take several months to stop shedding, and it's going to lose the occasional hair thereafter for the rest of its lifetime.

I'm curious to know the cleaning steps / process provided by the vendor. I have a new brush, not a Rooney, that's shedding and willing to try about anything.

Here's the text of the email...

"I am sorry to hear of your concern about the loss of hair from your Rooney shaving brush. You are correct that it's not uncommon for a brush to lose a hair now and then, particularly when first used. Many times this is just the result of loose hairs from the original badger hair bundle not being properly combed out at the factory when the brush was made. Unfortunately, the hair loss you describe sounds a bit outside the norm. However, before giving up on a perfectly good shaving brush, here is what we ask you do. Give the brush a good aggressive shampoo with your normal hair shampoo. You may even want to do this twice. Thoroughly rinse the brush out and let it dry. When it is completely dry, comb it thoroughly with whatever wide gap comb or brush you have available. Then, rub your hand back and forth across the brush to bring up any additional loose hairs. Now you should use your brush exclusively for another week to see if the shedding continues. At that point, you will have done everything possible to determine if you have a "true shedder". If the shedding does not stop, your brush will be replaced by us at no charge. Please understand that this process is the "due diligence" required of us by the manufacturer."

I thought this was a great response FWIW.

I have a Rooney 3, 1 that shed hair just like yours. I decided to stick with it and it eventually stopped. However, it was a good year or so after I got it. At one point the vendor offered to replace it, but I decided to keep it. I used it in a rotation with a couple of others, it wasn't my favorite, and figured it was so densely packed it could stand to lose a few.

Oh, and don't let others make you feel bad about your stuff. If I buy something new and it doesn't work right, especially if the knot falls out or some other major flaw in an item, I'm sending it back for a replacement. Epoxy it back in yourself? That's ridiculous. You did the right thing.

I guess I'm just trying to get a feel for when is "enough is enough." I also don't want to wait too long. While Jim is being great about this, there reaches a point I'm sure where they'll probably say that's nice, good luck.

Here's the text of the email...

Thanks for posting it. :thumbup1:

I saw a similar recommendation on another form. I tried it [twice] with my particular brush and the shampoo / combing treatment slowed the shedding. Unfortunately, I'm close to the end of the "using" period and it's still losing 10 to 20 bristles per shave. :cursing:

I'm sending mine back Monday.

Thanks for posting it. :thumbup1:

I saw a similar recommendation on another form. I tried it [twice] with my particular brush and the shampoo / combing treatment slowed the shedding. Unfortunately, I'm close to the end of the "using" period and it's still losing 10 to 20 bristles per shave. :cursing:

I'm sending mine back Monday.

Yeah, I don't think I would be waiting around if I was talking about 10 to 20 bristles. That clearly seems like a defective brush. Glad to hear the vendor is playing any games with you either.

Top Bottom