Mold on a boar brush?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
What’s wrong with mold on a brush?

IMG_0508.jpeg
IMG_0507.jpeg
IMG_0506.jpeg

Get in with a pea size stain and get out like a water balloon exploded in the shirt, covered with wet shredded paper towel pieces.

That number 1 look afterwards is priceless though… “what the @&$& happened to you in there?!” 🤣

Always used the premium cabin washrooms, they had cloth towels. :thumbup1:

And the stains really dry fast when you pat the wet fabric of the shirt on both sides with them.

B.

I wonder if water could have gotten trapped inside a hollow space in the handle.

🤔

The only mold/mildew problem I've had with my brushes was a synthetic that did not get a chance to completely dry out for several days.

Never had mold on a brush, but I shave every-other day and rotate my brushes. My brushes live on an open shelf in the bathroom, but I leave the "used" brush on the counter to dry bristles up, after a squeeze, a few shakes, and a light rub on a dry towel.

The humidity level in the house is rarely higher than 60% so maybe that helps.

I suppose if I had a mold problem I might try setting the brushes in front of a small desk fan to speed up drying time.

True. That means that having 2 days to dry hanging up is not enough. Probably due to the density of the knot, it takes more time to get water out of the base. Thing is, I shave every 2 days, so it's a problem because it can't get dry enough between shaves.

Yeah I assumed so. But in my experience, my synth is bone dry just from wiping it on a towel for like 10-20 seconds.
I seriously doubt your synth was bone dry from just wiping it on a towel for 10-20 seconds.

@Toothpick , Beyond the aesthetic concerns noted above mold on a brush may actually be consuming what look like natural boar bristles on your brush, weakening them. Additionally some molds can also encourage bacterial growth that can also come from the same moisture that supported the mold. Not a good idea to lather with a brush with extra bacterial right before applying a sharp blade to your skin.

I've never found mold on my brushes. With three to rotate between they always have at least two days to fully dry prior to next use. After use I shake them out a bit and then hang upside down on a brush holder.

@Toothpick , Beyond the aesthetic concerns noted above mold on a brush may actually be consuming what look like natural boar bristles on your brush, weakening them. Additionally some molds can also encourage bacterial growth that can also come from the same moisture that supported the mold. Not a good idea to lather with a brush with extra bacterial right before applying a sharp blade to your skin.

I've never found mold on my brushes. With three to rotate between they always have at least two days to fully dry prior to next use. After use I shake them out a bit and then hang upside down on a brush holder.
Apparently molds feed on bacteria. They're like a shaving brush's immune system!
And mold slime adds a slickness to lather that can't be beat. :wink2:

Well Vinegar or Bleach kills mold, your brush will be toast after use of mold killing stuff.

Wander is soaking in Dawn Antibacterial Dish Doap would kill Mold? Then rinse in cold water for a time. Then allowing to dry.

Phoenix is hot as hell right now, nothing can live outside long.

Well Vinegar or Bleach kills mold, your brush will be toast after use of mold killing stuff.

Wander is soaking in Dawn Antibacterial Dish Doap would kill Mold? Then rinse in cold water for a time. Then allowing to dry.

Phoenix is hot as hell right now, nothing can live outside long.
I think that's an understatement...
But, I have experienced this level of heat while in Casa Grande a few years back - still scarred by 116*

I think that's an understatement...
But, I have experienced this level of heat while in Casa Grande a few years back - still scarred by 116*

Back in June 1998 it hit 122 in Surprise, if was like stand in front of Fire Breathing Dragon and getting the hot breat treatment.

Top Bottom