What's new

Modern Shaving System Acquisition Thread.

Thanks! Several vintage models in the past, traded or sold as well (and maybe stashed in the basement somewhere, if I could find them!). The angular head was a puzzle to me, until I fiddled with it in Philips' new cleaner - the Quick Clean Pod system. It occurs to me now that they specifically designed it to stabilize the shaver in the cleaner - it really doesn't seem to have a functional purpose using it. The cleaning "station" is just a container that holds a small "pod" of the cleaning solution, and the shaver just sits in it head-first - no other support. I think if the heads were the traditional round Philips heads, it would potentially slip around, but that's just a theory. There doesn't seem to be an advantage shaving with it, compared to say the S7940. Same "frictionless" rings, except the angled head has more space on one side of the "pentagon" before you actually reach the combs and cutters, so you can't actually shave as close to your ear or nose on that side for example. In practical use, the shape of the ComfortGlide rings doesn't help or hinder the shave, it just makes you use a different technique than using the round heads. The cutters themselves (SH71/52) are an improvement, and do seem to provide a closer and more comfortable shave than any other Philips heads I've used, and I really like them. Again no practical difference as far as shavers, because all of Philips' recent shavers use a standard 20mm comb, so the heads are essentially interchangeable between any of their shavers. A couple of things I like - and don't - with the new Series 7000 shavers are the integral trimmer and the flip-top head cassette. No more swapping heads to trim, or removing heads to clean. The "don't like" part is that they add bulk and weight to the shaver, and the trimmer isn't quite as effective as Philips' standard removable trimmer. Overall, pretty impressed, and it's my new favorite rotary, warts and all.

View attachment 1242217

Thanks for an excellent review on this new shaver. I think that making the cleaning system smaller really helps for people living in apartments. Depends on the size bathroom of course. When I got my S7710 I had the cleaning station go out after one or two weeks but it had to go because of space. The smaller size means it can fit in smaller bathrooms and it would not be too big to bring in and out of some storage space. It is cool that the heads can go around in different shavers. That I learnt here on the forum from you I think and I acquired the heads from a Prestige shaver to try on the 7710. They shaved closer than the 7710 originals but I think I prefer the original comfort wise. It worked all right of course but the shaving shaving head I got were from a friend that had his changed after 2 years so they might have been a little worn out so not the best comparison. But got to say he is one of the kind that changes stuff at the manufacturers recommendation no matter what, do not really think he said he had seen a degradation of the shave.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
34CB1AD6-AE46-4517-AE66-03782B33C852.jpeg
B78F96ED-4F0D-4266-8317-F7CD3F768FE9.jpeg

Picked up some Gillette SkinGuard carts on clearance at Big W here in Australia.They set me back $24.50 ( half price ) for a packet of 8 cartridge blades. To me it works out quite reasonable as I hit 100 shaves on a Gillette SkinGuard cart today. So that makes a potential 840 shaves from this packet.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
EB1E9560-A76A-444A-A259-A7E4268478CF.jpeg
0B3DE6F1-00E1-4065-B2F9-31062CAE04DC.jpeg

Picked up an 8 pack of Gillette Fusion Proglide Power blades on clearance today. From $44.00 down to $8.80. Nice bargain. Probably should have bought some more but I think this might have been the last packet.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
8598CAC9-3BBF-41E2-BF7F-B6C8A3304A28.jpeg
3536754B-4603-4347-B98A-4D94682E10DC.jpeg

This little lot turned up today. A Schick Super II handle and blades still in their original packaging and an old Packet of Gillette G2 cartridges still in the original packaging. No where near as good as @Sabre Super II haul from a little while ago.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
View attachment 1443819View attachment 1443820
This little lot turned up today. A Schick Super II handle and blades still in their original packaging and an old Packet of Gillette G2 cartridges still in the original packaging. No where near as good as @Sabre Super II haul from a little while ago.
Just used this Schick Super II today, and yesterday...I kinda forgot I had it, and while looking for some other stuff it fell into my hands. Then I had go to the basement and dig up blades, which I was lucky to find. Really nice shaves with this set up.

These all came in the mail today, never tried any of them so looking forward to giving them a go. I also recently picked up a Wilkinson Sword Protector 3 and Hydro 5. Haven't tried the Hydro 5 yet, but had a great shave with the Protector 3 a few days ago. A very close, comfortable and forgiving shaver.

IMG_20220608_155139.jpg

The Hydro 5 is a pretty good cartridge (IMO better than Gillette). I still use it to shave the back of my neck and as a travel razor in case I am not able to carry DE blades. I don't have a lot to shave on the back of my neck if I do it about once a week or so, so I am able to rinse between the blades and prevent clogging. (Two main things drove me to DE shaving: Clogging and cartridge prices. As an added benefit, I found that a DE razor has really cleared up my occurrences of ingrown hairs.)

I scored a 1990 L4 think last qtr Birth Year Gillette Atra Plus online recently for 3 bucks with case bought about 40 Top care Trac ii Atra carts the other few days also think there is some from years ago around the house hopefully this would be a good backup travel razor or quick shaves ive used my dads before few times
PXL_20220610_183050706~2.jpg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
CB6C2EFC-0ADD-4CBF-9DF5-371B65C9FC50.jpeg
C6310243-247C-4344-B12F-358BF49890DD.jpeg
23658489-321A-4570-A111-1C9FCE5858E3.jpeg
1E30BB1E-3496-42BC-9BD2-2C9277991A50.jpeg
43F3D4DC-8840-45AE-B2DB-E41149C50DF9.jpeg
FAACC274-9098-4FED-BA0E-1E99F3FCBE71.jpeg
371B0896-BB87-4E41-BDF5-FC8E4E4C9A1C.jpeg

Picked up these recently at my work place. All on half price sale. First packet is a pack of 4 Gillette SkinMate disposable razors. I think it is a take on the Gillette SkinGuard which for me is an absolutely fantastic cartridge razor. The second packet is a Gillette Labs cartridge razor with Exfoliating bar. It is not the heated razor just the one with the exfoliating bar and the last packet is a Jack The Barber Rogue 6 blade razor kit. I am not sure when I will get around to trying them but I hope to soon.
42AF5810-541A-4EBA-8E73-16062E6088B7.jpeg

Some new stuff I picked up recently at a couple of discount stores. I have never tried any of them. The last 2 years I have been using DE safety razors and before that all I used were the twin blade disposable cartridge razors from the dollar store. Don't get me wrong I LOVE using my DE safety razors, but I am open to experimentation with all forms of wet shaving systems.

IMG_20220926_172055.jpg IMG_20220927_102021.jpg IMG_20220927_102047.jpg IMG_20220927_102114.jpg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
The Gillette Mach 3 is a fantastic triple cartridge razor IMHO. I have a some BIC Flex 3 and Flex 4 razors here. I have only used the BIC Flex 4 and got just over 100shaves out of one cart. I pushed it as far as I could go. I have never heard of the other two but they are worthy of a review when you eventually use them.

The Gillette Mach 3 is a fantastic triple cartridge razor IMHO. I have a some BIC Flex 3 and Flex 4 razors here. I have only used the BIC Flex 4 and got just over 100shaves out of one cart. I pushed it as far as I could go. I have never heard of the other two but they are worthy of a review when you eventually use them.

I have never used any of those razors ever except for the Mach 3. I tried it yesterday and it gave me a very good shave. I was impressed! The "Koolraz" and "Super Max Swift 3" are dollar store razors. The Super Max Swift was only $1.50 at Dollar Tree. I do know that Super Max make DE blades as well and I think people like using them. I can post a review of these razors if anyone is interested.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
BF45BDC5-4338-4656-B5C4-4B39E19A937A.jpeg
F0738027-E05D-4455-842E-BADBC976B1D1.jpeg
84A36F45-FFC0-406D-96F8-5CF23B706D7C.jpeg

Received this parcel in the mail today. Some Gillette Mach 3 goodness. Another eBay late night purchase but I wasn’t under the weather, just tired. I quite like the Mach 3 but my all time favourite cartridge razors are still Schicks.

I had an UNO Shave Company razor a few years ago and I came away with mixed feelings; when I was on with it, it shaved great but other times it didn't feel like it was shaving, probably because I didn't take enough time to get used to the way their cartridge is set up compared to what we're used to. I decided to order another and see what happens this time around.

I've been shaving with the Gillette Skinguard cartridge razor for the past few weeks using Gillette Sensor shaving gel and Brut for aftershave. The razor works incredibly well imo. It is a two blade design with a sort of skin protector bar spanning between the two blades, lot's of room for easy rinsing, absolutely no issues with clogging. A fairly mild cartridge but I have been able to achieve very smooth, clean two pass shaves with zero irritation. I thought I would re-visit cartridge razors for a while after many years of straight and DE shaving and have been pleasantly surprised. It works very well imo and I would rate it better than DE tbh (using this particular cartridge). With daily shaving, DE always seemed to end up giving me the most irritation, especially on the neck, despite starting out fine.

I've been shaving with the Gillette Skinguard cartridge razor for the past few weeks using Gillette With daily shaving, DE always seemed to end up giving me the most irritation, especially on the neck, despite starting out fine.
I used to have the same neck irritation issues using DE razors. For me this is caused by either too much pressure, insufficient pre-shave prep, insufficient lather slickness, or some combination of these. It is totally possible to get irritation-free shaves, even on your neck, with a DE razor.

Top Bottom