What's new

Military-style watch

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
http://www.princetonwatches.com/shop/96A102.asp

proxy.php

I think what you have to decide is whether you want a military-style watch or a military watch. Many infantrymen wear G-Shocks, which are unequivocally tougher than any other watch made. If you're looking for classic analogue, there are many options, though you run the risk of looking like a total pseud if you spend too much on one. Probably about as authentic as you can get is
Ollech and Wass
or
MWC.
So is authenticity important to you or do you want a good watch, but in this style?

I think what you have to decide is whether you want a military-style watch or a military watch. Many infantrymen wear G-Shocks, which are unequivocally tougher than any other watch made. If you're looking for classic analogue, there are many options, though you run the risk of looking like a total pseud if you spend too much on one. Probably about as authentic as you can get is
Ollech and Wass
or
MWC.
So is authenticity important to you or do you want a good watch, but in this style?

I agree with you except both G shocks I have had lasted 6 months at best.

MWC is a brand I'd avoid- it's knocking off CWC (check the military watch resource)

I'd heard it was better to stay away from CWC as MWC were better made (can't remember which forum I read this on, but this is no less informative than "military watch source"). If you're choosing between the two, the only salient points I'd reckon are which type of crystal you prefer (acrylic or mineral glass) and whether its important to have a battery hatch. I wouldn't be able to offer a personal opinion on the relative merits of these 2 companies, but have handled an MWC and though it was well done. I think the MWCs are a bit cheaper, but I'm sure neither of them will let you down and both are definitely military watchmakers who supply to governments.

Another post, another suggestion: I'm going to mention a UK manufacturer, Timefactors.

Personally, I don't like 24-hour dials - I prefer one to 12, which is how UK military watches have it. Timefactors produces the Precista range, some of which have Nato stock numbers (which does not necessarily mean they are supplied to the military, just that they are available for purchase by various units) and have re-launched Smiths military watches.

And this is what I'm saving up for, the Smiths PRS-29A:

proxy.php

Picture courtesy Timefactors

To be honest, I've stopped wearing my divers as I prefer a 36mm case. It's just more comfortable.

EDIT: I've read posts criticizing MWC watches, which appear to be a lesser quality than CWC. I've owned neither, so I cannot comment - but I'd recommend a thorough online search.

Last edited:
Personally I like the Casio G-Shock watches... They have quite a few military style watches. I have the GW-530A which is solar and atomic. I made a cobra stitch 550 cord band for it as I did not particularly like the stock rubber band.

how can you define the quality of this wristwatch? It looks very good and the price is great for this design..

It is definitely well made watch. For the price,well worth it. It gets good reviews as well.It is not a grand complication :) but it is very good everyday automatic watch. The only drawback is, if you have a big wrist , it will look small on you, I have small wrists, so it suits me very well. Welcome to the forum btw!

Have you looked at Hamilton? Hamilton used to supply the military with watches during WWII.

Hamilton stopped US production quite some time ago. I do not know if current "Hamilton" branded watches are made by the same company that produced Hamilton's for WWII military production or if someone simply bought the name.

In WWII almost all of Hamilton's production went to the military. They made the famous 4992B pocket watch for the Army Air Corps and the equally famous Mod. 22, Marine Chronograph for the Navy. Since I don't collect wrist-watches, I'm not certain what, if any, they made for the military.

Here's some photos. The first is a 4992B pocket-watch with a coin-silver case, made for officers, and housed in a wooden case with shock-absorbers. In flight, there was another metal case with springs to absorb the shock of flak. Both cases closed and have circular windows to view the time. The 4992B was 22 jewels, identical to the 992B civilian movement with the addition of a 24 hour black dial and a sweep-second hand, which required the additional jewel.

The other is the Hamilton Mod. 22, a ship's chronograph. These were so accurate that when they were first designed, there was no instrument that could measure their accuracy. They had to be sent to a naval observatory to test them against the stars.

Top Bottom