What's new

Military brush discussion

Has anyone purchased a Kent brush off this site: http://www.baysidebrushco.com/store/c/127-Finest-Mens.html

They seem to have different grades of stiffness for their Kent natural bristle. I was interested in purchasing a Mason Pearson nylon/bristle military brush but have read some things that suggest the natural bristle alone is superior for sealing the cuticle layer and for shine and oil distribution.

I did also come across the Jack Dean brush on Westcoast, which for $7 looks promising. I am looking for someone that can comment on how it or other Denman compare to Kent or a Mason Pearson as well. But mostly if anyone can discuss the grades of stiffness under the Kent selections. It is a pretty expensive purchase and probably difficult to sell if it doesn't work out so any help is appreciated.

Thank you

Last edited:
I bought two Kent military brushes from Kent direct. This was through their eBay store front I believe. I think they were rated seconds but I am hanged if I can tell why. These are white bristle versions and while some claim they are not as stiff as the black bristles, Kent assured me very strongly there was no difference between the two. Since I do not own the black variety I cannot say. They do make a softer version with white bristles but it is specifically labeled as such. By buying them on their eBay(I have no idea if they still do this or not. I think it was an outlet type store front) I saved a significant amount of money. On the order of less than half price. It made getting the real deal a lot easier and more justifiable.

I personally believe the military brushes work best with short and short/medium length hair. And they work with traditional product such as pomade to distribute it evenly in the hair. Mind, you are going to coat the bristles with a grease or wax hair dressing so approach with caution. I suppose you could shampoo the bristles with clarifying shampoo or liquid dish detergent like Dawn but I would not do it too much. The brushes are very well made and I really like mine. Using two at a time is kind of neat. You hold them in each hand and go to work on each side of the noggin from top to bottom or vice versa. I like to really brush up the hair and then brush it into place in a typical 'businessman' hair style with side part. Flat tops, crews, and pomps are right up its alley as well. Well, pomps are really better served with a comb but if you have a shorter version where you just brush the hair straight back with no part they will work. And you don't need two brushes either. One works fine. I just wanted to mitigate shipping from Jolly Old. Definitely worth a look.

Thanks Tood. Yeah I've noticed there's a significant price difference from store to store, about $100 less on eBay for the ebony, which look very sharp.

I'm also considering the pair. If I purchase the Mason Pearson mixed, I'll probably only purchase one but I'm leaning more towards two Kents. How thick is your hair? Would you say these would be okay on thick hair? I'm not planning to use for styling, just grooming, so no pomade.

I have the Kent MG3 military style brush with beech handle. I believe it was $45. I honestly look forward to using it every day. Kent boasts "high quality" and they really back it up, in my experience.

For anyone else interested in the stiffness, I received these from Vanessa Peters at Kent:

MN11 is stiffer than the MG3.
If you want a mix of nylon and bristle then you would need CSML, CSMM or
MSMS

Vanessa Peters
Export/Import Services Manager
Hi

The Hand Made are the stiffest bristle except MHS18S which has soft bristle.
On the machine made brushes the MS11 and OC2 are the stiffest and the rest
much the same except OS11 and MS23D which have soft.
I hope this helps you.
Kind regards

Vanessa Peters
Export/Import Services Manager

For anyone else interested in the stiffness

Been following this thread all morning.. I've been eyeballing these brushes for a little while but never thought the bristles would do much for my hair - it's pretty long. Do you think a little extra stiffness would help get through or is it even worth it? Combs are so much easier (and cheaper) to sample and lose if they don't work while a $40 brush that didn't work out would hurt quite a bit.

Been following this thread all morning.. I've been eyeballing these brushes for a little while but never thought the bristles would do much for my hair - it's pretty long. Do you think a little extra stiffness would help get through or is it even worth it? Combs are so much easier (and cheaper) to sample and lose if they don't work while a $40 brush that didn't work out would hurt quite a bit.

My wife uses a pure bristle brush with her long hair. She says it's the best brush she's ever owned.

Do they have a military model? Is it better than the MG3? I'm familiar with Plisson but mostly for badgers.

I don't believe so, sorry. I suppose I swayed in the conversation. High quality brush worth considering, is all. :)

Thanks Tood. Yeah I've noticed there's a significant price difference from store to store, about $100 less on eBay for the ebony, which look very sharp.

I'm also considering the pair. If I purchase the Mason Pearson mixed, I'll probably only purchase one but I'm leaning more towards tap Kents. How thick is your hair? Would you say these would be okay on thick hair? I'm not planning to use for styling, just grooming, so no pomade.

My hair is medium fine stranded but very well populated. So growth is dense. I have enough hair to keep it styled. I use the petrolatum based dressings sparingly because of the lighter colour. Matte finish or.water based for me. If you have Guido hair these things will go a long way toward taming it. For you other chaps I. cannot speak to longer hair since I haven't worn that in decades. The Kents are well made indeed. I will check my model number and post it.

Ok excuse my ignorance but I thought military brushes were for extremely short hair and usually used by people with nappy hair.

They would work for doing say a side part? I tried to search youtube but nothing really came up.

Well, the way I look at it, is with thick hair you have two choice, the full bristle or the mixed. Kent has varying stiffnesses of natural bristle, so that is why I've considered them. I imagine the reason people use nylon mixed with bristle for thick hair is to get through it, so if you find really stiff natural bristle, I think it would serve better. However, at a minimum of $130 a brush for their handmade, that's from Australia, I'm going to consider this thoroughly.

One you may want to look at she mentioned is the OC2 for longer hair, it has a handle.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I have two military brushes, one nylon and the other boar bristle. (Neither are Kent)
I have two because the nylon, while perfect for my thick, stiff beard hair is WAY too rough for the hair on my head.
The boar brush while perfect for arranging the mop on my head, doesn't even penetrate my beard.

Crew cuts and styling waves for black hair. They're made for grooming old hollywood styles to a high shine. I read someone use the word, buffing.

Ok excuse my ignorance but I thought military brushes were for extremely short hair and usually used by people with nappy hair.

They would work for doing say a side part? I tried to search youtube but nothing really came up.

Military style brushes are just brushes without a handle, which is more beneficial to shorter hair, yes. Nothing technical or unique about them other than that. I keep my hair in a high fade. I brush my hair only prior to applying pomade. Then I slick back and use a comb for parting and forming.

Last edited:
Like a previous poster, tailoredfamcam, I too picked up a couple bristle brushes at Sally's. A square shaped (military type) and a brush with a handle. Both about five bucks each...terrific brushes and you can't beat the price. The military I use to scrub the day's tonic into my scalp followed by a shaping of my hair with the handled brush (shaping..is that even a proper term??).
To get my part straight and even, I use a plain old comb.

Top Bottom