What's new

Mike's

You guys need to remember Mike’s was one of the early innovative artisan soap makers. Seems he’s pulled back a bit over the years with all the competition and being busy with life.

I think I’ve been buying from him since he was based out of NY. The main thing is most of his soaps don’t cause me to have a psoriasis outbreak (Stirling does) and the feel. It also lathers well in hard water compared to many others

Mike's soaps are absolutely phenomenal and the pricing competes with Stirling. Stirling offers more soap per tub, but Mike's is a harder soap that lasts roughly as long as a Stirling tub so it's unfortunate that Mike's doesn't share the value reputation that Stirling also rightfully holds.

Everybody should try Mike's and yes, the post shave in particular is among the best. Mike's is one of only 6 soap brands that I'll be rebuying when I get through my stash of some 40 soaps. Just an awesome classic that can go toe to toe with anything out there.

I think we can call it a classic now that Mike's winning formulation is 2-4 times older than the current versions of MWF, Tabac, Speick, La Toja, Proraso, Haslinger

while i only have a few sample sizes, all his soaps are excellent, imho...

mikes soaps.jpg

I love his Orange, Cedarwood, and Black Pepper. Reminds me of an orange tootsie pop
I’m stocked on that and my main favorite which is his Barbershop. I really liked the smell of the Coconut/vanilla one however that was one that caused my psoriasis to flare up. Guess certain scent extracts are the issue for me. In general the ease of lathering, slickness, and post shave feel of my skin are the big standouts using Mike’s. Old tallow Art of shaving lathers slightly better and is slick/protective however just lacks any post shave feel to it so it’s in there just to mix things up.

I gave Stirling, Shannon’s, Proraso, and Barrister and Mann fair shakes years ago and stuck with Mike’s (Stirling was the only one that gave me consistent skin issues). I debate trying the Noble Otter but my soap is a habit that’s hard to break.

So far I've been able to get these three and they're all great.
  • Lemongrass & Eucalyptus
  • Orange, Cedarwood, Black Pepper
  • Vetiver
I've been waiting, actually checking multiple times a day, for Coconut to be offered again. The only downside to Mike's is you have to get what you can when it's offered. Even though I hate paying shipping for a single soap, in the end that's the way it is and I decided it's worth it.

I’m stocked on that and my main favorite which is his Barbershop. I really liked the smell of the Coconut/vanilla one however that was one that caused my psoriasis to flare up. Guess certain scent extracts are the issue for me. In general the ease of lathering, slickness, and post shave feel of my skin are the big standouts using Mike’s. Old tallow Art of shaving lathers slightly better and is slick/protective however just lacks any post shave feel to it so it’s in there just to mix things up.

I gave Stirling, Shannon’s, Proraso, and Barrister and Mann fair shakes years ago and stuck with Mike’s (Stirling was the only one that gave me consistent skin issues). I debate trying the Noble Otter but my soap is a habit that’s hard to break.
Have you tried the newer bases from them?

So far I've been able to get these three and they're all great.
  • Lemongrass & Eucalyptus
  • Orange, Cedarwood, Black Pepper
  • Vetiver
I've been waiting, actually checking multiple times a day, for Coconut to be offered again. The only downside to Mike's is you have to get what you can when it's offered. Even though I hate paying shipping for a single soap, in the end that's the way it is and I decided it's worth it.
I use Mikes and feel the same way. I have just about all of them. I figure it's worth it and why skimp when you literally have a a sharp blade to your throat.

I use Mikes and feel the same way. I have just about all of them. I figure it's worth it and why skimp when you literally have a a sharp blade to your throat.
Which scents are you favorite? I am probably the only person on Earth who doesn't love the Orange, Cedarwood and black pepper... Though I certainly don't dislike it either.

I've tried all of the scents except Vetiver and Honeysuckle, they just never seemed to be in stock when I was buying soap.

My favorite is Hungarian Lavender but really enjoy them all.

The only scent I didn't enjoy was the Lemongrass & Eucalyptus, I'm not a big fan of the Lemongrass scent.

Top Bottom