What's new

Mike's Natural Soaps - an early review

Just ordered a bar of the orange/cedarwood/black pepper. It sounds like an interesting combination. Anxious to try this one.

Last edited:
I received my order today and I must say all of the scents are wonderful!!! Ill be trying them out over the next couple of days.

Got a pair of soaps in today's mail! I'll get one of them un wrapped and into service soon.

I've patronized three artisan vendors of soaps, and admire all three! More specifics to follow.

I love this forum!

Mike, the orange/cedarwood/black pepper is very nice. I find it to be a wonderfully scented soap that creates some great lather.

Well, I used the orange/cedarwood/black pepper soap today. Did a 3-pass (at least) shave w/my Cobra Classic/Feather Pro combo. The net takeaway? This is a fabulous freaking soap!

Rich, stable, creamy, protective lather. Scented lather. Lather that smelled great! The scent was strong enough that I could smell it, but not so strong as to be overpowering (then again, I like strongly-scented soaps so perhaps I'm not the most impartial reviewer here). I could really smell the orange/cedarwood combo. The black pepper was there too, but you kind of have to work to pick it out. It's much lighter -- more of a background texture than a definitive note. In any case, the scent blend just works. Fruity, woody, soapy, fresh & clean.

Between Mike's Natural Soaps, Mystic Water soaps & Queen Charlotte soaps, I'm starting to think that there's no reason whatsoever to buy a soap manufactured by a large corporation ever again. If you prefer melt-and-pour soaps, there's always QED & Mama Bear. All of these companies are small, artisanal shops, and I'd much rather support them than I would the large corporations.

Nice work, Mike! :thumbup1:

Thanks guys! I really appreciate your input. Thanks for your support!

Mike,

Any chance of a straight-up fragrance? My schnoz isn't into wanting to decipher scents or blends of scents in the morning. A plain Lemon/Verbena or Lime E.O. fragrance would be great. Looks like your ingredients are straight-forward (I like that) so how about a straight-forward fragrance :)

Mike,

Any chance of a straight-up fragrance? My schnoz isn't into wanting to decipher scents or blends of scents in the morning. A plain Lemon/Verbena or Lime E.O. fragrance would be great. Looks like your ingredients are straight-forward (I like that) so how about a straight-forward fragrance :)

Hi Brian,

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to discuss my future offerings here, so I'll shoot you a PM.

Mike,

I'm in on that idea, citrus is AWESOME!

Just wanted to add my impressions. As some background, I have settled into a consistent choice of razor (Gem 1912), blade (Pella), pre shave routine (Nancy Boy soap in the shower), and post shave routine (Thayer's Witch Hazel followed by Gentlemen's Refinery Balm). The only thing I experiment with is the soap/cream, so I think I have a good foundation from which to evaluate Mike's soap (and I also have good tap water here in Oregon). I have tried many of the most popular soaps - Tabac, MWF, Institute Karite, Provence Sante, Pre de Provence, Martin de Candre, Trumpers- and I would put Mike's soap above any of them. In fact, there are only two soaps that I have tried that I would compare with Mike's - D.R. Harris and Queen Charlotte. Obviously, I have a preference for tallow soaps - even the great (and it is great) MdC doesn't quite measure up for me due to its lack of tallow. Mike has done a great job, and I look forward to many more mornings being made better by his excellent soaps. Thanks, Mike!

Scott

Top Bottom