What's new

Micromatic Monday

Ever-Ready 1924 Shovelhead (or so I'm told)

I'm that reliable source you hear about so frequently.

[sings the old spiritual slightly off-key] "Nobody knows the Shovels I've seen..."

I'm glad you are enjoying yours. I am a big 1924 fan and those long neck versions are thin on the ground.

I find it quite impressive that you are using the old blade. I have a few similar blades but I've never considered cleaning and sharpening one for use.

Blame @LJBraaten , plus my lucky find of the 12 blade E-R lather catcher set with all blades present. We are discussing getting a thread going for old blade revivalists.

Razor: Ever-Ready Streamline Deluxe Set
Blade: Pal Carbon Steel Gem-type blade
Brush: Yaqi Panda in black & white tuxedo synthetic
Pre-Shave: Proraso White Pre-Shave Cream
Lather: Seaforth! Black Watch
Aftershave: Seaforth! Black Watch Aftershave Toner
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Nivea Post Shave Balm
View attachment 1795241

This shave takes the artistic vision award!

A One Blade in February MacGyver Micromatic Monday. I finally got back to my half blade project I mentioned last week. I rescued an old Feather that probably had a little more than 30 shaves. I aggressively sharpened and tested it in my Tech and it shaved so well I almost backed out of my plan.
I broke it in half, trimmed the sides a little, and discovered the best fit (and safest) was my Ever-Ready 24-14. The plastic / Gem spine shim held it in place. I was short of time, but I managed an easy 9.7, and I’ve never heard this razor sing as well!

IMG_3005.jpeg

IMG_3013.jpeg

Last edited:
A One Blade in February MacGyver Micromatic Monday Makeup Day. I missed last Monday, so I decided to make it up by shaving with the other half of the feather with this set up on my Kampfe Bros Star New Model 1902:
IMG_3010.jpeg
It did not work. I got through one pass on one cheek, and the whole assembly started sliding backwards. After the slick lather coated everything attempts to reload and keep everything in place were futile. I have another idea for that blade and this razor, but it will wait a week.
Meanwhile, I determined to complete the makeup day, so I grabbed my still loaded ER 24-14 that I used yesterday. I got a slightly better 9.8 today, which come to think of it might be a personal best for this razor. To Be Continued . . .

A One Blade in February MacGyver Micromatic Monday. I finally got back to my half blade project I mentioned last week. I rescued an old Feather that probably had a little more than 30 shaves. I aggressively sharpened and tested it in my Tech and it shaved so well I almost backed out of my plan.
I broke it in half, trimmed the sides a little, and discovered the best fit (and safest) was my Ever-Ready 24-14. The plastic / Gem spine shim held it in place. I was short of time, but I managed an easy 9.7, and I’ve never heard this razor sing as well!

View attachment 1795429

View attachment 1795431

MacGyver would be impressed.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
GEM SE Sunday, February 18th 2024

Razor : Gem Jr Parade 1912 with baton taper handle. Mfg 1943, tame mid range. Well built to last generations and still gives a wonderful shave in the right hands. I really enjoy this tapered handle and wish there where more similar handles.
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (4) very sharp, excellent longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable + safest blade to handle.
Soap : Yaqi Musketeer rapier, very nice unique scent that turns my crank + excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi " Cola" 22mm synthetic. Excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, nice splay scrubber + excellent lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Yaqi Musketeer rapier splash + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : Dial 9.jpg or CCS,DFS,BbS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Had a close comfortable shave this morning with my Gem Jr Parade 1912 with a coated Gem blade.
SOTD Febuaruy 18 2024.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ron R

ASRazor SOTD, MMMonday, February 19th 2024

Razor : Ever-Ready 1924(Shovel head) with a Ever-Ready Streamline stropping handle- Mfg 1933-43, mid range. Well made to last generations and blades are loaded from the rear of head. The razor was built when Gem blades had a thicker spline and so I use a shim to raise the back of spline (RIGS shim) to mimic the blades in the 1930's and the shave is a lot smoother I have noticed. Had a close comfortable shave this morning.
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE(5) very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable + safest blade to handle.
Soap : Speick stick, nice mild spicy scented hard soap that is triple milled+ has excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi "Viper" 24mm boar bristle hair brush. Excellent lather generator, soft split end bristle hair tips, nice splay scrubber + great lather painter. Nice handle and excellent boar brush for my shaving needs.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Post shave : Ach Brito Lavanda cologne splash with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : Dial 9.5.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Had a close comfortable shave this morning with my Ever-Ready 1924 shovel head razor with a coated Gem blade.
SOTD Febuaruy 19 2024.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Razor: Treet Baton Handle, black with red cap
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Waterford Crystal Badger brush
Pre-Shave: Proraso White Pre-Shave Cream
Lather: Seaforth! Black Watch
Aftershave: Seaforth! Black Watch Aftershave Toner
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Nivea Post Shave Balm
20240218_091639.jpg

Ron R

SE SOTD, Saturday, February 25th 2024

Razor : Ever-Ready 1914 (AKA=LLC) model with 1st generation blade stops- Mfg 1914-17, mid range. Excellent manufactured razor for that time ERA when stamping parts where the way companies mainly mfg. razors for the mass needs IMO. This razor still functions and looks good many generations later and should still last generations with some care. Had a close comfortable shave this morning.
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (6) very sharp, excellent longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable + safest razor blade to handle.
Soap : Ogallala Bayrum, sage and cedar- interesting Bayrum lather to whip up in a bowl I found, good scent with great lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi "Orbital ring" 24mm boar bristle hair brush. Excellent lather generator, soft split end bristle hairs, nice splay scrubber + great lather painter.
Post shave : Ogallala Bayrum & Sandalwood (some clove)splash + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : Dial 9.5.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Had a close comfortable shave this morning with my Ever-Ready 1914 razor with a coated Gem blade.
SOTD Febuaruy 25 2024.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom