What's new

Merkur Slant w/ Pol Silver

For whatever reason I lost some enthusiasm for shaving. I’ve shaved but haven’t been prepping for the shave like I used too, and I have cut corners in many areas. And I haven’t tried new combinations of razor/blade. But I ran across my supplynof Pol Silver blades and put one in my Merkur slant. (One of the three razors I now cycle between.)

All of the above is just the preface to simply say….

That was an enjoyable shave and it gave me a wonderfully close result. I’m glad that Ai have a large supply of the Pol Silver.

what is Ai? Thanks
“Ai” is what I get while I’m typing on my iPad in my recliner using my index finger. Very often in order to type an uppercase ‘I’ it is easiest to use the lefthand ‘shift’ button then come across to the right to go to the ‘I’. I guess I don’t lift my finger high enough it must brush the ‘A’ key, which turns off the cap-shift and when I hit the next letter the result is ’Ai’.

Sorry about that.

You didn't specify which Polsilver (one word) model.
The Super Iridium. As you can see it looks like two words to me.
IMG_3903.jpeg

Polsilver is a discontinued brand. The ones you have are the latest available that were manufactured when they moved them to Russia (2009-2016). After that some "company" made fakes with your design, that don't say Super Irdium on the blades. But don't worry, yours are genuine.

I tried them in other razors and thought they were very good but perhaps ‘too’ sharp? But regardless, this is an excellent match for me. I’m going to try them in my 1954 (birth year) Gillette Super Speed and my Furtur knock-off. i’ve got several other razors that I guess I should sell.

I tried them in other razors and thought they were very good but perhaps ‘too’ sharp? But regardless, this is an excellent match for me. I’m going to try them in my 1954 (birth year) Gillette Super Speed and my Furtur knock-off. i’ve got several other razors that I guess I should sell.
Super sharp. Ideal for mild razors.
Suggest you dial down the Futur imitation razor for them. ;)

Super sharp. Ideal for mild razors.
Suggest you dial down the Futur imitation razor for them. ;)
Likely the reason I thought they were so sharp was at that time I was using aggressive razors.

As for that Futur…the knockoff is so impressive that I’m considering buying the true Merkur. Maybe I need to start a thread about knockoff vs authentic and if the difference is noticeable.

Likely the reason I thought they were so sharp was at that time I was using aggressive razors.

As for that Futur…the knockoff is so impressive that I’m considering buying the true Merkur. Maybe I need to start a thread about knockoff vs authentic and if the difference is noticeable.
Have many Ming Shi 2000s and 4 Futurs. They don't shave exactly the same. The Futur is more aggressive. More clamping and wider gaps. The gap on the imitations @6 is less compared to Futur.

Have many Ming Shi 2000s and 4 Futurs. They don't shave exactly the same. The Futur is more aggressive. More clamping and wider gaps. The gap on the imitations @6 is less compared to Futur.
I think I have the Ming Shi. And I don’t think I would want anything even more aggressive.

The @5 gap on the Futur is like the @6 on the Ming Shi. Also you will have very slightly more exposure on the Futur. Unlike the Ming Shi the Futur can go to @6.5 (which equals 1.75mm gap :c1:)

Something else to bear in mind is the Ming Shi weighs 99 g. The Futur is 127 g.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
For whatever reason I lost some enthusiasm for shaving. I’ve shaved but haven’t been prepping for the shave like I used too, and I have cut corners in many areas. And I haven’t tried new combinations of razor/blade. But I ran across my supplynof Pol Silver blades and put one in my Merkur slant. (One of the three razors I now cycle between.)

That was an enjoyable shave and it gave me a wonderfully close result. I’m glad that Ai have a large supply of the Pol Silver.
Hopefully, finding your sweet Polsilver blade stash and seeing how nicely they shave in the Merkur will rekindle your passion once again!

I have noticed unlike my other razors, my Merkurs are very picky with certain blades. I put it down to the blade balance being less reliable with Merkurs. Glad you found a good combo. Gillette Wilkinsons always work wonders for me with my Merkurs too.

I found it just a tad too aggressive with the Polsilver SIs. In slightly milder razors they’re great.

Then I tried some permasharps. That’s a hard to beat combination.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu

Congratulations on finding a great combination. When you finally run out of PolSilver blades try Wizamet - virtually the same, possibly even smoother.

Top Bottom