What's new

Merkur Progress is the best shaver for me and I don’t know why

For my face and hair the Progress shaves so well. I have CNC machined razors with precise QC and I still think the Progress might shave better. It’s not saying my other razors shave bad, it’s just something about the Progress.

My example has just OK QC. I feel like one side might be off on blade alignment but I don’t notice a difference. With a blade, the adjustment setting doesn’t go to “1” but rather 1 1/2 - 2. At 3 1/2 it shaves beautifully. So smooth.

I don’t understand it. I waited a month for my Karve Bison and while I do like it, and it shaves great…I think I honestly prefer the Progress.

Anyone else out there feel the same way about the Progress, or any other razor? I truly feel like this might be THE razor for me.

Look how it bends the blade and what this does to the shaving angle. I guess this accounts for the efficiency of it. I prefer mine over other „best“ Adjustables like the Fatboy or the Slim.

F14397D4-B9D6-497D-BDA9-AC28B277DE10.jpeg

same here, performance wise (comfort and closeness of shave) it was my top razor (until the Variant OC came around).
I don't really care why, YMMV, it works and that's it. Other razors support the blade better, yet overall this design wins. I guess this is why it has been around unchanged for 50+ years.

You should check out the Variant OC, even better performance, and it is a step up in every other way (finish, blade alignment, etc)

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
As @Multum in parvo said, I think it all comes down to that beautiful bend it puts in the blade that slices through whiskers with ease.

The auditory feedback is also a great tool as you can also hear if you've cut all the whiskers. All in all I find this razor easier on the face, and easier on the blades without sacrificing efficiency.

I have one, but I don't use it as often as others in my lineup. I may find it a bit...boring.

But I mean that in a good way. I know exactly how the shave will go with my Progress. It'll be fine. No problem. Not because it is mild or an "autopilot" razor. I don't think it is necessarily either. It just does it right. They've been in production since 1955 for a reason.

My Timeless bronze OC, Futur, and Pearl Flexi OC are more like wild cards. I don't necessarily know how those are going to turn out. There is an element of danger!

There is something about the bulk and curvature of the head that I suspect also adds to the alchemy of why the Progress shaves so well. It is just so damned comfortable and predictable.

It is also bloody well built - I've had mine for nearly 20 years and it is pristine despite a LOT of use and never having been babied.

Something special indeed!
That blade curvature, the blade exposure and just the way it shaves overall all combine to make one of the most perfect razors ever designed.

After so many years, I still like the progress over the 80+ razors I've used.

The only razors to remain in my den are the blackbird, progress and karve CB.

I had the same experience, but with a Leaf Twig. I tried the Progress, two Hensons, A SuperSpeed and a Tech. And even though the clamping, the angle precision and manufacture of the Henson are superior, for my face and beard the Twig wins no contest. I blamed a lot of factors for my average shaves until I discovered the right tool

Ha!
I have said it before. Will say it again. I have used razors that give me a shave on the level of the Progress, but none that gives a better shave so far. The only canidadate that might turn better is my L3+ Superslant. But I need more shaves with it. And I seriously doubt it will work well with mild blades on my whiskers. Which the Progress does brilliantly.

I did not get along with my Progress when I first got it around 7 years ago. I just could not get a good shave with it. That seems to have changed in the last couple years and would say it is probably my second or third favorite razor now. Maybe my technique is better now? Nothing beats the Rockwell 6s for me.

Long time Progress user here. Was my daily for at least three years.

The Progress curved cap is common to most non-slant Merkur's including the 34C.

For my face and hair the Progress shaves so well. I have CNC machined razors with precise QC and I still think the Progress might shave better. It’s not saying my other razors shave bad, it’s just something about the Progress.

My example has just OK QC. I feel like one side might be off on blade alignment but I don’t notice a difference. With a blade, the adjustment setting doesn’t go to “1” but rather 1 1/2 - 2. At 3 1/2 it shaves beautifully. So smooth.

I don’t understand it. I waited a month for my Karve Bison and while I do like it, and it shaves great…I think I honestly prefer the Progress.

Anyone else out there feel the same way about the Progress, or any other razor? I truly feel like this might be THE razor for me.

If you found your Grail Razor be happy, sound like a good time to put the SECOND STRING Team of Razor on E-Bay, or BST Sub
Forum.:thumbup:

Top Bottom