What's new

Merkur Futur - A Most Unlikely Razor

Strictly speaking, merkur futur is still a "two-piece razor", we just need to pop the cap of the futur to install the blade; except that we can break down all the parts for cleaning.
Like the gillette fatboy would still be classified as a "One Piece Razor" (TTO) and no one would call it a "14 Piece Razor" based on the number of parts.
In fact the futur shaves really well, but the huge cap really interferes with the run under the nose; I also found that the higher the digital scale on this design, the more unstable the spring.

And the US$76 for the chrome plated zamak head is really not worth it, which is enough for me to get a better all-copper adjustable razor or a three-piece stainless steel razor.
The chrome finish is appearance lied, just to protect the perishable interior, doesn't convince me.

I have given my futur to a friend and it lost my love.
If one does a periodic tear down, cleaning, lubrication of the interior of this razor, the lifespan will likely be extended. If I were to use my Futur daily, I would probably do a complete maintenance every month or so. Interval adjusted based on visual inspection of the condition of the razor's interior. The same goes for the clone razor, which I believe is made of the same materials, but with the weaker spring, is much easier to disassemble for maintenance. Videos are on line for the maintenance procedure, and interesting to watch.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
If one does a periodic tear down, cleaning, lubrication of the interior of this razor, the lifespan will likely be extended. If I were to use my Futur daily, I would probably do a complete maintenance every month or so. Interval adjusted based on visual inspection of the condition of the razor's interior. The same goes for the clone razor, which I believe is made of the same materials, but with the weaker spring, is much easier to disassemble for maintenance. Videos are on line for the maintenance procedure, and interesting to watch.
I have always taken great care of my razors and maintained them diligently, but as for the lifespan of zamak, we can only do our best, even if the effect is related to luck.

A few months ago in a B&B, a gentleman said that he maintained his futur very carefully and frequently, and was always confident in the condition of his razor.
After several years of use, the unfortunate thing still happened. Some key parts of the futur were obviously rotted, including the place where the spring was continuously pressurized. As a result, the accuracy of the razor gradually failed.

May all razors be healthy forever, and may all men have a happy shave.

I have always taken great care of my razors and maintained them diligently, but as for the lifespan of zamak, we can only do our best, even if the effect is related to luck.

A few months ago in a B&B, a gentleman said that he maintained his futur very carefully and frequently, and was always confident in the condition of his razor.
After several years of use, the unfortunate thing still happened. Some key parts of the futur were obviously rotted, including the place where the spring was continuously pressurized. As a result, the accuracy of the razor gradually failed.

May all razors be healthy forever, and may all men have a happy shave.
That is a sad story indeed! We can only do our best with these razors, and then hope for the best. Putting too much effort into preserving a razor, might as well just have a spare, ready to do. Nothing lasts forever I guess. It is fun though taking a Futur completely apart and maintaining. At least indications of impending failure might be seen ahead of time.

Top Bottom