What's new

Member Interview - Ackvil

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I would like to share an interview that I had with Jim today (a.k.a. Ackvil). Jim is doing fantastic work helping new wet shavers as a Steward! I am very happy that I know him better now! A complete list of interviews with either vendors or members are available here: http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Interviews

As always, if you have more questions for Jim, please ask in this thread. :thumbup1:

Who are you? Where are you located?
My name is James J. Pirretti – but most people call me Jim. I am 69 years old but, according to my wife, don’t act my age. I live in St. Petersburg, Florida and was born in New York City. I spent my childhood in the Borough of Queens until my father decided to move “overseas” across the Hudson River to New Jersey when I was a teenager. I was a product of the New York City school system but despite that managed to get into college (N.Y.U.) and went on to Law School, also N.Y.U.

I spent most of my years in New Jersey, living in Bergen and Morris County. Upon graduation from law school I was admitted to the New Jersey Bar but spent most of my career as an employment-labor lawyer for two major retail companies. The first company had its headquarters in Manhattan and I spent more than 30 years there. My job required me to travel extensively – often to small towns and cities across the U.S., and to Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands. My second position required me to move to Connecticut and I spent about five years there. Unfortunately, bankruptcy of that company resulted in a consultant’s position for me and then early retirement. When I retired I moved to Palm Beach County, Florida.
Since retirement I now spend my time doing stock and option trading, fishing, some golf, travelling with my wife, shooting, dining out, reading, and an awful lot of time on B&B – all of the things I had little time for when I was working!

How do you take your coffee?
I like Starbucks French Roast coffee which I grind at home. I take it with some Splenda and half and half. I also like espresso – being of Italian background – and like that without any sugar. On occasion I may add a drop or two of anisette to the espresso.

What happened that made you seek a better shave and how did you find B&B?
I started shaving at age 14. My first razor was a DE Gillette, probably a Tech. When I was a child I watched my father shave with a Gillette DE razor. My grandfather on my mother’s side, however, was a straight razor man and shaved flawlessly. He mixed his own lather from a soap chips and an old brush. Needless to say I was fascinated watching them shave and couldn’t wait to start. At first, I used canned goo and didn’t start wet shaving until I was in my 20s. Previously, I tried every conceivable razor Gillette and Schick came up with. In my 20s I went through a period where I wanted to return to the simpler ways of life and tried using a straight with wet shaving. I used Noxzema shaving cream and another product called King’s ____ which came in a black and gold tube, and whose name I don’t recall. Both worked fine and I used to put the tube of cream in hot water for a warm lather shave. I have no idea the name of the brush I used but I bought ist from a magazine ad – the same ad that advertised the straight. I knew nothing about straights and the razor I bought obviously was not shave ready. The result was terrible and I gave up after a month. I went back to carts but continued to shave using creams and a brush. Eventually I purchased a “good” badger brush at a going out of business sale at Hoffritz and I still use this brush today after more than 20 years of use.

I have always had a heavy, wiry beard with sensitive skin, particularly around my neck. I was not happy with the shaves I was getting with whatever cart razor Gillette was selling. I was in the process of moving and came across two old razors I had not used in years: a Slim Adjustable and Fat Boy. I took them out, cleaned them up, and bought some razor blades from a grocery store. The shaves were just OK but I had a lot of irritation. My technique was to lather up and do one WTG pass and one ATG pass. I dialed up to a high number on the adjustable because that was the “manly” thing to do and NO PRESSURE and BLADE ANGLE were subjects I knew nothing about. I went on the Internet and found some articles on shaving. Unfortunately, I did not find B&B at that time. Had I done so I would have avoided a lot of mistakes. However, I learned about blade angle, pressure, prep, and all those things that result in a good shave.

I finally found B&B about a year ago. I had been using a shaving cream from Caswell-Massey. My oldest son gave me a gift package from T&H that contained some shaving creams and pre-shave oil. I did a search on where I could buy these products and came across B&B. I started reading everything on B&B: every forum, the Reviews, and Wikis. I found that I was spending an incredible amount of time on the site and learned so much. And thus began my interest in shaving. Since finding B&B I realized that there were other individuals who had a strong interest in shaving as well as the other topics covered in B&B.

What was it that held your interest?
B&B is an incredible site that contains information about just about every topic that interests me. Here you can find information about shaving, shaving products, coffee, tea, tobacco products, food, clothing, accessories, wines and liquors, photography, the outdoors - just about everything. If you have a question all you have to do is ask and you will get a prompt, courteous, and responsive answer.

Although I had been DE shaving for a while I learned many new things and products. For the first time I used a four pass shave and learned about beard reduction. I learned how to make a good lather – and my all time favorite: uberlather. Until B&B I only used creams but have branched out to soaps, too. I learned for the first time that there were sample packs both for blades and creams and that online vendors sold great shaving products that I could not find locally.

Shave creams and soaps? What did you find that worked well from those initial trials?
Like many individuals who have a passion for shaving, I bought many soaps and creams. The one thing that surprised me was that almost all of the products I have purchased worked well. Perhaps the reason for that is that before making a purchase I read the reviews on this site as well as the posts on a particular product.

The first cream I purchased since joining B&B was Proraso and it worked great. My first soap was Mama Bear’s unscented. Within a few weeks I had purchased MWF and Cella soaps and Godrej Deluxe, Palmolive Lemon Lime, and Gillette Menthol creams. All of them worked for me.

Determination is key when shaving. How did you push through the month of subpar shaves? Did you know there was light at the end of the tunnel?
On my return to DE shaving my first shaves were OK – but I suffered from neck irritation. However, this was no different from when I used carts or an electric razor. My wife says I am stubborn – I think of myself as determined. I knew that with practice and patience I would get it down right. Gradually, I learned how to minimize irritation and what steps to take after I shave. I was fortunate enough to get BBS shaves fairly quickly and that, of course, was encouraging.

If you were stranded on a desert island and could only choose:
Three razors: My Mergress either XL or regular, a 1912 GEM, and Fat Boy. I would call it cruel and unusual punishment, however, to be limited to three razors.
Two brushes: Simpson Duke 3 because it feels so good and my T&H Silvertip Badger. I would try to sneak my Hoffritz badger brush along because it has been a part of me for so many years.
Three soaps: Martin de Candre, Cella, and MWF. All are great.
Two creams: Proraso and T&H Ultimate Comfort. I would have to take along a bottle of glycerin so I can make uberlather, however. I tend to be less picky with creams finding that almost all of them work.
Three colognes: Versace Eau de Toilette, Burberry for Men, GFT Sandalwood.
Three aftershaves: Thayers Rose Petal WH, Neutrogena Triple Defense ASB, Nivea for Sensitive Skin. Thayers WH is something I found on B&B and for me it has proven to be indispensible.

What is your blade preference and what is your current rotation regime?
For my DE I like the Personna Medical or Lab Grade blades best. I also like the Personna Reds, the Bolzano Superinox Inossidabile, and the Gillette Russian Yellows. Recently I branched out to include SE razors and for them the GEM blades available at Walgreens work for me. I just place an order for PTFF coated SE blades and hope they work as well as the Medical or Lab Grade DE blades. Currently I use the Medical or Lab Grades when I am home and the Personna Reds when I travel (they come in a nice dispenser).

I have the following DE razors that I use in my rotation: Mergress, Mergress XL, Slim adjustable, and FB. I have the following SEs that I use in my rotation (all GEM brand): G Bar, Featherweight, 1912, and Micromatic Clog Pruf. I recently acquired an Everready 1914 and have shaved with it three times so far. I select one razor in my stack and use it until the blade is dull and then go on to the next razor. I like to alternate between DE and SE razors.

I start out with one soap and use it for the first shave. I then combine that soap with a cream and glycerin to make uberlather. I go through all of my creams before going to the next soap and start again!
The soaps I am currently using in my rotation are: Martin de Candre, Cella, MWF, MB’s unscented, the Shave Den’s Iced Sub Zero, and AOS Sandalwood. The creams are: T&H Ultimate Comfort, Godrej’s Deluxe and Menthol, TOBS almond, Palmolive Lime, Gillette, AK 1869, and Proraso. When I travel I use shave sticks: Speick, LaToja, and Valobra.

I am also a fan of pre-shave oil and use either T&H or my recipe almost every day.

I have five brushes plus a travel brush. I pick one of the five brushes when I am home and use it for a complete week before moving on.

Are you currently reading a book?
Often I will find an author I like and then read every book he has written in the order he has written them. I recently completed reading The Complete Works of Sherlock Holmes and I currently am reading all of Harlan Coben’s books. I have completed his Myron Bolitar series and have just started reading his earlier books. I enjoyed the Bolitar series because it takes place in Bergen County NJ, where I spent so many years. Right now I am reading Long Lost.

Favorite movie?
I have always enjoyed Alfred Hitchcock’s movies, particularly Rear Window. Each tenant of the building has a story to tell and the final minutes of the film are great.

Motto to live by?
Two sayings by Mark Twain summarize my philosophy:
1. Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
2. Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry

Best advice gotten by a member at B&B?
Robert (BladeRunner001) suggested uberlather: that wonderful combination of soap, cream, and glycerin. Since trying uberlather every lather I have made has been excellent.

If you could give one piece of advice to someone new at this, what would it be?
There is a wealth of information on B&B – all you have to do is to search for it, read it, and put it into practice. It takes time, practice, and patience to put everything together. B&B is a forum that is meant for communication so if you have any questions, advice, opinions, or encounters jump in and participate. The more you participate the more you will get out of it.

Last edited:
And yet another great interview!
Thanks to Ackvil and Luc for putting this together; a very nice read.

(And good to notice that I was not the only one struggling with the 'only two brushes on a deserted island' question :tongue_sm).

I need to amend my interview to add one comment on best advice I have gotten from a B&B member. I need to add my friend Marco's excellent post on how to lather soft Italian soaps. A must read for all fans of those great Italian products.

There used to be a wonderful high school band contest in St. Petersburg called the Festival of States. I believe they still have the festival, minus the band contest. You live in a nice area, and thank you for the interview gentlemen.

Jeff

Holmes & Hitchcock?

I'm just going through the Holmes book, and also laying hands on all the DVDs I can find. Even bought an e-reader to get through The Hound of the Baskervilles.

Oh! Remind me to send you some--ahem--fresh roasted coffee. :wink:

Jim and Luc, thank you for the interview. The two of you, and now Marco, have done a lot to make shaving such a rewarding and satisfying passtime. I am grateful for your many contributions. I've learned a lot from you.

Codfish

Thank you Luc and Jim for another great B+B interview. It is terrific to learn more about the people who help to make this such a fantastic place!

Top Bottom