What's new

Meathead: The Science of Great Barbecue and Grilling

Ribs for this week-end. They were a bit dry but that's my fault. I wrapped too late as I was running around to do so work around the house. I will do this again on Friday. So here's the picture @djh and @fordfather, with my new meat hook!

Shame about the "bit dry". :thumbup1:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Ribs for this week-end. They were a bit dry but that's my fault. I wrapped too late as I was running around to do so work around the house. I will do this again on Friday. So here's the picture @djh and @fordfather, with my new meat hook!

Sauce helps.

...but I see nothing wrong. Nice pig sticker.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I'm starting to have a few older tomatoes so I will need to try another BBQ sauce from the book. Ribs are on the menu already. Maybe a pork shoulder too...

Luc

Staff member
Right, so I'm lined up for more ribs during the week-end and a piece of brisket if I can find it... I did a full inside clean-up of the Weber yesterday, I removed all the dried up carbon that was stuck in the lid and at the bottom of the Q. Looks better now. I need to empty it before I use it again and it will be like new!

Luc

Staff member
I made 2 things during the week-end.

1st are Ribs. I smoked those for 6hrs with mesquite. Memphis dust rub, wrapped after 2 hours. Those were fantastic. I wouldn't change much. Expect, maybe, add a bit of spicy to the sauce. I used a Kansas City BBQ sauce recipe. I went easy on the spice to start with.
$IMG_2302.jpg

Next, I was able to secure a Brisket at my local butcher. Well, it's a new place that I'm trying. They knew about the cut, the what, how it is, what to get, etc. My local grocery store don't stock the brisket cut. That butcher does. I'm saying they knew as here, it's not a common cut. I believe that it's mainly used to make minced meat instead of being sold as a brisket
$IMG_2304.jpg

I did a trim and then applied what Meathead calls the "big bad beef rub". I made snake in the Webere, 250F for 10hrs. The meat was awesome. However, I think it would need an extra 1 or 2 hours. It was very juicy. I have leftovers for the week
$IMG_2307.jpg
$IMG_2309.jpg

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Finding a good butcher. This is a challenge in the part of Canada I live in. For me it has taken more than a bit of an effort but I now know about 4 in my area . . . all a bit further out than I'd like but that's just the way it is. I have a very large supermarket close to me that employs a few actual real butchers rather than "meat cutters" they get huge smiles on their faces as I as for a brisket or other cuts that are seldom if ever in the display case. Soup bones . . . nobody here wants them but me. Sad to see fantastic meat dummed down to thin fast fry steaks and lean ground beef.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Finding a good butcher. This is a challenge in the part of Canada I live in. For me it has taken more than a bit of an effort but I now know about 4 in my area . . . all a bit further out than I'd like but that's just the way it is. I have a very large supermarket close to me that employs a few actual real butchers rather than "meat cutters" they get huge smiles on their faces as I as for a brisket or other cuts that are seldom if ever in the display case. Soup bones . . . nobody here wants them but me. Sad to see fantastic meat dummed down to thin fast fry steaks and lean ground beef.

That's tough (no pun intended). A good butcher is hard to find anywhere, even here in Texas. I too must travel a bit for the better guys. My home town has a great butcher, but it's a 2-1/2 hour drive.

...ah, road trip.

Luc

Staff member
No recipes this week-end as I reverted back to Salt-Pepper-Paprika. I thought about the "Simon & Garfunkel Spice Blend & Baste" an hour after I put Charley the chicken in the Weber... I was missing 1-2 herbs anyways (still am) so I will do that one next week-end.

Since the idea of lump vs briquettes is divided quite a bit, I found that briquettes are superior for long smoke as you are burning the same quantity at the same pace. For quicker cooks, lump seems to produce a better result. The quantity of ash is huge for Briquettes. I get a more stable temperature with briquettes than coal. Reading Franklin's book, I see that he's working the coals on the side and add them to the chamber as he needs them.

In the end, still works well either way but I am now buying lump and briquettes.

I would say that I recommend this book for sure. It's a different information from a different point of view.

Since the idea of lump vs briquettes is divided quite a bit, I found that briquettes are superior for long smoke as you are burning the same quantity at the same pace. For quicker cooks, lump seems to produce a better result. The quantity of ash is huge for Briquettes. I get a more stable temperature with briquettes than coal. Reading Franklin's book, I see that he's working the coals on the side and add them to the chamber as he needs them.

In the end, still works well either way but I am now buying lump and briquettes.

I would agree with all of those thoughts in bold ... I love lump, but definitely for the Weber for short cooks and not for the smoker. For long smokes, the uniformity of briquettes is pretty important. But man ... getting that lump going and just screaming hot is a hell of a way to cook steaks and burgers and the like.

That ash from briquettes though is a concern, no question.

Luc

Staff member
So, last week-end, Simon and Garfunkel rub on 2 chicken for a birthday party. Worked well but the meat looked red a bit and some were afraid that it wasn't cooked. They were looking at the smoke ring. Yesterday, I used more of that rub on chicken tights and it was great. Good herby taste. I would say it would also be good on fish.

Overall, it's a good book. I would say that I really like it for the BBQ sauces and rubs mainly. I am more of a fan of lump charcoal but briquettes are doing the trick for a long smoke. I'm not ready to leave the lump charcoal yet. I'm almost out of mesquite chunks, so I may need to get some more soonish!

Top Bottom