What's new

Martin de Candre - The best soap ever?

For me it's indeed the best performance-wise vegan - i.e. non-tallow - soap.

Scent is subjective, but it's the best fougère I have tried over the years.

It's expensive, but even though I insist on overloading my Chubby 3, it seems to last forever.

Since it is one of the priciest soaps available, it can only be considered for the best category when the "money is no object" disclaimer is added. Just like I have no interest in blowing my nose into a hand woven by Chilean Monks, Vicuna wool disposable facial tissue, I also have no interest in a $75 soap that is only going to eventually be flushed down the drain.

+1. To me this is all about performance for the $.

This is very much a "geometric curve." You have some terrific soaps on your list that are not that expensive (Haslinger's) and others that are very pricy. The question is, "Does a soap that is 10x more expensive produce 10x the performance of one of the excellent competitors at a lower price?" This is totally YMMV.

+1

For me it's indeed the best performance-wise vegan - i.e. non-tallow - soap.

Scent is subjective, but it's the best fougère I have tried over the years.

It's expensive, but even though I insist on overloading my Chubby 3, it seems to last forever.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
The current price in dollars is $44 and change for 200 grams of the scented - I just checked. That price was off the French version of the site and probably includes 20% VAT which we would probably not pay (haven't ordered lately). Shipping for one jar is pricey, but so is everything else that comes by expedited international shipping. But I don't consider $22 for 100 grams to be unreasonably priced for a soap of this quality.

Cheers, Steve

I've been using the no perfume one for over a year, Yes along with other soaps and cream but this is the one I use the most.
Now my 200g jar is only half empty. I know I can make it for another year.

By far the best soap I've been using.
You just can't miss building a lather, minimal product of will provide a quantity of dense lather, which will not dry even it you take your time.
Another point, it stops the small blood spots to even light cuts very effectively.
After the shave, I apply another layer of lather on those areas, I let it while I clean the material (5 min), rinse it and magic, no blood anymore.

The only down side would be the poor availability in the perfume choice. Standard, Fougere and no perfume and that's it.

Now, it seems the price is always. Topic of discussion but please note this is artisanal work, hand made, no factory or big brand behind, this is a small soap maker is a small French town, they don't produce as much as the Big Brands, and allow the soap to dry naturally, without using chemicals, which takes several months.

Those people just found the magic recipe.

I recently bought the Fougere one as well but used it only once, smells nice, still very efficient.
Only reason I use other brands now is curiosity, but if want the perfect lather I go MDC.

I bought a 200g jar while in Paris last month. After 3 weeks of use, it looks unused, so it'll last a long time. It performs very well, probably worth the hype, although I think La Toja and DR Harris are just as good. So is Haslinger Schmafmilch. It's better than MWF, TOBs, Stirling, Stroppe Shop, Mamma Bear, QCS or Proraso. I think Panna Crema is still the best for performance and face feel. It doesn't last very long, though. MdC will last forever. One note is that the MdC jar is heavy, and hard. It's also slick when wet. I dropped it on the edge of my fake marble counter, and it took a chip out of the edge, then hit the tile floor and didn't crack the jar a bit. Seeing how long it lasts, the smaller jar is probably enough, and it might not chip your counter.

Thanks for the comparison!!

From your description, MdC may be worth trying, but I should not expect that it will displace Haslinger's as #1 in my den. :thumbup:

I have well over 40 soaps in my rotation and if I had to give all of them up save one, I would keep the MdC Fougere as my one an only soap. I would be very content if I had to shave the rest of my life using the MdC soaps. I love the scent and the simplicity of its ingredients. I face lather most of the time and a 10-15 seconds load gives me a luxurious and slick lather that is superb for both safety razors and my straights. Its just the best.

I have well over 40 soaps in my rotation and if I had to give all of them up save one, I would keep the MdC Fougere as my one an only soap. I would be very content if I had to shave the rest of my life using the MdC soaps. I love the scent and the simplicity of its ingredients. I face lather most of the time and a 10-15 seconds load gives me a luxurious and slick lather that is superb for both safety razors and my straights. Its just the best.

I agree with Doodi1. I have many different soaps. I truly enjoy the variety and different characteristics of other soaps, some of which I think are in fact very good performers. I've been trying to 3017 MdC for a while and it looks like I will get about 250-275 4 pass shaves with 25 second loading time. I get so tired of hearing how this is such an expensive soap. Yes the investment is high (my cost with delivery was $57) but at this many shaves, it is actually in the same ballpark as just about everything else I use. Some lower cost soaps such as Razorock MF have been much higher per shave where I get 40-45 shaves for $10 plus shipping. All that said, while I love all the different scents and variety we are blessed to have access to, if I could choose just one, it would be MdC Fougere. The sad thing is, I have purchased so many soaps that I am only semi pleased with and will probably not finish (what's the cost of those decisions?). I guess I can sell some of them off but I only wish I would have been patient and only spent my money on the stuff I enjoy the most such as MdC Fougere.

Last edited:

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Tell me about the slick jars, I broke one. Now there's a strip of fabric based gaffer's tape around the current jar. Problem solved.

cheers, Steve

I'm a few weeks away from going to Paris for my friend's wedding and I'm getting a jar while I'm there! Made me want to revisit this thread. I've been wetshaving for 8 months now and I'm glad I waited this long to try MDC. It's nice to have something to look forward to!

I'm a few weeks away from going to Paris for my friend's wedding and I'm getting a jar while I'm there! Made me want to revisit this thread. I've been wetshaving for 8 months now and I'm glad I waited this long to try MDC. It's nice to have something to look forward to!

You will be within a couple hours of MdC's home while you are there... Rent a car and take the drive. It is a beautiful place and lots of cool stuff to see on the way as well! It is definitely worth it. We go to France once a year...

$image.jpg

Used MDC for the first time today and it was great. Scent and performance

MDC is on my radar. Thank God Old Town Shaving sells it in samples. Looking to buy some samples of all varieties of MDC so I can find out how awesome this stuff is. From the write ups on it, it's supposedly awesome but want to try a sample or two before dropping that kind of cash. Definitely will open up the wallet if the samples are as advertised and reviewed.

Ok, you probably all saw this video before but just in case.
This is why the cost of the MDC should be considered... Shall you lose this habit to "load it as if you hated it" nonsense.
With the first brush, 8 to 10 turns of soap only, you can appreciate the low pressure he puts.
With the second brush which is bigger, maybe 15 to 18 turns, again no pressure.

I'm sure he's not using more than 1g, maybe 2 (=0.035oz to 0,07 oz) of soap to build enough lather for 5 passes at least.
Which makes for the 200g jar (7,05oz) will allow at least 100 shaves, probably 150.
So shall you use this soap only with 3 shaves per week year that could last a year.

That's above all the greatness of this soap, were some others will required I min working in the hard soap to get the same amount of lather.

Last edited by a moderator:
MDC is on my radar. Thank God Old Town Shaving sells it in samples. Looking to buy some samples of all varieties of MDC so I can find out how awesome this stuff is. From the write ups on it, it's supposedly awesome but want to try a sample or two before dropping that kind of cash. Definitely will open up the wallet if the samples are as advertised and reviewed.
You can always BST a jar of MDC if it doesn't work for you. They don't sit around for long in BST.

You also have to be careful with reviews on subjective stuff like soap. It's not just whether or not the reviewer gave the soap a positive review but whether or not you're specifically looking for the same things from a soap as the reviewer and other factors like water hardness.

A lot of topics here are very subjective and it's not just a matter of the item itself but how well the item suits the individual. There are a lot of soaps that get excellent reviews yet still have many that don't find them worthwhile. Everyone's needs, wants, situation, preferences, priorities etc are not all identical. MDC's no different than any other soap in this regard.

Last edited:
Ok, you probably all saw this video before but just in case.
This is why the cost of the MDC should be considered... Shall you lose this habit to "load it as if you hated it" nonsense.
With the first brush, 8 to 10 turns of soap only, you can appreciate the low pressure he puts.
With the second brush which is bigger, maybe 15 to 18 turns, again no pressure.

I'm sure he's not using more than 1g, maybe 2 (=0.035oz to 0,07 oz) of soap to build enough lather for 5 passes at least.
Which makes for the 200g jar (7,05oz) will allow at least 100 shaves, probably 150.
So shall you use this soap only with 3 shaves per week year that could last a year.

That's above all the greatness of this soap, were some others will required I min working in the hard soap to get the same amount of lather.

That video is very impressive! But... will it do that in hard water?

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom