What's new

Maine, the drinkingest state in the U.S.A.

I did my part

Actually, if you click through the categories at the top it has some interesting data.

I do believe that this is absolutely correct!. Here's a bit of trivia I recall from the time I spend in the state of Maine.

I was in the military at a base near Limestone, Maine. This base was located 5 minutes from the Canadian border. I'll let you look up a map where Limestone is located. You're were many miles from everything. There were quite a few drinking parties in the dorms while I was there. I still recall during the orientation the NCO giving the briefing told us that our base was the #1 base in all the CONUS bases for alcohol abuse. With so many new young airmen it wasn't hard to see how they might seek help to cope with the isolation with a beer or two.

Sad but true.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
49 other states just said "oh yeah, we'll see about that" and cracked open a cold one.

Never even heard of "Blue Moon".

:blink:

Here's a story only people from Maine (or who have visited) will get. My Brother in law and his wife were visiting from the UK and went to the supermarket for something. When they came back they asked why there was a whole aisle dedicated to Allen's Coffee Brandy! The most popular mixed drink in Maine is "coffee brandy and milk" (you may know it as a Sombrero). My ex-girl friend (a bartender) called it "fat *** in a glass".

Hmmm... Considering the top 4 states all have some of the lowest populations in the entire country I'm assuming this "study" was done on a percentage or per capita based basis. Seriously, Wyoming? Delaware? ALASKA???? LOL, ***.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Hmmm... Seriously ... ALASKA???? LOL, ***.

There are strange things done 'neath the midnight sun, by the men who moil for gold. Them winters, on the other hand, are long, dark, cold and lonely. Kind of not much else to do, really.

What they don't tell you is that the Mainers buy all their booze in New Hampshire (what the locals don't drink up themselves that is) :001_smile

proxy.php

proxy.php

My hometown in Maine was a 3x3 mile grid with 5 bars and about 2000 inhabitants. Nearest movie theater, mall, shopping center, was an hour away. That town may gotten to #1 all by itself.

Up there some towns don't even get names...just locations on the grid like T2R9...

There are strange things done 'neath the midnight sun, by the men who moil for gold. Them winters, on the other hand, are long, dark, cold and lonely. Kind of not much else to do, really.

+1. I commuted to Alaska for a couple of trials that I had. I spent at least 100 days there over the course of two years. I was impressed by how much the locals drank!

Top Bottom