What's new

magnification for a newbie?

would you guys suggest that a magnifyer of some sort is really helpful to a new honer? wondering if it will show me my mistakes, or if they arent worth it. and if you think they are , has anybody used the cheapies on amazon? are they complete garbage or will they work decent. also i was wondering if anybody has ever posted any pictures (like a series through grit progressions) of what they should look like ? sorry that was alot there.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I’ve never liked the cheapies from amazon but a lot of guys do. My favorite is the Belomo 10x which I use almost daily. @Alum of Potash gifted me a small loupe that I also really enjoy using but I’m not sure if they’re commercially available.

The only loupes I use with straight razors are those marked as achromatic triplets (or color-corrected, with three lens elements sandwiched as one), the standard being a Bausch & Lomb Hastings triplet. In my opinion, the best genuine magnification is ~10x, which is what David uses with his Belomo achromat, and what I sent him as well, the latter being from an old vintage supply that was being offered as a special promotion. What's nice about the ~10x magnification is that it allows one to view the bevel as reflected from a light source (in my case, a small halogen desk lamp) as to scratch patterns and the edge in profile as to absence of micro-chipping. Anything higher than 10x makes it hard to view the bevel. Again in my opinion, micro-chipping above ~10x is not something I need to worry about as the skin will tell me the rest when shaving.

Last edited:
If that last one is well made it should be excellent. By the description it is corrected for both achromatic and aplanatic distortion. That means there shouldn't be any blurry color-tinged areas near edges and there won't be any geometric distortions across the viewing field. The former requires a triplet lens, the latter an aspherical lens. If they've done it as well as the accomplished makers for that price they deserve congratulations.

wow, i’ve not liked my double loupe so much. i’m surprised to see the recs.

i use a LED Lighted Pocket Microscope like this

Carson MicroMax 60x-100x LED Lighted Zoom Pocket Microscope For Field Inspection of Science, Fibers, Plants, Cells, Skin, Currency, Wildlife and More (MM-100) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009MFTSW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_5-dHCb4QF7F8Z

I have one of these and they are CRAP in my opinion. Difficult to use, an inverted image, poor quality image etc.
Quality over quantity of image is the way to go as far as loupes go.
I have a decent quality microscope that is there for ultimate inspection.

lol. i guess i am just used to the inverted image and have never had a chance to look through a quality optics. my loupe is hard to focus for me once both lenses are engaged. i’ll have the image for a second and then any movement and im out of focus.

but the handheld scope has been okay for almost a decade. chews through 2aaas faster than i would like if i’m honing a bunch.

Might be time for a new loupe:)
They are immensely handy but in all honesty, I use the microscope when honing. The loupe is for quick checks and to spot problems when they arise. If needed the scope will set things straight.

I’ve never liked the cheapies from amazon but a lot of guys do. My favorite is the Belomo 10x which I use almost daily. @Alum of Potash gifted me a small loupe that I also really enjoy using but I’m not sure if they’re commercially available.
This! I am also a newbie to honing and have been amazed by what the Belomo 10X is able to show me

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I have an ordinary microscope with a bunch of different objectives and a USB eyepiece cam that is not so handy for honing but takes very nice pics for sharing and comparing. I have a clip-on microscope for my phone's camera that works okay, too. Mostly I use the very cheap amazon USB scope that is supposed to be 200x but I find it to actually be about 100x max, but it is quite convenient to use when honing. I can view through it on screen, or take pics. Often a strong loupe is all that is really needed though, and it is the fastest and most convenient style of honing optics. The 200x is nice for determining that previous stage scratches have been honed out. Sometimes a loupe is not all that, for that. For just looking at the bevel, determining flatness or making the edge reflect (or determining that it can't) then a loupe of 4x to 10x works great. I don't have anything expensive for that, just cheapies. Yes, there is a difference between the image from cheap vs quality optics. However it usually doesn't really matter all that much, IMHO. Pick your price range and get what you can get for it. B&L, Belomo, whatever, will gitter done. So will noname Chinese stuff.

I can recommend the B&L loupe, if you really want one. Can't say I ever use a microscope or loupe anymore. Just pay attention to the slurry and test the blade on my arm hair/HHT.

Just for looking, a cheap loupe will probably do for most just fine. Where the best optics shine though is when you're looking for tiny subtle details like on a razor apex - or especially when you'll be looking through one for hours doing something like working on a mechanical watch. Those little distortions (chromatic, planatic) can give a fellow serious eyestrain after a while.

BTW, there are levels of B&L loupe too. Bausch and Lomb has made a truckload of different styles and types. Got to be more specific for that info to help anybody out.

Last edited:
I had a triplet 18x that was given to me by a retired jeweler. Nice loupe. But I prefer the led option and have been using the "cheap ones" for a long time because of the light feature. I had a USB scope. Used it a long time ago. Gave it away actually. I see what I need to imo with the cheap Amazon led 10x.

Top Bottom